Thread: Cut down on dust...

Default Cut down on dust...

The Mustang I'm prepping the underside to chassis saver it... So I been taking a scotch bright red pad to the underside to get rid of the loose dirt and grim... Only problem is the whole fucking underside is covered in dirt bad... When I scotch bright it down it's clean metal... It's not damaged from rust or anything... Just covered in dirt all over the place...

Any tips on keeping the dust down? I was going to take a sprayer and fill it with water and mist the area's down before I start scotch brighting it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Degrease/wash it first. You'll probably have to try a few different cleaners to see which one works best for your application. Covered in dirt bad is kind of a broad description, if it's just normal sandy dirt I'd try soap and water first or maybe wipe it down with isoprophyl alcohol. If there's any amount of grease or grime to it I'd start with an all-purpose cleaner and gradually get more aggressive chemicals if you find you need them. I ended up using Naptha on mine, it doesn't smell that bad in my opinion, but still make sure to have good ventilation cause it'll get ya after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdie2000 View Post
    Degrease/wash it first. You'll probably have to try a few different cleaners to see which one works best for your application. Covered in dirt bad is kind of a broad description, if it's just normal sandy dirt I'd try soap and water first or maybe wipe it down with isoprophyl alcohol. If there's any amount of grease or grime to it I'd start with an all-purpose cleaner and gradually get more aggressive chemicals if you find you need them. I ended up using Naptha on mine, it doesn't smell that bad in my opinion, but still make sure to have good ventilation cause it'll get ya after a while.
    There really isn't any grease on the bottom at all... Just regular dirt...

Thanks...
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Get some Sikkens M600 wax/grease remover and a spray bottle but wear a respirator, the shit's volatile! It's also good to use that stuff right before you spray the car, it removes any contaimination that may cause craters(fisheyes)
    I have a bad case of Automotive A.D.D.

WWW.DETROITRACING.COM

Quote Originally Posted by 91trunk View Post
    Now this is an acceptable use of photos and video's in the Pub.

Quick question, what kinda spray bottle would you recommend using for that and where would I get it? I've yet to find a good one aside from the stuff from the dollar store, and I know there's probably a great one that body guys use that can move a lot more liquid with a lot less effort.

Thread Information