Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Undercarriage Prep

You aren't gonna "learn" much prepping the bottom of your car. I would get I blasted and paint it right. I know you want the car done asap but this little but of extra work can save you a ton in the long run.

To be honest prepping the underside of a car by hand is probably the worst way to go about it, media blasting will give you better adhesion and you have the ability to spray an acid/etch prime before your chassis paint. But if you want to do it by hand I would start with a can of aircraft stripper.

Are you wanting to prep the underside for a show quality smooth appearance?
    I have a bad case of Automotive A.D.D.

WWW.DETROITRACING.COM

Quote Originally Posted by 91trunk View Post
    Now this is an acceptable use of photos and video's in the Pub.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth View Post
    To be honest prepping the underside of a car by hand is probably the worst way to go about it, media blasting will give you better adhesion and you have the ability to spray an acid/etch prime before your chassis paint. But if you want to do it by hand I would start with a can of aircraft stripper.

Are you wanting to prep the underside for a show quality smooth appearance?
    Just to get the dirt and grime off before I apply the Chassis saver... That way it looks halfway decent...
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Simple green and some scrub pads then!

Oh and some shitty cloths!

blast it
    www.Addictsracing.com 248-852-9710
    ASE certified Master Technician
    '88 Lancer Shelby 2.5T2 under the knife '79 Trans Am T-tops 455 rocket

In the back of a jacked up tailgate. Sittin' 'round watchin' all these pretty things.

I did this with my car it was a nightmare when i do the next one I'm going to see if someone has a rotisserie and either blast it myself or take it to my bud after i see how much he charges me.
    "BUILT not BOUGHT"

95 F250 4x4 12"s of lift on 38s
    Cummins swap someday

To attempt the destruction of our passions is the height of folly. What a noble aim is that of the zealot who tortures himself like a madman in order to desire nothing, love nothing, feel nothing, and who, if he succeeded, would end up a complete monster!

Denis Diderot

use a HOT water pressure washer soak the entire underside with kerosene then use the pressure washer, it will remove everything but the paint, even the factory undercoat will come off
    To me, it's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, "Hey, can you give me a hand?" You can say, "Sorry, got these sacks."

I used the power washer and went to town, then sprayed POR15.

This is my old yellow coupe. 1981 body. Didn't strip it though. Any surface rust, or whatever.....it got painted over. That's what Chassis Saver and POR15 do...sticks to rust better than bare metal.

The inside, I just spray bombed with some SEM trim black for the helluva it.

Nice...
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Quote Originally Posted by SVT32VDOHC View Post
    I used the power washer and went to town, then sprayed POR15.

This is my old yellow coupe. 1981 body. Didn't strip it though. Any surface rust, or whatever.....it got painted over. That's what Chassis Saver and POR15 do...sticks to rust better than bare metal.

The inside, I just spray bombed with some SEM trim black for the helluva it.
    u sprayed POR15? that had to be fun to clean up hahaha. I couldnt imagine putting that stuff into the air.
    Matt -
    2010 Boost Logic GT-R
    1983 Ford Fairmont

Thread Information