Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Look what I bought Saturday((HELP))

A little town called none of your god damn business...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott714 View Post
    Hey Roushtech how many oil changes did it have ? I didn't change it . He probably should have after that cruise home but I doubt that had anything to do with it. Just asking. Bet it didn't have 500 miles on it right ?
    No. I changed it at about 200 miles right before you got it.

Quote Originally Posted by orangejuiced86 View Post
    How does an engine drop a valve with a fresh engine? Sorry I don't understand that part.
    over revving

The rockers are stud mount....no shims involved. And before anybody says it, yes, the heads were machined for studs and guide plates.....zero lash plus a 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn for hyd rollers. Fords like a little more than chevy's do....on the big chevy's we do they only get an 1/8 to 1/4 turn.....

Quote Originally Posted by roushtech50 View Post
    over revving
    Maybe with the wrong springs for the wrong cam and too much rpm. 3500 isn't too much rpm.

I'm not gonna bash anyone, never intended to. This is race car shit even though most of those parts were stock. I've just never seen e7 heads that were cnc ported with 2.02/1.60 valves. Your right, I've barely been in this hobby so I'm more curious then anything. Not saying they aren't what they are.
    It's cool. Im just here to i guess defend myself and my ability...????

Maybe with the wrong springs for the wrong cam and too much rpm. 3500 isn't too much rpm.
    no its not...but, hammering on it in first to 6000 and then shifting into neutral instead of second because you're not familiar with reverse valve bodies can over rev......

Quote Originally Posted by Scott714 View Post
    I thought on my old 5.0 it was 19 ft lbs. But it's been so long since I set any I don't remember. I know thats how we used to set chevys snug and one half tighter. I didn't look under the covers to see what rockers it had or even question the cam .
    Also, to add to what you were saying, if the motor has been sitting then you will need to start it for a minute to pump the lifters up all the way. If you lash it and the engine has been sitting for a day or longer, some of the hydraulic pressure will have bled off. I was "lashing" my hydraulic cam and some of the lifters "lashed" and some didnt. Then i thought about the motor not being run and the bleed off of the lifters. So i pulled the coil wire and cranked the motor over for a minute (with all the rockers in place where they were as to not destroy something). Then my valve "lash" process was much quicker and simpler. Also it just felt better. I tightened mine by hand until the pushrod had a little drag on it and then turned the lock nut between 1/4 and 1/2 turn. 550+ hp sbc stock block spraying the hell out of it for years and years at 7000rpm with out a problem.

135 on the seat is perfect for that cam.....again, I do know what I'm doing.

Club Member

those valves look stock to me....anyway why dont we try to help the OP get this thing running again instead of "what if"ing? like i said i have a set of e7's maybe someone has a spare piston? if the cyl isnt all tore up this prob could have been fixed by now. just my .02
    '86 notch--> fired up and ready to go

Quote Originally Posted by 86_notch View Post
    those valves look stock to me....anyway why dont we try to help the OP get this thing running again instead of "what if"ing? like i said i have a set of e7's maybe someone has a spare piston? if the cyl isnt all tore up this prob could have been fixed by now. just my .02
    If it was me i'd pick now to be the time to get better heads. I know he has some spare cash still.

Thread Information