Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask AutoLavish! Answers to your car care questions...

Quote Originally Posted by got_h8rs? View Post
    Mark what is the best way to clean your foam polish and wax pads? i can never seem to get all the old product off after i wash them.. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by webleedorange619 View Post
    Get foam pad cleaner spray, let sit for 10 min... then wash em out in a sink. I keep "folding" them under the sink untill all the compound is out. Works good.
    Quote Originally Posted by got_h8rs? View Post
    oh hey Mark didnt realize you changed your name
    LOL. Actually I'm glad he chimed in, because that's a very good response. Compound will usually be released much easier through soaking. There are pad specific cleaners, but a normal dish soap should work ok too. Wax on the other hand isn't exactly water soluble which makes it a pain to clean. This isn't usually too much of a problem as wax applicators are often small and cheap so can be easily be replaced if they looked especially caked up.
    In any case, always wash your pads, applicators, and towels in the warmest water possible to aid in the breakdown of the polishes and such. Some people have heard rumors that this is bad for microfiber, but with a melting point of around 400 degrees, you won't have to worry about water ruining your towels
    AutoLavish Fine Automobile Care
    www.autolavish.com

Read our Professional Detailing Articles Here

Like / Follow us on Facebook!

Got a Detailing or car care question? Ask us here!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc@AutoLavish View Post
    LOL. Actually I'm glad he chimed in, because that's a very good response. Compound will usually be released much easier through soaking. There are pad specific cleaners, but a normal dish soap should work ok too. Wax on the other hand isn't exactly water soluble which makes it a pain to clean. This isn't usually too much of a problem as wax applicators are often small and cheap so can be easily be replaced if they looked especially caked up.
    In any case, always wash your pads, applicators, and towels in the warmest water possible to aid in the breakdown of the polishes and such. Some people have heard rumors that this is bad for microfiber, but with a melting point of around 400 degrees, you won't have to worry about water ruining your towels
    Funny you mention the hot water burning the microfiber, I started using cold water but didnt see a difference. I always air dry them too, I did notice a difference there. When i dried a few in a drier they felt rough and not as soft.

Quote Originally Posted by webleedorange619 View Post
    Funny you mention the hot water burning the microfiber, I started using cold water but didnt see a difference. I always air dry them too, I did notice a difference there. When i dried a few in a drier they felt rough and not as soft.
    Use hot water, and dry them on low. When they're just slightly damp remove them and let them air dry the rest of the way or let them tumble on no heat in the dryer. Of course, make sure to never use dryer sheets.
    www.autolavish.com

Club Sponsor VarsityCustomWerkz's Avatar

Cool thanks Mark! and Ross..

Not a problem and thanks for more great questions that'll no doubt help everyone.
    www.autolavish.com

Have you tried the new Meguiar's Ultimate Wax? I'll be giving it a go in a few months as my LSP of choice on an 03 Vette, 10 Camaro SS, and my DD.
    1999 Z28. A4. Magnaflow catback and a lid. 60k miles.

Nope... I haven't. Of course I love their Ultimate Quick Wax (basically an over the counter spray sealant). Please let me know what you think of it.

On a similar Meguiar's note... I have a tub of Meguiar's #16 wax I'm excited to receive from my buddy Chad (Rasky's Detailing) in MN. I look forward to using this illusive product on my own car once it's a little warmer.
    www.autolavish.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marc@AutoLavish View Post
    Nope... I haven't. Of course I love their Ultimate Quick Wax (basically an over the counter spray sealant). Please let me know what you think of it.

On a similar Meguiar's note... I have a tub of Meguiar's #16 wax I'm excited to receive from my buddy Chad (Rasky's Detailing) in MN. I look forward to using this illusive product on my own car once it's a little warmer.
    Chad is a GREAT detailer! I really enjoy his write-ups.
    I have 2 tins of Meg's #16, both unused. I found them on ebay for $7/tin. I may also use that on my own DD just for the durability. Then again, Mike Pennington of Meg's said that the new Ultimate Wax is supposed to last even longer than M16. If that's true, then it will be a real winner.
    Last edited by Golden; 03-01-2011 at 09:57 PM.
    1999 Z28. A4. Magnaflow catback and a lid. 60k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    Chad is a GREAT detailer! I really enjoy his write-ups.
    I have 2 tins of Meg's #16, both unused. I found them on ebay for $7/tin. I may also use that on my own DD just for the durability. Then again, Mike Pennington of Meg's said that the new Ultimate Wax is supposed to last even longer than M16. If that's true, then it will be a real winner.
    Yea he is and he's also really funny.
    Shame on you! You know that using a wax and caring about durability don't go hand-in-hand. There's a reason that I normally use Souveran on my S2000 and normally apply it AT LEAST once every months and a half. Most often once a month. Sure maybe it can go further, but I'd give it 2.5 months tops. I look at wax as a luxury item that I want to enjoy the "experience of." If you care about durability, better switch to the synthetics!
    www.autolavish.com

Club Sponsor VarsityCustomWerkz's Avatar

Mark heres another question for you. How do you clean really dirty light colored seat belts that have alot of dye transfer as well as dirt embedded in them? Thanks!

Thread Information