Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: It's that time - SALMON FISHING IN THE RIVERS

i was on the Pere marquette. I hooked into a TON of fish, but only landed 2. It was my friends first time salmon fishing and he wasn't sure how to net the damn fish. i ended up holding the rod in one hand and the net in the other.

Ludington State park had hundreds of salmon by the bridge but none at the dam.
    ---------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Christensen (PINKS)
    If you want to represent imports, don't ask for 20 cars
    Fun toys: his '99 Ford Lightning, hers '66 Mustang Coupe, quads, jet skis

We ended up over in Bear Creek, saw quite a few and caught some good ones. Met up with some guys that were over at Tippy Dam and they said it was packed with people. Stopped by Tippy yesterday and didn't see that many fish there as we did in Bear. Having more people seemed to help with netting and spotting them in some good holes.

WOW What a weekend.

After work Friday, A friend and i headed up north to the Pere Marquette for some Salmon fishing. Fished all night and morning (no sleep) and I caught my limit for "2" days... (10 salmon) and then threw back another 1/2 dozen or so. I found a hole where the fish were stacked like logs in there, Every 2-3 casts... BAMM ... another fish on.
    The guy I was with brought home 5 fish.
    So 15 fish all together. Luckily I brought 2 huge coolers.

Meanwhile, the guys on the other side of the river were yanking and trying to snag anything that was in the river. They were getting pissed i was hooking into so many fish and they were fishing 20-30' down river from me. I have a great technique that works really well for deep holes in rivers.

As we were leaving I met some guys in the parking lot and chatted with them. They said how they never had luck . yada yada. So I walked them to my spot, told them exactly what I did and BAMM... first cast, fish on... went under a log and snapped his line. He was a retired guy from GM that now owns a non=profit that fixes up cars and sells them and the profits go to his church. That was honorable I thought, so i gave him a handful of my homemade spoons. They sell similar ones up there for $1.50-$2/each. i was going to give him a spool of line, but I just bought it and it was like $10.00. (could find my regular $0.99/spool stuff). i even showed him how to tie on the spoon.

As we were walking back to the car .. BAMM another fish on. I hope he had as great a time as i did.

Got home around 5pm, relaxed for a few hours, friend came over and we commenced cleaning fish. gave my friend 2 fish for helping, vacuumed sealed all the meat, tossed it in the freezer. Then slept until 2pm Sunday.

Might go back in 2 weeks.
    ---------------------

PM'd
    ---------------------

I need to invite myself along with you one of these days. I love to fish but totally suck at it.
    67 Chevy II, Mothballed.
    96 WS6-- RESCUED, de-raping in progress...

Bitch, you know I'm glad to be back.

Forum Member

man i need to make it up there before the run is over
    care to share your technique svt?

They're still running, got a 32" and a 29" Chinook in a river just across the bridge from Port Huron. One was a little on the dark side, the other one was in great shape.

Nice Fish!

I'd love to head back up there, but my schedule is booked until it starts snowing.
    ---------------------

Quote Originally Posted by wikdsvt View Post
    Nice Fish!

I'd love to head back up there, but my schedule is booked until it starts snowing.
    Thanks! This wasn't really up there, it was in a city called Bright's Grove, just outside of Sarnia. I live in Livonia, its maybe an hour and a half for me. I just ran up for the afternoon, fished for a bit and headed home. They're still swimming in from the lake, the water isn't super cold yet.

Thread Information