Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cop shoots biker in the back during a traffic stop

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrage View Post
    Should be attempted murder.
    It's shoot to incapacitate, not kill.

Quote Originally Posted by boosted gt View Post
    if the view was from the cops perspective it probably did look like he could have been reaching for a weapon.. i dont know if thats enough to shoot him though
    x2. What you see in the video is not the angle the cop sees. I don't think it's enough to shoot but he obviously wasn't doing as he's told. It's a split second decision I'm glad I don't have to make.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWheelinBubba View Post
    I agree.

The cop was quick to pull the trigger. A taser would have been the right tool to have used in that situation had it been needed, which in this case i don't even think tasing him would have been justified.
    What if they aren't issued tasers? Hell, when I was in the military, we only carried a rifle and pistol. We don't have spray, asps, or tasers. Well, we do in inventory, but are never issued out.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitStyle View Post
    If you guys think that is justified... I hope you don't ever reach for your seatbelt or wallet during a traffic stop.
    That's why you don't do anything until told to do so. That's just common sense to me. Even then, you say where you're wallet is and that you are reaching for it before doing it when asked to get it.
    Joe formerly easy2cy
    '06 Ford Focus ZX5 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by easy2cy View Post

That's why you don't do anything until told to do so. That's just common sense to me. Even then, you say where you're wallet is and that you are reaching for it before doing it when asked to get it.
    Unfortunately common sense isn't very common amongst most people.
    Mike

It's shoot to incapacitate, not kill.
    I have always been told that police are trained not to incapacitate. If they are shooting at someone they are trying to take them out.

. What you see in the video is not the angle the cop sees. I don't think it's enough to shoot but he obviously wasn't doing as he's told. It's a split second decision I'm glad I don't have to make.
    No matter what the angle, there was no weapon on the guy he shot. The guy simply moved to look at the cop.

if they aren't issued tasers? Hell, when I was in the military, we only carried a rifle and pistol. We don't have spray, asps, or tasers. Well, we do in inventory, but are never issued out.
    The police aren't the military, so comparing them is kind of pointless. He might not have had a less than lethal weapon, but he still doesn't get to shoot people because he was scared.

Cops arent allowed to just shoot people for moving. If cops shot every person that reached for the insurance or registration without being told to get it, there would be thousands of people shot every day. A cop is supposed to know better, they deal with it every day. The average person getting pulled over has almost zero experience with the police.

I have always been told that police are trained not to incapacitate. If they are shooting at someone they are trying to take them out.

No matter what the angle, there was no weapon on the guy he shot. The guy simply moved to look at the cop.

The police aren't the military, so comparing them is kind of pointless. He might not have had a less than lethal weapon, but he still doesn't get to shoot people because he was scared.

Cops arent allowed to just shoot people for moving. If cops shot every person that reached for the insurance or registration without being told to get it, there would be thousands of people shot every day. A cop is supposed to know better, they deal with it every day. The average person getting pulled over has almost zero experience with the police.
    Really? You were told wrong then. Incapacitate doesn't mean wing them in the leg or arm...it's center mass until the threat is gone. So, if I put one bullet in your chest and you drop to the ground and are no longer a threat but alive it's not to "take them out". Cops aren't licensed "shoot to kill". That's what I was taught at least.

How was the cop supposed to know? Apparently to you, cops should be psychic and know who's got weapons and who doesn't. That angle he was at would seem like he's reaching back towards his hip and also looking to see where the cop is. To me, the cop reacted too early and didn't wait an extra second to see if he was actually grabbing something or not but I'm not here to say whether he was right or wrong. That's the jury's decision now. You go ahead and keep judging when you have no clue.

Comparing them isn't pointless because I was military POLICE. Just because I had a different jurisdiction and a couple different laws to enforce I still dealt with the same shit.

Where did I say it WAS okay for the police to shoot just because someone moved? What are you basing this on? I'm just stating a person shouldn't be doing anything that they weren't told to do on a traffic stop anyways and that it would make things a hell of a lot easier for everyone involved.

I am not in law enforcement anymore and I don't want to be. Hell, I'm not even that big of a fan of police. I understand they got a job to do because people can't follow laws so they need to enforce them. So even though I don't like them much I still have respect for what they do and don't have the blind hatred you apparently do for them.
    Joe formerly easy2cy
    '06 Ford Focus ZX5 5spd

In the back of a jacked up tailgate. Sittin' 'round watchin' all these pretty things.

what a bunch a bull shit !!!!!
    "BUILT not BOUGHT"

95 F250 4x4 12"s of lift on 38s
    Cummins swap someday

To attempt the destruction of our passions is the height of folly. What a noble aim is that of the zealot who tortures himself like a madman in order to desire nothing, love nothing, feel nothing, and who, if he succeeded, would end up a complete monster!

Denis Diderot

How was the cop supposed to know? Apparently to you, cops should be psychic and know who's got weapons and who doesn't. That angle he was at would seem like he's reaching back towards his hip and also looking to see where the cop is. To me, the cop reacted too early and didn't wait an extra second to see if he was actually grabbing something or not but I'm not here to say whether he was right or wrong. That's the jury's decision now. You go ahead and keep judging when you have no clue.
    i didn't say he was supposed to know, but he sure as hell shouldn't be shooting someone if he doesn't know for sure.
    I feel that anyone given the kind of power a cop has should be held to a higher standard.
    I expect doctors to know what they are doing, and if they don't they should be treated much more severely than someone off the street that tries to help an accident victim and screws it up.
    If a cop gets scared and shoots someone for swiveling to look at them, they should be treated more severely than a ccw holder that gets scared and shoots an innocent person.

Thats my opinion.

I dont think they ran at all..they got stupid by acclerating hard..but they coulda kept going. The guy stopped...he knew he was caught. The cop had no reason to fire..he shot within like 3 seconds of his cruiser stopped. That to me is not enough time to "think" the guy had a gun. Ive seen video of the perp sitting SHOWING a gun..and the cop yelled for a good minute without shooting. I say the cop is NOT justified. He should be found guilty
    -Cory
    *MPH Whats Your Limit?*
    1999 Turbo Trans Am WS6
    Rear mount retired

2015 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Z71 6.6 Diesel
    2010 Corvette Z06

Racing to some people equals 10% racing....90% trash talking.

seems he was behind the bike for 7-8 sec before gettin out and destroying that dudes life .

a nice jail sentenced for running would have sufficed.

If a cop gets scared and shoots someone for swiveling to look at them, they should be treated more severely than a ccw holder that gets scared and shoots an innocent person.

Thats my opinion.
    Here's the thing, you are sitting down watching this on a computer probably over and over. In hindsight, sure it doesn't look good that the guy didn't have a gun but who are you to judge when you aren't the cop. You ever been in a split second decision, adrenaline pumping, life on the line scenario? Let alone job?

I know I wouldn't shoot until I thought I seen something in his hand but I'm not gonna say this guy should be charged with attempted murder...

Cops are already held to a higher standard (sure not everyone is compliant, but I'm not getting into all that BS). But don't forget they are still just human. Everyone is capable of experiencing fear.
    Joe formerly easy2cy
    '06 Ford Focus ZX5 5spd

Posting WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT in the Pub

Quote Originally Posted by 99TransAmWs6 View Post
    I dont think they ran at all..they got stupid by acclerating hard..but they coulda kept going. The guy stopped...he knew he was caught. The cop had no reason to fire..he shot within like 3 seconds of his cruiser stopped. That to me is not enough time to "think" the guy had a gun. Ive seen video of the perp sitting SHOWING a gun..and the cop yelled for a good minute without shooting. I say the cop is NOT justified. He should be found guilty
    Absolutely. It's tough for me to comprehend that some people can't see this.

These guys were horsing around on Harleys. They nailed it from a stop and put some distance on the cop whom they clearly didn't know was there. People who think they were running clearly don't understand the situation, motorcycles and Harleys. That kind of situation means the bikes are LOUD. The wind is LOUD. The mirrors (if they had any) are useless with that speed and vibration.

Once the realized that the cop was behind them (and I believe that was only because the other biker got squirrelly and they both slowed down)... the guy clearly was stopped. He shrugs, puts his hands on his hips like ALL bikers do when they stop and turns around to see the cop.... and gets shot in the back for it.

IMHO, there is no doubt that this is a cop who got all fired up because he maybe thought they were running for a second and just went crazy. No other way to put it. He was pissed, riled up, jumped out of the car screaming and shot the guy within a second or two.

I'm betting that physically he couldn't even have gotten his arm around to shoot at this cop based on how the bike was parked and how he was sitting. He's on a bike that's angled to the left. He has his left leg down for balance. He turns to his right... to look at a cop approaching from the driver's side of the car. That's like facing 12 o'clock and turning to the right... to shoot somebody at your 9 o'clock.... not gonna happen.
    1994 Yamaha YZF-750R / 1993 Honda CBR900RR / 1991 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1992 Kawasaki ZX-7R / 1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1989 Suzuki GSXR-750

Thread Information