Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grandma's '71 Grande

Do your homework before pricing this if you sell it, originals like this get harder and harder to find
    MichiganClassics.com - Muscle & Classic car resource - Event listings - Classifieds

2000 GMC Sierra Z71 - 200K mile DD - Very green, runs on recycled dinosaurs
    1967 Camaro RS/SS L78 - Perpetual project
    Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
    My stuff on eBay

wow, that thing is rediculous. i dig it in a wierd way
    Matt -
    2010 Boost Logic GT-R
    1983 Ford Fairmont

Quote Originally Posted by jtproudmarinedad View Post
    That is a sweet unmolested original I would fix what needs to be fixed and If it was Grandma's should keep it and enjoy it with the family.
    JMO
    That would be my plan. I have the original wheelcaps and gas filler cap. I haven't found the original 14" steel wheels, yet. Grandpa was really good at keeping that stuff. If I become owner of it, I'd have to move the driver's seat back a few inches. As it stands, this car would be very uncomfortable for me to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Do your homework before pricing this if you sell it, originals like this get harder and harder to find
    That's for my uncle to decide. Grandma is still alive, but he stands to inherit the car. He lives out of state. I agreed to fix/sell it for him. A few of grandma's neighbors have been inquiring about the car and making ridiculous low-ball offers. Now that the car is gone, they should leave her alone.

Quote Originally Posted by cjmatt View Post
    wow, that thing is rediculous. i dig it in a wierd way
    Yea, it's "unique". It still smells new, too.

Today I cleaned out the fuel system and changed the oil. I removed the gas tank, fuel sending unit, and vent. Then I drained, washed, and rinsed the tank with fresh gas. The inside of the tank is like new. I removed the fuel filter and rinsed it with fresh gas, too. I added 5 gal of new gas and some lead additive. I changed the oil, filter was a BITCH to get off, and added a pint of mystery oil.

After a few pedal pumps, the carb had gas. Hooked up the battery and fired it up. A lifter was stuck for a couple seconds. The car maintained a low idle and had good throttle response. The idle needs adjusting but I'll save that for when I do a proper tune-up.

After the car came up to operating temp, I drove around the yard with my son. He was beyond excited. The car has no brakes what-so-ever, so that's a project for another weekend. My mom told me tonight that my grandma wants to drive this car again before she dies. She's 88 so I'll get working on those brakes soon.

Helping somebody with something, somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleC View Post
    Today I cleaned out the fuel system and changed the oil. I removed the gas tank, fuel sending unit, and vent. Then I drained, washed, and rinsed the tank with fresh gas. The inside of the tank is like new. I removed the fuel filter and rinsed it with fresh gas, too. I added 5 gal of new gas and some lead additive. I changed the oil, filter was a BITCH to get off, and added a pint of mystery oil.

After a few pedal pumps, the carb had gas. Hooked up the battery and fired it up. A lifter was stuck for a couple seconds. The car maintained a low idle and had good throttle response. The idle needs adjusting but I'll save that for when I do a proper tune-up.

After the car came up to operating temp, I drove around the yard with my son. He was beyond excited. The car has no brakes what-so-ever, so that's a project for another weekend. My mom told me tonight that my grandma wants to drive this car again before she dies. She's 88 so I'll get working on those brakes soon.

That's pretty cool. I love stories like this. Get those brakes done!
    George

99' S-10 Xtreme, 4.3L ex cab, nothin special DD.

Well, this project is almost done. This car was really friggin' easy to work on. In the past few weeks I've installed:
    - steel fuel lines (2-pc main and vapor line)
    - steel brake lines including rear axle
    - soft brake lines
    - brake master cylinder
    - wheel cylinders
    - brake drums
    - brake rotors, calipers, and pads
    - transmission modulator line
    - trans fluid, filter, pan gasket
    - passenger side motor mount

The car rides pretty good. Floats like a heavy-ass '70s car but that's half the fun.

Still have a few things to do:
    - replace exhaust from Y-pipe back
    - replace alternator and PS belts
    - check timing, adjust carb
    - take grandma for a ride

No new pics as nothing cosmetically has changed. Wheels and tires are a low priority unless I find a deal too good to pass- like a set of late-model 17" 'stang wheels.

I like it!

I had a 71 grande when I was 18 and sold It for $1800 to buy a truck ... I kick myself In the ASS now.

house project, car project, kid project etc.

God Bless our Troops

That's how I roll.

i hear disco music in my head just looking at that thing.

dont see cars like that anymore!

Thread Information