Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mrs. Fstr-Thanu is now Cleanr-Thanu!

Default $$$$$$

PM me on a price on something like that. Havea 2002 Explorer and a 2003 Focus that could use a good cleaning.

How do you clean the engine bay? I'd be worried I'd screw up some electrical stuff or something. Looks amazing!
    Tyler
    2003 WW Evolution 8

Quote Originally Posted by AutoEuphoria View Post
    How do you clean the engine bay? I'd be worried I'd screw up some electrical stuff or something. Looks amazing!
    in all my years of detailing, ive never screwed up anything electrical cleaning engine bays. there are a few cars youd keep the water away from, lt1 optisparks, cadillac 4.9 distributors, etc. but generally youd blow all the water out afterward and let it all dry before trying to start it up anyway
    Matt -
    2010 Boost Logic GT-R
    1983 Ford Fairmont

I read that it's good to warm the engine up a bit as well, too, to evaporate the water...then spray simple green and close the hood until the safety latch engages and let it sit for 15 minutes...letting the steam and cleaner work to loosen up the grime. Then rinse off with light water.

I think a lot of people run into issues when they use really high pressure water, blowing lines off or damaging wires.
    Tyler
    2003 WW Evolution 8

^ Simple green isn't recommended due to how it can damage metals. The US Military even put out a letter stating it should be used on anything for that exact reason. If you use it... be careful.

Pressure washers can be used on engine bays - especially on newer cars. Only use low pressure and insure to say a decent distance away. Older cars surely need more care as their components and designs aren't made to easily clean or mess with.

Overall, that's one CLEAN looking engine bay to go along with a clean ass Caddy. Its always refreshing to have a truly clean ride: it reflects well off the owner, gains more favorable attention, and of course: clean cars run better
    Great job Matt and I look forward to my appointment to have my windows properly tinted
    AutoLavish Fine Automobile Care
    www.autolavish.com

Read our Professional Detailing Articles Here

Like / Follow us on Facebook!

Got a Detailing or car care question? Ask us here!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc@AutoLavish View Post
    ^ Simple green isn't recommended due to how it can damage metals. The US Military even put out a letter stating it should be used on anything for that exact reason. If you use it... be careful.

Pressure washers can be used on engine bays - especially on newer cars. Only use low pressure and insure to say a decent distance away. Older cars surely need more care as their components and designs aren't made to easily clean or mess with.

Overall, that's one CLEAN looking engine bay to go along with a clean ass Caddy. Its always refreshing to have a truly clean ride: it reflects well off the owner, gains more favorable attention, and of course: clean cars run better
    Great job Matt and I look forward to my appointment to have my windows properly tinted
    correct, simple green eats aluminum

Matt, I need to get both my trucks to you soon
    ASE Master Certified Technician

Wow, thanks for the info! I was just going by what I found online, but thank you very much for correcting it! What cleaner would be recommended, then? Any ideas? Is "Super Clean" ok to use?
    Last edited by AutoEuphoria; 04-25-2010 at 01:14 PM.
    Tyler
    2003 WW Evolution 8

Looks awesome! I too stripe carpet and mats whenever I detail somebody else's vehicle. Something so simple, yet people LOVE it. I really appreciate a clean interior, and that one looks spotless.

One thing I was looking for in your write-up was products that you used. I always enjoy finding out what other people like to use.
    1999 Z28. A4. Magnaflow catback and a lid. 60k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by COOKIE MONSTER View Post
    The strokes in the carpet remind me on cutting grass, all nice and neat like that. Very nice.
    thanks, it's just a little something extra that really helps with the whole presentation I think. funny thing about the Grass though, you should see my yard in the summer. My lines are just the same! My buddy Ricky who works here at the shop with me is just the same, we're always trying to out do eachother on our details everyday and we do the same with our lawns!

Quote Originally Posted by mdhmi View Post
    My daily driver is looking almost as bad as those pics. A muddy dog is to blame. How much does detailing cost? Are there levels? I don't care if it's waxed and all that jazz .. I just don't want the inside to be full of dog hair & mud..
    Mark, There are many different packages and levels to suit anyones needs or requests. We do offer just an Interior detail that still comes with a hand wash but the attention to detail is focused primarily on the interior!

Quote Originally Posted by AutoEuphoria View Post
    In all the years doing this I've only had 2 problems that I can think of off the top of my head. I use a very diluted degreaser mixture, spray it down, use a fine brush with warm soap and water to aggitate everything and rinse it down with the power washer. Then using compressed air to dry it all and a towel, followed by dressing and wipe the dressing down to a nice even clean look.

Quote Originally Posted by cjmatt View Post
    in all my years of detailing, ive never screwed up anything electrical cleaning engine bays. there are a few cars youd keep the water away from, lt1 optisparks, cadillac 4.9 distributors, etc. but generally youd blow all the water out afterward and let it all dry before trying to start it up anyway
    add old POS VW's distributor to that list, and Range Rovers, I'll pick and choose what cars will get the engine done. we took it off of our details all together and only do them if requested now, just to avoid the potential headache that could arise.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc@AutoLavish View Post

Thanks Marc, see you tuesday!

Quote Originally Posted by dave89iroc View Post
    correct, simple green eats aluminum

Matt, I need to get both my trucks to you soon
    Let me know when you want to set it up dave!
    -Matt Zimmerman-

'98 Turbo Camaro '02 PowerStroke F-2Fiddy '06 YZF-R6

Thread Information