Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DTE shut gas off...

Quote Originally Posted by mymizzery View Post
    you have to be there, what do you think would happen if they came out and turned the gas back on and no one was there to light the pilot lights. And then no one comes home for a few hours. and then al of a sudden your refrigerator kicks on, and:

BOOM

you have a new skylight!!!
    Gas shouldn't flow unless the thermocouple heats up. When a pilot light goes out gas stops flowing.
    84 Mustang Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by raroz28 View Post
    So DTE cut off my gf's dad's gas.

They're coming out tomorrow to turn it back on. Does anybody have to be home for them to turn it on? I'm assuming not since they shut it off without anybody being home, it's all done from the outside. The only thing I could see them needing to come in for would be to light the pilot.

Anybody know for sure?
    someone has to be there, PM me his name and address. ill get someone there.

Quote Originally Posted by TRBOBUICK View Post
    You want to be there. If they fail, they have to come back out and lighting pilots can be a pain sometimes.
    MUST be there for gas. no two ways about it.

Quote Originally Posted by seXysiXer View Post
    I would call a tv news station and report it. its freaking in the 20s at night.

I thought they passed a law that they cant turn you off in the cold months?
    they also passed a law that you gotta pay your bills. it would not have been shut off if he called to set up a payment plan or we were notified of medical conditions. whats it with people who dont want to pay bills, that think its ok to run to the news media? hey shit aint free. i need my paycheck every other week too!

Quote Originally Posted by raroz28 View Post
    The worst part is he had just gotten home from Surgery on his foot on Friday when they did it, so he's laid up in bed and his house was 40 degrees before he got a space heater.
    we dont shut off for one month missed payment. there is more to the story. he has missed more than one payment, how is this DTE's fault??? pay the bill on time, problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Gearbox View Post
    Absolutely positivity you have to be there....they have no way of telling if any thing is left on or open in the home...they will not turn it on unless they can check the interior.
    DTE policy is, we light the pilots. and we do it for free, other gas companies charge to do this

Quote Originally Posted by mymizzery View Post
    you have to be there, what do you think would happen if they came out and turned the gas back on and no one was there to light the pilot lights. And then no one comes home for a few hours. and then al of a sudden your refrigerator kicks on, and:

BOOM

you have a new skylight!!!
    highly exaggerated, takes more than a few hours for a water heater pilot, at 3.5WC to fill a house to 5-15% gas where a fridge on the first floor would light it off.

Quote Originally Posted by wayfastwhitey191 View Post
    don't they have to bleed everything too like the clothes dryer and those appliances
    sometimes, depends on how long the gas was off

Quote Originally Posted by fogged10 View Post
    you have to be there and if they show up and know one is there you will be charged. i work for a gas company and we charged $75.00 for no show's!
    DTE does not charge for missed appts, although we should to all the assholes that threaten to call the news on us!

Quote Originally Posted by fogged10 View Post
    they do not have to bleed anything esp if the gas was only off for a short period. all they will do is a meter test for 10 min and re-light all the pilot's.
    5 min spot test in our P&P book

Quote Originally Posted by BB71Mopar View Post
    Dont they start off with a shadow test? I was told I had to be home in order for them to turn my gas on.
    never heard that term before

Quote Originally Posted by nitrousrick View Post
    Gas shouldn't flow unless the thermocouple heats up. When a pilot light goes out gas stops flowing.
    in a perfect world this is true. thermocouples go bad and stick open, older homes have B valves that must be shut off manually, and the meter spot test is also to all the pipes in the house for leaks, happens everyday, people just dont know they have a gas leak till we find it during this test. we also fix these leaks for free if it takes less than 30-40 mins, we wont pull down the whole piping system to fix something if it will take more than 30-40 mins, we will charge after that, but you will know ahead of time, and most guys will fix for free anyway, i do. other gas companies will just shut your shit back off and tell you to get a plumber.

Club Member

where would we be without Anthony..
    Mike

- 98 gt forged and blown, just a lil...

I removed my teeth on purpose....if you catch my drift Stalker's Avatar

Probably on Motown posting about nude chicks.
    '13 Dodge Charger R/T
    '14 Druango R/T Blacktop Edition

lol that had to be the longest multi-post reply i have read ever! +1

Quote Originally Posted by nitrousrick View Post
    ok, but for whatever reason if my stove top pilot light goes out it still flows. not so much in the winter, but in the summer if our kitchen window is open I have to check it every couple of hours to make sure it didn't go out. the way my house and garage are it creates a wind tunnel, and that window is about 5 ft. from the stove. so we normally keep that window closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    we dont shut off for one month missed payment. there is more to the story. he has missed more than one payment, how is this DTE's fault??? pay the bill on time, problem solved
    True he WAS behind. He makes good money and has no problem keeping up on anything he's just really lazy and doesn't pay attention to his bills. He sent his payment on the 22nd of Nov. and they shut it off on the 4th. Not saying it's totally their fault, but maybe they were behind on their processing because of the holiday.

Thread Information