Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used bumper repair

Default Used bumper repair

i found a bumper for cheap that i think im gonna go pick up. The yard says its scratched and the clear coat is pealing.

What sanding methods should i use to even out and take down the clear coat to prep it for primer/paint? Is there an indicator of a scratch being "too deep" into the urethane that would make it not worth buying?

If it matters, its a front mustang cover.
    -Nate

Club Member controlled insanity's Avatar

in the same situation

subscribed
    currently broken.

Quote Originally Posted by nmcgrawj View Post
    i found a bumper for cheap that i think im gonna go pick up. The yard says its scratched and the clear coat is pealing.

What sanding methods should i use to even out and take down the clear coat to prep it for primer/paint? Is there an indicator of a scratch being "too deep" into the urethane that would make it not worth buying?

If it matters, its a front mustang cover.
    depends on how cheap... i have repaired covers that were torn in two before if i couldn't get a new one...

This is what Kevin/slideways told me. Sounds like a plan...

if the clear is peeling your going to want to make sure you sand it back untill you get to the areas where the clear is still well adheared (sp?) i would use 400-600 grit on a DA sander for this step. And assuming the scratches go into the plastic its nothing that a 2 part urethane bumper repair material couldnt fix rather easily.
    -Nate

320/400 would be fine...your gonna end up priming it anyway... sounds like your on the right road....

Forum Member

i would start with 150 or 220. prime then block with 320 and 600 depending on the color and type of paint...

Nate if the clear is peeling start with 220, or 320 and go from there. I usually finish sand covers with 320 on a DA, then use Scotch Brite pad by hand.

If it's a total repaint and the paint is actually flaking and chipping....strip it with a DA using 80 grit. I've taken down covers to the urethane to refinish. This is my 96 Cobra cover. 8 years and 20,000 miles of summer only conditions and it still did this.

Before...

Primer...Nason Urethane 2K

After...Nason Ful-Thane Urethane paint (single stage) I highly recommend it. It's harder than bc/cc and resists future rock chips.

Last edited by SVT32VDOHC; 10-15-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SVT32VDOHC View Post
    Nate if the clear is peeling start with 220, or 320 and go from there. I usually finish sand covers with 320 on a DA, then use Scotch Brite pad by hand.

If it's a total repaint and the paint is actually flaking and chipping....strip it with a DA using 80 grit. I've taken down covers to the urethane to refinish. This is my 96 Cobra cover. 8 years and 20,000 miles of summer only conditions and it still did this.

Before...

Sweet man, thanks for the tips!
    -Nate

Quote Originally Posted by nmcgrawj View Post
    Sweet man, thanks for the tips!
    No problem. I've used 150 on others, it depends how bad of one you start with.

Another for example...

Before, during, after. The white is not a primer, it's a 2K Urethane Sealer over the yellow Urethane 2K primer. I loved using the sealer.

Thread Information