Thread: Looking for some advice.

Default Looking for some advice.

Just picked up a used 2004 Grand Cherokee and I want to give the paint a good cleaning. The vehicle is super clean and I plan on keeping it forever. I hit it with a quick coat of wax and although it made it a little softer it didn't fix the problem. The paint feels "gritty". Can I smooth it out by hand or do I need to wheel it? I'm afraid of burning the paint since I have NO experience with wheeling out a car. I'm not against trying it but I would be bummed if I fucked it up. How about clay baring it? I've never done it but would that smooth 'er out. I'm not afraid to spend the time on it, I just want some decent results for my time.

Also, when I waxed it I was a few cocktails in, and I spewed wax all over the lower body cladding. Any ideas on what to use to get that shit off. Washing it hasn't done the trick and it looks like shit. Here's a shot of what the thing looks like to get an idea of how much un-waxable body cladding there is.

Thanks for any help!!! And sweet new sub-forum!!

Man wish I could of seen the look on your face when you did this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Clay bar the car, then rub it with Wizards finish cut, then follow it up with a good wax again. The vehicle looks clean so I would recommend a heavier compound than that.

Megiuars makes a good product for compound sling removal, and this Wizards Black Renew is what to put on the cladding and any other black trim afterwards to make it look like new again. I have not had a better product than this...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Elected Club Official

I've heard that peanut butter is suppose to take wax off of the plastic trim but i've never tried it lol

I've had good luck with the Mothers clay bar. I used it on my parents 65 Lemans and it came out real nice. I would go one step at a time because the finishing compounds are abrasives and are used to make paint smooth. If your paint is smooth and it is just dirt or whatever else on top of your paint the clay bar should take it off. But, if the clay bar doesn't work, then go to the compounds.

Thanks guys!! I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Reiko, Nick, you guys can go back to skipping and holding hands.

Helping somebody with something, somehow.

Go pick your self up a Mequiars Clay bar kit.The are about $15 bucks. Once your done clay-barring, use the cleaner wax it comes with, (liquid, after that step the paint on your jeep SHOULD be pretty smooth, wipe it all down real well with a nice microfiber (comes with a nice one) and then use Mequiars Gold Class paste wax.

The Wizards Trim Renew stuff works great, as does Mothers "Back to Black".

Good luck, and keep us posted on how she turns out!!
    George

99' S-10 Xtreme, 4.3L ex cab, nothin special DD.

Thread Information