Thread: Network setup help - Second wireless router on network

Default Network setup help - Second wireless router on network

I'm trying to add a second wireless router on my home network to share internet access but not have access to my other computers. Router #2 in is connected to router #1 out. I turned off DHCP on #2. I can connect to the internet on #2 on my laptop, which was previously connected to it, so it has an IP. But when I try to connect my tablet to it, it just sits at "Obtaining IP Address...". What setting am I missing?

IP address for router #1 is 168.192.1.x while #2 is 168.192.2.x. Do I need to put #2 on the same one?
    Matt

2005 Corvette Z51

does your original router have a "guest" account it can broadcast? I know i can do 5 with mine, only allowing internet access to those SSID's.
    Rick
    1993 Mustang LX Coupe

Sounds like you're trying to set up a repeater-bridge. Router #1 should have the SPI firewall disabled, DHCP disabled, and the IP address should be on the same subnet. If router #1 is 192.168.1.1, router #2 should be 192.168.1.2. Router #2 should have similar settings as #1, same DNS server settings, same subnet mask, but the gateway will be router #1, or 192.168.1.1. Make sure the channels are different, too, you don't want one interfering with the other. The SSID should be similar to that of router #1, just so you can differentiate between them.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter70 View Post
    share internet access but not have access to my other computers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    Sounds like you're trying to set up a repeater-bridge.
    Not a repeater bridge if he wants the the 2 inner networks to be completely isolated.

Scooter - Who is your ISP? WOW? If not, you need to find out how many IPs they'll DHCP per customer. WOW is 3, not sure about Comcast/ATT.

Assuming you want to 2 completely separate networks, but both share your single Internet connection, I would do the following ASSUMING YOUR ISP WILL DHCP MORE THAN 1 IP:

- Go buy a cheap 4 port (or larger) 10/100 Mbps switch. Gigabit is even better, but not required. Spend < $15. Trendnet makes good, cheap unmanaged switches in the price range. If you already have one laying around, even better.
    - Power off your cable modem, and both routers.
    - Plug the cable modem Ethernet cable into the port 1 of the 4-port switch.
    - Plug the WAN/Internet port of Router #1 into switch port #2.
    - Plug the WAN/Internet port of Router #2 into the switch port #3.
    - Power on the cable modem. Wait 5 minutes.
    - Power on both routers.

- Plug your laptop temporarily into LAN port #1 on Router #1. Log into the router mgmt IP and configure the SSID, wireless security (WPA2, AES, PSK, etc.). DHCP server should be enabled.
    - Unplug your laptop, and re-plug into LAN port #1 on Router #2. Log into the router mgmt IP and configure the SSID (make sure to use a different SSID and channel # than above), wireless security (WPA2, AES, PSK, etc.). DHCP server should be enabled. DHCP setting can be the same or different than Router #1 - doesn't matter.
    - Both routers/networks should have Internet access now through wired and wireless.

- Plug your old network into Router #1.
    - Plug your new network into Router #2.
    - Drink beer.

PS. If your router supports a "guest network" function, you could use that & only have a single router.
    PSS. If your ISP only provides 1 IP, then this gets a lot more complicated as you'll need to configure firewall rules or NACLs to isolate the 2 networks.
    PSSS. If you have a Vonage or OOMA or other VoIP adapter, you could also plug that into switch port #4 to keep that device off of your internal home network. But that assumes your ISP will give you 3 IPs.

Wow. Thanks for all of that. I have AT&T UVerse. I actually just added a Trendnet 4port switch a few days ago to add ports at my PC but I put it after router #1 and plugged #2 into it.
    The other thing I wanted to gain with this setup is more wired ports at the main TV in the living room for the smart TV and dvd player so the single router in my office doesn't help that.

Sent from my MotoX using Tapatalk.
    Last edited by Scooter70; 03-28-2015 at 06:36 PM.
    Matt

2005 Corvette Z51

Forum Member
    I think I have a Prius stuck in my intake.

Just set the other wireless router up as an access point only. Problem solved.

Why do you not want the other router to have access to any of your computers? I can see it if you're running an open access point, but generally one would run a captive portal or an isolated access point for such purposes.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Last night Stock Notch walked me through setting it up as an access point. I think it's doing what I expected it to now. At least my phone is connected to it and has Internet access.

Matt

2005 Corvette Z51

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    Why do you not want the other router to have access to any of your computers?
    Maybe because he has kids. :-p
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by mdhmi View Post
    Maybe because he has kids. :-p
    Yes. And kids' friends who bring ipods over and want to connect.

Matt

2005 Corvette Z51

Thread Information