Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Used bumper repair

Why do you use the white sealer? Color change applications?

Did you put on the primer, sealer, then topcoat?
    -Nate

Quote Originally Posted by nmcgrawj View Post
    Why do you use the white sealer? Color change applications?

Did you put on the primer, sealer, then topcoat?
    Primer, sealer, paint.

The sealer is used so you get a nice level paint job. It is as hard as a rock and it keeps any old paint from "popping" under your new paint job. It is also good for when you have original paint here and there and primer here and there from body work. If you are doing a complete job it's nice to coat the entire car in a sealer then paint it.

I used the white sealer on this yellow cover because the lighter the paint, the lighter the sealer you need. It really makes the yellow paint bright. Say I painted a used black cover yellow. It would not be as bright, nor would it match the rest of the car that I used the white sealer on either.

I highly recommend this for bumper covers and complete paint jobs. For black jobs, you can use grey sealer. Nason makes most colors, but they didn't make white. Dupont was the only brand that made white. It was a little bit more money since it's Dupont, but if you are spraying black just go with grey.
    Last edited by SVT32VDOHC; 10-15-2009 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SVT32VDOHC View Post
    Primer, sealer, paint.

The sealer is used so you get a nice level paint job. It is as hard as a rock and it keeps any old paint from "popping" under your new paint job. It is also good for when you have original paint here and there and primer here and there from body work. If you are doing a complete job it's nice to coat the entire car in a sealer then paint it.

I used the white sealer on this yellow cover because the lighter the paint, the lighter the sealer you need. It really makes the yellow paint bright. Say I painted a used black cover yellow. It would not be as bright, nor would it match the rest of the car that I used the white sealer on either.

I highly recommend this for bumper covers and complete paint jobs. For black jobs, you can use grey sealer. Nason makes most colors, but they didn't make white. Dupont was the only brand that made white. It was a little bit more money since it's Dupont, but if you are spraying black just go with grey.
    Makes sense. You did not use a sealer on that black cobra bumper though right?

Did you have to add anything to the Nason Ful-thane primer/black paint you used to make it more flexible since its on a urethene bumper? Or is that built into that kind of paint?
    -Nate

Quote Originally Posted by nmcgrawj View Post
    Makes sense. You did not use a sealer on that black cobra bumper though right?

Did you have to add anything to the Nason Ful-thane primer/black paint you used to make it more flexible since its on a urethene bumper? Or is that built into that kind of paint?
    I know we covered more info through PM's, but...No, I did not use a sealer on the Cobra cover. I stripped the entire thing down to the bumper material, two coats of 2K primer and painted it. I think I was out of sealer at the time and I was selling that car to a friend anyways.

I know we covered more info through PM's, but...No, I did not use a sealer on the Cobra cover. I stripped the entire thing down to the bumper material, two coats of 2K primer and painted it. I think I was out of sealer at the time and I was selling that car to a friend anyways.

-Nate

Primer, sealer, paint.

You would be suprised however, Sometimes when your painting white, it pops the most with black underneath it. Obviously harder to get coverage however.
    '00 Stage 2 Roush Mustang 2v Swap...
    '04 YFZ450- Turbo Stock Bore
    '04 Sierra 2500- CCSB LB7
    '01 Blazer- 5.3 Project/Garage decor

Twister Racing 2k13

Thread Information