Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 89 Coupe rear 1/4 glass trim thats sun faded

Quote Originally Posted by smooth View Post
    I usually start at the bottom of the trim near cowl panel and work my way up, just slide the leading edge of the tool until you feel it hook the clip,gently pull the trim up with one hand while sliding the trim tool up or down, you'll get the hang it's not hard just don't pull on the trim to hard you will feel it release.
    i usually bend the shit out of the moldings....

damn amateur.....

I have done 3 pairs. Sandpaper grit depends on how bad of a pair you start with. 150 is a good place to start, then 320, then prime like crazy and sand between every 1 or 2 coats. Do this again and again and again until they are perfect. Put a few coats of trim black, then....SEM makes a "low luster clear" that I used on the last pair. It sealed the deal. The 2nd pair I did, I did not use the clear, and after cold weather, moisture must have gotten in and made tiny...almost microscopic bubbles in the paint. It was noticeable close up (within 6 inches) but not from 12" or further. But when you are restoring something, take pride in what you do and do it correctly.

BTW....do this OUT OF THE CAR. If you do these in the car, then take them out for paint the body....you will crack the shit out of the primer and paint and they will be ruined.

Never took befores, but here are the afters...

And yes...the yellow strip is suppose to be black and it was...the car was NOT finished at this point.

that's a damn nice job!...props to you.

Quote Originally Posted by hangemhigh View Post
    that's a damn nice job!...props to you.
    Thanks. It's all time. I spent a lot of time on this pair, and could have spent even more. It's actaully very cheap to repair.

I just used rattle can primer too. Next pair, I want to try my Nason Urethane 2K primer. I don't know why I didn't think it use that before. A couple coats of that versus the couple CANS of the cheap stuff would have saved me lots of time.

Quote Originally Posted by SVT32VDOHC View Post
    Next pair, I want to try my Nason Urethane 2K primer. I don't know why I didn't think it use that before. A couple coats of that versus the couple CANS of the cheap stuff would have saved me lots of time.
    Want to try on mine?

Quote Originally Posted by Violent J View Post
    Want to try on mine?
    Yes, I would. PM me if your are serious.

Quote Originally Posted by SVT32VDOHC View Post
    Yes, I would. PM me if your are serious.
    seems like that'd be a nice little side gig. hell, i've got 3 sets that i wouldn't use, but after sprucing them up......what the heck, they'd be great.

Quote Originally Posted by hangemhigh View Post
    seems like that'd be a nice little side gig. hell, i've got 3 sets that i wouldn't use, but after sprucing them up......what the heck, they'd be great.
    I don't mind doing them. It depends how bad they are to start, which depends how good they look when they're done. If they are really pitted, sometimes that fine line that wraps around the molding disappears, I'm sure that wouldn't matter to most, as long as the molding is smooth and one color again.

Before

After

Thanks again Matt (SVT32VDOHC)
    Last edited by Violent J; 05-20-2010 at 07:41 AM.

Looks good. I need to do mine or get them done. Although my before is not quite as bad as yours. Mine are just starting to pit

Thread Information