Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask AutoLavish! Answers to your car care questions...

Club Sponsor VarsityCustomWerkz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 65rambler View Post
    Do youhave a list of supplies and where to find them? I would like to get the grit guards and mits.
    http://www.detailedimage.com/ is who Mark uses... they have it all

Club Sponsor VarsityCustomWerkz's Avatar

Mark, what do you think about dodo juice supernatural? what wax would you reccomend for pearl whites? thanks

Picked it up off another. Let me know if I made out well.
    3m Perfect-It 2 Rubbing compound (fine cut 90%)
    Poorboy's Polish with carnuba (75% full)
    Poorboy's SSR1 (85% full)
    Poorboy's SSR2.5 (75% full)
    Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax (80% full)
    Poorboy's EX-P (75% full)
    Invisible Glass (new)
    2 microfibers
    1 handpad
    Brand New Random Orbital with 3 pads
    Will I be able to use these products with the orbital? What kind of pads should I be looking to get to complimetn these products? Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by 65rambler View Post
    Do youhave a list of supplies and where to find them? I would like to get the grit guards and mits.
    I have no lists... but I can help to point you in the right direction depending on what you're looking for!
    First check out Detailedimage.com as they have the majority of things I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
    I took your suggestion and picked up some 1Z Cockpit Premium yesterday at a shop I found in PA. I almost pulled the trigger on some ONR and some Collonite 845, but figured I'd wait for a bit.
    1Z Cockpit Premium is AMAZING. You're going to love it. ONR is a love it or like it product. I like it, some others love it and swear by it. I'm not that much in love with it compared to some guys I know.
    845 is good stuff... but unless you don't have a decent wax or sealant already, I'd say you won't need it. Much harder to use than stuff like Blackfire, and the results aren't as impressive as you might think IME compared to how some people describe it. From other people, you'd think it lasts for years or decades, but I don't see much of a difference compared to stuff like Blackfire or Powerlock, and would much rather use something easy to use twice than something fussy once.

Quote Originally Posted by joestang View Post
    1.) I have a 2100psi 2.0 gpm gas powered pressure washer.
    I would like to use a foam cannon to throw down the soap, but is this washer too strong? It doesnt have any adjustment for psi/flow that I know of.
    Also, how is something like this ? Does it foam enough to make it worthwhile? I'd prefer a non-powered foam gun because the pressure washer is pretty damn loud and would be annoying to listen to every time I wash the car.

2.) When using the foam cannon do you just use a water bucket for rinsing the wash mitt since the soap is on the car?
    Holy cow! Autogeek is selling the Gilmore Gun for $70 bucks!!
    Let me give you my advice... if you really want it - check out amazon.com for the Gilmore Foam Gun.

2100PSI is likely too strong... but maybe not. It depends on how close you are to your paint. PWers use such low volumes of water that it's all in distance. Use it correctly and it might be fine. Keep in mind that while foam guns / cannons can be fun... they're often times not 100% needed. I almost never wash my own car with either. If you want you car to look good, make sure you invest in two dedicated 5 gallon buckets for washing along with Grit Guards for each.
    The hose attached foam guns do create some foam... but not the super thick stuff you see in most of our pics. They also use a lot of product very quickly, so I would recommend using a cheaper shampoo in them while saving your good stuff for your two bucket washing solution.

Foam gun:

Foam Cannon:

Lastly, when using foam, you can either have one rinse bucket with a Grit Guard, or have two buckets (rinse / wash like normal) with Grit Guards. The choice is yours.

Hope this helps!
    AutoLavish Fine Automobile Care
    www.autolavish.com

Read our Professional Detailing Articles Here

Like / Follow us on Facebook!

Got a Detailing or car care question? Ask us here!

Well, I guess I'll just save my money on 845, pick up the Leather Master stuff I was looking at, as well as some new clay, clay lube, and ONR and call it a day. I finally picked up some 4" pads and backing plate for my PC as well.

Quote Originally Posted by got_h8rs? View Post
    http://www.detailedimage.com/ is who Mark uses... they have it all
    ONE of the places we use. You can also check out places like detailersdomain.com, dodojuiceusa.com, www.carnaubawaxshop.co.uk, and some others if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by got_h8rs? View Post
    Mark, what do you think about dodo juice supernatural? what wax would you reccomend for pearl whites? thanks
    I love it - I recently did a full review of it in an article you should read if you're considering it: http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...-carnauba-wax/

Product recommendations go off a lot of thing and for obvious reasons I don't normally go around recommending $200 wax
    How often do you want to have to use the product, how durable does the product need to be, how hard is your water, is the car garage kept, do you like the pearlescent brightness or a liquidy look better, and what's your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by Det_Riot View Post
    Picked it up off another. Let me know if I made out well.
    3m Perfect-It 2 Rubbing compound (fine cut 90%)
    Poorboy's Polish with carnuba (75% full)
    Poorboy's SSR1 (85% full)
    Poorboy's SSR2.5 (75% full)
    Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax (80% full)
    Poorboy's EX-P (75% full)
    Invisible Glass (new)
    2 microfibers
    1 handpad
    Brand New Random Orbital with 3 pads
    Will I be able to use these products with the orbital? What kind of pads should I be looking to get to complimetn these products? Thanks guys!
    You might have - it just depends on how much you spent!
    First off the things I know:
    The NXT is the first generation bottle: it's an over-the-counter sealant with slight abrasives in it, has a great look, is easy to use, but the durable isn't outstanding. Make sure to reapply every month or every other month just to make sure. I'm personally a fan of it - especially for being an over the counter product.
    Invisi Glass is awesome stuff. Maybe prefer the one you have in the aerosol can as it foams slightly.

Stuff I can shed a little light on:
    Poorboy's products as (or at least were) based of Chemical Guy's / Warner Chemical compositions. Made to be great products at a good price. The "polish" isn't an actual polish but rather it seems to be a liquid wax or a liquid wax/sealant hybrid. Might be better than the NXT, so make sure you give them both a shot.
    The actual polishes: Poorboy's SSR's and the 3M: PB polishes have had some nice things said about them, but most people go with the most popular products instead. The 3M Rubbing Compound is likely VERY aggressive, so be careful with it depending on how your vehicle's finish is.

Orbital buffers aren't very popular as they're not designed for heavy use and doesn't have a lot of paint correction ability due to their mechanical movement. They're basically a cheap step-up from doings things by hand. Polishing pads aren't made for them, and instead they take bonnets. The condition of the bonnet will depend on how smoothly / well the machine operates and the results you can achieve. Personally, I'd say it's not worth using to wax/seal your car, and if you are interested in polishing your paint, your best bet is to invest in the proper tools like a decent Dual Action polisher (PC7424 XP / Griot's Professional DA / Meguiar's G110v2).

Overall you have some nice new things to try out and you should surely document your experience and thoughts to post back on Motown. A lot of member's will benefit from what you have to say without a doubt.
    www.autolavish.com

Well, I guess I'll just save my money on 845, pick up the Leather Master stuff I was looking at, as well as some new clay, clay lube, and ONR and call it a day. I finally picked up some 4" pads and backing plate for my PC as well.
    I think I told you before, but you'll want Soft Cleaner and Protection Cream from Leather Master. Because 845 is so popular, you can likely find some used or get a sample off of someone.

Clay is alway important, and it seems we can't get any of the good stuff here in the US due to patent laws from Clay Magic. If you want to kill some time, you can look into both of these more:
    http://www.carnaubawaxshop.co.uk/sho...?product_id=96
    http://www.eshine.ca/riccardo_clay_o...001.php?cat=10

As for lube, I do think it's nice to have a dedicated product (Chemical Guys Luber is nice as is Dodo Juice's Born Slippy), but ONR can be made into clay lube...
    www.autolavish.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marc@AutoLavish View Post
    I think I told you before, but you'll want Soft Cleaner and Protection Cream from Leather Master. Because 845 is so popular, you can likely find some used or get a sample off of someone.

Clay is alway important, and it seems we can't get any of the good stuff here in the US due to patent laws from Clay Magic. If you want to kill some time, you can look into both of these more:
    http://www.carnaubawaxshop.co.uk/sho...?product_id=96
    http://www.eshine.ca/riccardo_clay_o...001.php?cat=10

As for lube, I do think it's nice to have a dedicated product (Chemical Guys Luber is nice as is Dodo Juice's Born Slippy), but ONR can be made into clay lube...
    I'll have to read the clay info a bit more. I was going to do the Clay Magic fine clay and DJ Born Slippy, since I don't really have a dedicated clay lube. I think those two you mentioned, along with a bottle of Leatherique Rejuvinator oil is going to cover the leather, and I really just want to try ONR. All this cold weather is giving me a huge itch to start detailing the Mustang, and I can't wait to see what a good weekend's worth of work is going to do to it.

I'll have to read the clay info a bit more. I was going to do the Clay Magic fine clay and DJ Born Slippy, since I don't really have a dedicated clay lube. I think those two you mentioned, along with a bottle of Leatherique Rejuvinator oil is going to cover the leather, and I really just want to try ONR. All this cold weather is giving me a huge itch to start detailing the Mustang, and I can't wait to see what a good weekend's worth of work is going to do to it.
    Sounds like you're all set!
    You'll enjoy the ONR just for the sake of being able to work on the car a little. I know we all have "the itch" right now.
    www.autolavish.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marc@AutoLavish View Post
    Sounds like you're all set!
    You'll enjoy the ONR just for the sake of being able to work on the car a little. I know we all have "the itch" right now.
    Thanks again Marc for all of your help!

Thread Information