Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve Lisk Hemi Challenger

Club Member

I saw that car run at Milan in the 70s. For a while it had the title of "fastest street car in America". I think it was running low tens when I saw it at Milan. His brother (I think) Tom Lisk had a killer black big block '71 (?) Trans Am that cleaned our clocks bad on Woodward in the mid-late 70s. It beat us so bad I thought my buddy had his '68, 327 4 speed 4.56 geared Camaro in reverse.
    Last edited by DeFormula; 01-19-2010 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelledave View Post
    its mentioned in the new hotrod ...just got it today...
    Got mine today but I wasn't sure if this was based off that story or not but Hot Rod wants to know where it is also.

Rugs Mustang was runnin 9:80's to 9:40's

Forum Member

alrighty, I did some background searching on this car.. I work with Tom Lisk.. So I asked him if he had a brother named Steve. Sure enough, they are related and he talked about his Trans Am with a Chevy drivetrain LS7 and said it was a screamer as well. Anyways, he told me that his brother ran a 9.60 as his fastest time at the strip. The Challenger is *gasp* still in Michigan and owned by a transmission shop owner right now. He did not mention the name. Tom said the owner has done the trans' on most of his performance cars he's owned. I'm not sure how recent this is tracked too, but at least the time of the trans being done in his vette.

Any questions that you guys have for him.. I can ask.. he may not know the full details because it's been a few years, but I can have him ask his brother

Forum Member

I just read about it this weekend....

Very interesting thread.
    I am glad to see it is in good hands though!!!

Quote Originally Posted by intriguing View Post
    alrighty, I did some background searching on this car.. I work with Tom Lisk.. So I asked him if he had a brother named Steve. Sure enough, they are related and he talked about his Trans Am with a Chevy drivetrain LS7 and said it was a screamer as well. Anyways, he told me that his brother ran a 9.60 as his fastest time at the strip. The Challenger is *gasp* still in Michigan and owned by a transmission shop owner right now. He did not mention the name. Tom said the owner has done the trans' on most of his performance cars he's owned. I'm not sure how recent this is tracked too, but at least the time of the trans being done in his vette.

Any questions that you guys have for him.. I can ask.. he may not know the full details because it's been a few years, but I can have him ask his brother
    Zing! The person you speak of still owns the car.

Intriguing, do you work at the Cadillac dealer in Troy?

Forum Member

quite possibly

Mike Ridings owns the Challenger?
    Matt -
    2010 Boost Logic GT-R
    1983 Ford Fairmont

+
    ++
    wrong

Forum Member

The Challenger NEVER raced the silver bullet according to Steve Lisk; Tom called to confirm this last night.. although on paper it was much faster.. 9.60 Challenger vs. a 10.30 Silver Bullet

Tom told me a story today about driving behind his brother Steve in the Challenger when the lenco started pissing trans fluid all over his Trans Am. His brother did not race a ton, but when he did it was with specific cars and people. He and that Joe guy would go back and forth, but when things came down to it, the Challenger would beat the Mustang every time when they were both running properly (which was not very often according to Tom.)

sidenote.. A guy at work with the last name Hehn, who owned a Dart with a 440-6 pack in it, hung out with Steve Lisk and talked about races on 696 and the Golden Nugget restaurant. Cool stuff. He brought in an article from 1976 in Car and Driver by Brock Yates about the Detroit street racing scene. some awesome stuff in it. Pics of Joe's Stang, Lisk's Challenger, and a pic with the Golden Nugget.

Thread Information