Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: It's that time - SALMON FISHING IN THE RIVERS

Forum Member

Good fish guys!
    Instigator, what river those from? They are fresh!

The salmon runs suck this year I normally go a few times and this year im not due to a slow run also good luck next year if u fish the betsie or big man they just changed the hook regulations due to snagging new single hook law.

Ludingston State park has the same hook regulations. you can still pull them out of there.

I was up there for a week. We kept a couple but threw most of them back. (friend from AZ couldnt keep them). We found a couple nice holes on the pere marquette river that the fish were just sitting in. We averaged about 1 fish per 30-45 minutes. Enough to keep it interesting.
    There is a nice hole under the bridge in Scotville. The fish were hiding from the sun under the bridge and just sitting in the hole.

Towards the end of last week when the temps dropped, the fish were much more active.

I'm heading back up Friday night, but this time I'm bringing the flat bottom boat and outboard. Walking along the shore and in the river sucks.
    ---------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Christensen (PINKS)
    If you want to represent imports, don't ask for 20 cars
    Fun toys: his '99 Ford Lightning, hers '66 Mustang Coupe, quads, jet skis

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 90SuperchargedLx View Post
    The salmon runs suck this year I normally go a few times and this year im not due to a slow run also good luck next year if u fish the betsie or big man they just changed the hook regulations due to snagging new single hook law.

the single hook law doesnt take place till next year according to the female dnr officer that stopped to check our licenses.

the run has been ok on a few rivers, but the bigger rivers have certainly suffered this year

Quote Originally Posted by dudek View Post
    the single hook law doesnt take place till next year according to the female dnr officer that stopped to check our licenses.

the run has been ok on a few rivers, but the bigger rivers have certainly suffered this year
    Yea april 1 its a stupid law just so the dnr can write more tickets at places like tippy dam where everyone snags!

Forum Member

Yea april 1 its a stupid law just so the dnr can write more tickets at places like tippy dam where everyone snags!
    the betsie has quickly gone downhill the past few years for snagging as well, its nothing like the first year i was there.

personally i think its a good call and really hope it gets a lot of the trash out of there.

It's a great call to change the hook regs. So many leroys that snag and keep every last fish they keep, legal or not. The effects from it are obvious.
    1955 Chevy Bel Air, 327, 4 speed
    2020 CCSB Silverado RST

I agree to a point but some people snag and dont keep every fish or any fish also the dnr has stopped stocking so thats another reason the runs are falling off. Back in the day snagging was legal and now they wonder why people still do it. Its like the war on drugs it will never stop

I agree to a point but some people snag and dont keep every fish or any fish also the dnr has stopped stocking so thats another reason the runs are falling off. Back in the day snagging was legal and now they wonder why people still do it. Its like the war on drugs it will never stop
    It's unethical as hell and if it keeps up people will stop doing it, bc there will be nothing left to snag.
    1955 Chevy Bel Air, 327, 4 speed
    2020 CCSB Silverado RST

Quote Originally Posted by dudek View Post
    the betsie has quickly gone downhill the past few years for snagging as well, its nothing like the first year i was there.

personally i think its a good call and really hope it gets a lot of the trash out of there.
    agreed!

I'm heading back up this weekend.
    ---------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Christensen (PINKS)
    If you want to represent imports, don't ask for 20 cars
    Fun toys: his '99 Ford Lightning, hers '66 Mustang Coupe, quads, jet skis

Thread Information