Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quick rust repair technique

Default quick rust repair technique

well, I bought this 03 silverado a couple months ago and Im just now getting to the point of actually touching it. I bought it in the winter and gave it the quick once over but never really poked around and whatnot. its fairly clean, paint shines and all, but ive found a few early problem spots, mainly the bottom inside of the gas door, and both lower door lips on the inside right above the pinch seal.

its almost like they didnt seal the edges up well enough and water/rust started to eat up a little bit under the paint. what is the best way to keep this from spreading. I scraped off the paint and got to the effected metal area, cleaned it up a bit and left it for today.

I was planning on painting on that "rust converter" stuff, letting it do its magic, then going over top of that with some por15 then hitting it with some matching spray paint from murrays. will this be enough to stave it off for a few years if I keep it clean. anything else I can do to keep it at bay? oil or something?
    Matt -
    2010 Boost Logic GT-R
    1983 Ford Fairmont

Once it's painted, get some Krown or similar oil spray, or you can just mix some engine oil and ATF 50/50 and that'll do.

pics? spray can stuff is junk
    www.Addictsracing.com 248-852-9710
    ASE certified Master Technician
    '88 Lancer Shelby 2.5T2 under the knife '79 Trans Am T-tops 455 rocket

there is no "quick " way to get rid of rust replace the gas door it and the doors are the first places to go, as far as the doors if they are just starting you might be able to peal the pinch back and clean them real real good to hold it off for a few years
    To me, it's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, "Hey, can you give me a hand?" You can say, "Sorry, got these sacks."

Quote Originally Posted by moneypit View Post
    there is no "quick " way to get rid of rust replace the gas door it and the doors are the first places to go, as far as the doors if they are just starting you might be able to peal the pinch back and clean them real real good to hold it off for a few years
    unfortunately, its not the gas door, its the inside of the gas door, the part of the bed underneath the gas cap. when the gas door is closed, it hides it, but i dont want it to spread. i also dont think its made its way into the pinch seam, it all seems to be on top of it. this things got some shitty flaky paint on the insides of the door, like it wasnt primed well enough. i think it seperated and water just hung out in it
    Matt -
    2010 Boost Logic GT-R
    1983 Ford Fairmont

Club Sponsor

Use a small handheld sandblaster and blow off the crap then primer and paint.

Sand blasting is the most effective way to clean all the rust off, You wont get it all tho. The rust comes from inbetween the flad of the door skin and the door shell where it is folded over. Clean it best you can (sandblaster, clean and strip disc ect) replace the factory seam sealer and paint (not with spray cans) Get a good parifin based rust prohibitor (3m rust fighter 2 I believe) and hose down the inside of the door untill it starts dripping out of the drain holes. Really your best bet, Should hold it off for awhile.
    '00 Stage 2 Roush Mustang 2v Swap...
    '04 YFZ450- Turbo Stock Bore
    '04 Sierra 2500- CCSB LB7
    '01 Blazer- 5.3 Project/Garage decor

Twister Racing 2k13

Quote Originally Posted by slideways View Post
    Sand blasting is the most effective way to clean all the rust off, You wont get it all tho. The rust comes from inbetween the flad of the door skin and the door shell where it is folded over. Clean it best you can (sandblaster, clean and strip disc ect) replace the factory seam sealer and paint (not with spray cans) Get a good parifin based rust prohibitor (3m rust fighter 2 I believe) and hose down the inside of the door untill it starts dripping out of the drain holes. Really your best bet, Should hold it off for awhile.
    the actual seam itself looks ok, this is above the seam. its almost as if it just got shitty primer that lifted the paint and water hung out inside. it is below the drain holes, which actually look OK
    Matt -
    2010 Boost Logic GT-R
    1983 Ford Fairmont

Maybe some pics would help, But in this case, by the sound of it I would say clean the metal as best you can, Epoxy prime and paint.
    '00 Stage 2 Roush Mustang 2v Swap...
    '04 YFZ450- Turbo Stock Bore
    '04 Sierra 2500- CCSB LB7
    '01 Blazer- 5.3 Project/Garage decor

Twister Racing 2k13

Quote Originally Posted by slideways View Post
    Maybe some pics would help, But in this case, by the sound of it I would say clean the metal as best you can, Epoxy prime and paint.
    i think thats all im gonna do, with a liberal swabbing of used motor oil when im done
    Matt -
    2010 Boost Logic GT-R
    1983 Ford Fairmont

Thread Information