Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your set-up at home...

Default Your set-up at home...

I have a strong interest in painting, I always have and I really want to start painting more. More so as a hobby but for side jobs also. I think this summer I am going to upgrade my garage a bit. So I am curious on what your set-up is, for ventilation, compressor etc.. I have to upgrade the electrical first and for most.

I am mainly looking for ideas. My buddy does heating and cooling and he says he can can make me a sweet ventilation set-up from old shit he rips out when he installs new furnaces. I am on a budget, but that doesn't mean I want to buy the biggest cheapest compressor, it just means I will have to be patient and save a little longer for a decent one.

I'm more intrigued with ventilation set-ups.

YES my shit is slow and NO you can't drive it!

Ryan, I just picked up this compressor recently. It was orginally listed for $799 but was on sale for $749. Then, Lowe's also offered a $100 gift card for purchasing it. IMO $649 is a good price for this setup. As a bonus I sold my old compressor for $100 so I really only have about $550 invested. I'm sure if you spread the word that you are looking for one, you could probably pick up a used one like it and spend even less. Don't forget about the Lowe's coupon that you can get if you tell them you are moving. It's been awhile since I used it but it sounds like you can get away with saving a little more money that way too. Good luck.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...r%20Compressor

Did the wizard ever get back to you about that brain?????

Thats a nice compressor. I had always heard the 2 stage compressors were better for painting? I was looking on craigslist earlier for one. Not really in the market just yet but just seeing whats out there.

I really want to get the ventilation deal figured out. My buddy does heating and cooling and he is supposed to come over next week and we are going to discuss any possibilities.

I'm reading up right now on using positive pressure? Anyone know anything about this?

My main goal is basically turn the entire garage into a booth. I will only sheet the floor and a small work bench area where my tools are. I have a smaller garage. I'm going to hang a ceiling with reflective insulation type board. That should help light up the area nicely. and I will have lights on the sides and corners.

Again, any idea would be great. I'm not going to be doing any real work to the garage until spring so there is no rush. I want to take my time and do it right the first time.

You've seen my garage...nothin special. I have a basic old school cross draft set up, dual 16" Dayton multi-speed exhaust fans in the back wall, air intake coming through the roof. I have a lot of lights but one thing I would do different is Epoxy my floor a real light gray for better clean up & reflection
    I have a bad case of Automotive A.D.D.

WWW.DETROITRACING.COM

Quote Originally Posted by 91trunk View Post
    Now this is an acceptable use of photos and video's in the Pub.

Yes, I am definitely going to Epoxy the floor.

YES my shit is slow and NO you can't drive it!

Quote Originally Posted by orangejuiced86 View Post
    Thats a nice compressor. I haven't wired it yet but I'm really happy to finally have it. I've been eyeballing it for over a year.

I'm going to hang a ceiling with reflective insulation type board. That should help light up the area nicely. and I will have lights on the sides and corners.

That sounds like a great idea.
    Sounds like your on the right track.

Did the wizard ever get back to you about that brain?????

Smokin' cigarettes and watchin' Captain Kangaroo

Quote Originally Posted by orangejuiced86 View Post
    Thats a nice compressor. I had always heard the 2 stage compressors were better for painting? I was looking on craigslist earlier for one. Not really in the market just yet but just seeing whats out there.

I really want to get the ventilation deal figured out. My buddy does heating and cooling and he is supposed to come over next week and we are going to discuss any possibilities.

I'm reading up right now on using positive pressure? Anyone know anything about this?

My main goal is basically turn the entire garage into a booth. I will only sheet the floor and a small work bench area where my tools are. I have a smaller garage. I'm going to hang a ceiling with reflective insulation type board. That should help light up the area nicely. and I will have lights on the sides and corners.

Again, any idea would be great. I'm not going to be doing any real work to the garage until spring so there is no rush. I want to take my time and do it right the first time.
    I have an 80 gallon single stage DeVillbiss that's kinda tired, it gets the job done though. I just put a fan in the window, crack the big door a bit, wet the floor and start spraying. It's just a hobby for me too, but I have a friend who wants me to paint a car in the spring, and I think I might take it on. I sold it to him over the summer, and I had most of the bodywork done already. I'm good at bodywork, just still kinda green at painting. I like doing it though. (painting, not bodywork) The most I've ever done was my leased Dakota, I had to paint both bedsides and a door. It turned out pretty good. I'm kinda exited about painting a whole car. I wish I would have painted my Coronet, then I could say I did it all. I just had so much time in it I was afraid of messing something up. Besides, a friend did it in the booth at his work for 500 bucks. It's not worth me prepping the garage for that. I have a Sharpe Platinum HVLP gun that I use for base and clear. Also, light the hell out of your garage. I have 8 eight foot H.O. fixtures in a three car garage, and 2 four footers over my bench area.
    Last edited by DRAG-ULA; 01-11-2010 at 10:10 PM.
    I used to be 'with it'. Then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm 'with' isn't 'it', and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me.......

1948 Dodge B1 pickup

Im building this right now that is going to be my new booth. Currently I still have my setup in my dads garage wich just consisted of a 12x20 enclosed room with not enough lighting and too small an exhaust fan lol, Not ideal but has worked awesome for me for the last 5 years. What I've been told is best is to have enough cfm in your fans to fully exhaust all the air in your space in 1 minute or less. For inlet I just have filters open to the outside of the room. Not sure what im going to do in the new garage but like smooth said I will for sure be putting an epoxy on the floor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (39.0 KB, 202 views)
    '00 Stage 2 Roush Mustang 2v Swap...
    '04 YFZ450- Turbo Stock Bore
    '04 Sierra 2500- CCSB LB7
    '01 Blazer- 5.3 Project/Garage decor

Twister Racing 2k13

As far as air I've been using a 60 gal standup cambell houfeild compressor from tractor supply for $400 for a few years and it been working great! Really a great bang for the buck if you ask me.

Smooth, What exactly do you mean when you say you have an air intake coming thru the roof? I would be intersted in doing somehting like that in my new place. And does everyone filter their air going out or no?
    '00 Stage 2 Roush Mustang 2v Swap...
    '04 YFZ450- Turbo Stock Bore
    '04 Sierra 2500- CCSB LB7
    '01 Blazer- 5.3 Project/Garage decor

Twister Racing 2k13

Thread Information