Thread: Battery Relocation

Default Battery Relocation

I am looking to put my battery in the trunk. Where should it be placed in the trunk? I have seen them placed on the left side, center, and right side. Is one spot better than another? Also are there any kits you would recommend or tips?

Quote Originally Posted by KENNEBELL2.6 View Post
    I am looking to put my battery in the trunk. Where should it be placed in the trunk? I have seen them placed on the left side, center, and right side. Is one spot better than another? Also are there any kits you would recommend or tips?
    right rear is the best spot...

Forum Member

Most folks tend to put them on the passenger side to offset the driver weight. Whether that is the right thing to do or not is going to depend on the particular car, and can only really be confirmed with a set of scales.

Summit sells kits, as do a few othe rplaces, but I'm not a fan of the plastic battery boxes in most kits, and even the metal boxes have thier downsides as well. Most of the kits I've seen tend to use smaller cable than I like too.

My personal preference is to piece together my own bits, an Odyssey battery (PC680MJ or PC925MJ) and one of thier aluminum holddowns, a 0 guage cable for power, and another piece of 0 guage for the ground to the body, a fuse or breaker on the power line, mounted near the battery, that is large enough to handle your starter current, and a good power distribution block up front to tie all the power wires together.

Aside from driver offset, another reason is to transfer the weight over the right rear tire for better traction due to the rotational load. Your right rear tire sees the most pressure during launch.

Here i am, what are your other 2 wishes?

Right rear with mounting bolts going through frame rail, you will need to drop your tank
    I have a bad case of Automotive A.D.D.

WWW.DETROITRACING.COM

Quote Originally Posted by 91trunk View Post
    Now this is an acceptable use of photos and video's in the Pub.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth View Post
    Right rear with mounting bolts going through frame rail, you will need to drop your tank
    X2 That's what I did.

X2 on what Rara said. Scale the car and put in where ever is needed.

--Joe

I actually put my Moroso box in the spare tire well of my car.

Location depends mostly on you intend on doing with the car and safety.

Seeing as how you have a Mustang I don't think you'll ever get enough rearward weight% to have a performance decrease, the back of the car makes sense. If you are drag racing you'll want the weight on the right to counteract driveshaft torque that lifts the RR, assuming you have a beam axle. If you are a road racer you'll also want the weight on the right side since road courses almost always run clockwise.

One problem with the very RR is that it could easily get smashed. I'm in process of moving mine from the RR corner to just inside the frame rails on my 3rd gen Camaro.

I agree with RARA, get the dry cell / sealed Odyssey battery. With the Odyssey a box isn't required (at least for NASA rules).

Thread Information