Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wishbone

Default Wishbone

Whats the purpose for one a stock suspension Mustang
    along with a antiroll bar?

YES my shit is slow and NO you can't drive it!

Quote Originally Posted by dmracing1982 View Post
    Whats the purpose for one a stock suspension Mustang
    along with a antiroll bar?
    What are you doing with the car? Drag race? Road race?

Did the wizard ever get back to you about that brain?????

Drag race. But I thought the triangulated uppers were supposed to keep the rear straight in the catr.
    Last edited by dmracing1982; 11-19-2009 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dmracing1982 View Post
    Drag race. But I thought the triangulated uppers were supposed to keep the rear straight in the catr.
    I think there is movement in the heim joints...it's not a lot, but there is some movement. Sometimes you can shake the car from side to side when it's parked and feel some of it. I'm not sure how necessary the wishbone is, but some of the fast small tire NMRA cars run them. We put a "track locator" on my car this year, which works sorta like the wishbone except there's just one bar. The car went straight, but it might have without it anyhow.
    11 Mustang GT (street car)
    87 Grand National (grudge car)
    Misc old Ford street cars

Club Sponsor

A wish bone on a triangulated 4 link is not necessary, if the car is set up right with the proper instant center the car will be stable at high speeds

Basically what happens is people lower their cars as the car gets lower so does the front suspension mounting points, now put on taller tires like a 28X10.5 or the taller 315 radial the mounting points on the housing move up!
    This causes the instant center to move down and foreword, The instant center for those who don't understand is an imaginary point that all suspension forces work through or even simpler the point that the suspension is trying to move the car through.
    So if the car is being moved/pushed low and out front the rear is going to dance at high speed, think of a caster on the front of a shopping cart being pushed real fast, the attachment point of the caster is out front and the wheel travels behind and wiggles back and forth...

Is a wish bone needed NO in the hand of a smart chassis tuner it can be used as a traction device which is totally not what it is intended for!
    "You didn't Build it" LMFAO isn't that what Oboma said too?

Quote Originally Posted by Team Z Motorsports View Post
    A wish bone on a triangulated 4 link is not necessary, if the car is set up right with the proper instant center the car will be stable at high speeds

Basically what happens is people lower their cars as the car gets lower so does the front suspension mounting points, now put on taller tires like a 28X10.5 or the taller 315 radial the mounting points on the housing move up!
    This causes the instant center to move down and foreword, The instant center for those who don't understand is an imaginary point that all suspension forces work through or even simpler the point that the suspension is trying to move the car through.
    So if the car is being moved/pushed low and out front the rear is going to dance at high speed, think of a caster on the front of a shopping cart being pushed real fast, the attachment point of the caster is out front and the wheel travels behind and wiggles back and forth...

Is a wish bone needed NO in the hand of a smart chassis tuner it can be used as a traction device which is totally not what it is intended for!

Thx for posting Dave. It's not often people can learn anything from reading this board.

Obviously the wish bone doesn't do anything to correct suspension geometry, right? So are you saying that if the car is right in the first place, there is no need for one?

Quote Originally Posted by Team Z Motorsports View Post

Thx for posting Dave. It's not often people can learn anything from reading this board.

So the wish bone doesn't do anything to correct suspension geometry, right? So are you saying that if the car is right in the first place, there is no need for one?

Thats what I wanted to find out. So in reality it should not be needed. I would just rather spend my money on needed things rather than things I dont need.

Club Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Fryguy302 View Post

So the wish bone doesn't do anything to correct suspension geometry, right? So are you saying that if the car is right in the first place, there is no need for one?
    Exactly if the geometry is done right there is not a need, but on a 7 second car where there may be a compromise in suspension because it's to low and you don't have enough adjust ability, you could use one but that would be like using a band aid on a broken arm!
    "You didn't Build it" LMFAO isn't that what Oboma said too?

So how low can a stock suspension car go without getting into trouble?

Thread Information