Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask AutoLavish! Answers to your car care questions...

Oh another quick ? Blue Dawn? I remember back in the day that was like first step of stripping all the old wax off a car? is it to harsh?

Quote Originally Posted by Trousersnake View Post
    This may have been asked 100x before.. I just bought a torch red 03 cobra and im a paint guy.. it has light swirl's under the right sun light.. would you recomend a trying cutting agent? or just wax. ive got a low speed orbital but im afraid to use it.. if you give me the go ahead ill give it a try, now my best friend swear's buy his adjustable highspeed buffer but i just dont want to screw this up if its a only a few steps to bring it back to 100% i can post a pic with a flash in the paint if you will give me some advise..
    Also I want to clay bar the car.. is this fool proof or is there something I should watch out for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trousersnake View Post
    Oh another quick ? Blue Dawn? I remember back in the day that was like first step of stripping all the old wax off a car? is it to harsh?

Dawn can be used and will work well. It is a little more harsh than anything I'd want to use, but you'll only be using it once, so it shouldn't make that big of a difference.
    Congrat's again on the Cobra! After a thorough washing with Dawn, take your time claying her. Any over the counter kit should work fine for this use, and keep in mind to use plenty of lube and light pressure, and do things a panel at a time.

A wax alone won't rid your finish of swirls - it's a protective agent. To truly remove swirls, you'll need to relevel your clear-coat using some type of polish. The polish needed depends on the machine you'll use and the clear-coat hardness of the vehicle. Some glazes can help to minimize the appearance of swirls temporarily, but the only solution is properly polishing. Keep in mind that swirls will quickly come back without using a good washing technique (two bucket method with Grit Guards and clean carefully cared for microfiber).
    AutoLavish Fine Automobile Care
    www.autolavish.com

Read our Professional Detailing Articles Here

Like / Follow us on Facebook!

Got a Detailing or car care question? Ask us here!

Marc, can you recommend some good sponges and/or wash mitts? I'm having trouble finding some to replace mine. Also, how do you normally care for them after washing? Anything special?

Quote Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
    Marc, can you recommend some good sponges and/or wash mitts? I'm having trouble finding some to replace mine. Also, how do you normally care for them after washing? Anything special?
    This all comes down to personal preference. While I will NEVER use a sponge, there are plenty of great guys that do use them. To me you either go with lamb's wool or microfiber, and you surely want something with a long pile to help capture dirt and pull it away from the vehicle's surface. The other step is having a good shampoo that allows that dirt to be released easily.

For microfiber mitts, you've probably seen in our write-ups we use something along these lines: http://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-...1073734&sr=1-4

Nearly all the mitts like that are just about the same. There's A LOT of re-branding when it comes to that design. While they can work well, I honestly prefer a sheepskin mitt. Very thick and soft. The problem of course, is they break down and don't last nearly as long. Keep this in mind though: some see that as a good thing.
    If you're using an old microfiber mitt, it's likely not nearly as soft anymore (you know how old microfiber towels can get, and even good ones need to not be used on paint after a certain amount of use) and can potentially cause damage to your finish. The real problem is knowing at what point your mitt is no good. If you have a wool mitt, the inside leather will break down and the mitt will basically fall apart - you'll have no choice but to replace the mitt.

As washing is the time you're most likely to cause swirls, this isn't the point where saving a few pennies is worth it. This is the time where you want to make sure everything is in order to be done correctly.

Lots of options: but I'll only list a couple:
    http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Acce...ash-Mitt-P120/
    Or save a buck for the one without the thumb: http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Acce...no-thumb-P209/

Ultra-baller status would be Dodo Juice's "Wookie's fist" which is just insane. Reviews overall are good, but some people say it's actually too big and thick. Word is this baby can hold like a quarter to a half gallon of water: http://www.autogeek.net/supernatural-wash-mitt.html

Order the one from Phil over at detailersdomain to save a few bucks: http://www.detailersdomain.com/uberg...lwashmitt.aspx

I have no doubt I'd love the Wookie's fist mitt, but I'm just not balling out of control enough to get it. I'd rather purchase three normal wool mitts. Of course you do have the new Mustang and mods, so you should probably consider it Daddy Warbucks

Hope this helps!
    www.autolavish.com

is there a leather cleaner and protectant available for purchase at an auto parts store you would recommend ?
    2016 Fusion Titanium with a few things done

I just picked up a 81 white fairmont. Paint in ok shape and i know it isnt going to be even close to perfect. What is the best way to get the dirt out of the paint. I washed a small section but it takes a lite compound to bring get the dirt and bring the white back. Any other solutions via internet!!

clay bar ?
    2016 Fusion Titanium with a few things done

I am going to try that also, just haven't had time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pure84GTT View Post
    is there a leather cleaner and protectant available for purchase at an auto parts store you would recommend ?
    Honestly, no. But with the cost of replacing a single panel of leather being around $200-300, I don't see a reason to not spend $20-40 on proper leather care products.

Quote Originally Posted by riche View Post
    I just picked up a 81 white fairmont. Paint in ok shape and i know it isnt going to be even close to perfect. What is the best way to get the dirt out of the paint. I washed a small section but it takes a lite compound to bring get the dirt and bring the white back. Any other solutions via internet!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pure84GTT View Post
    clay bar ?
    Exactly. Clay Clay Clay.
    www.autolavish.com

Oh and may I also add that it is likely single stage white paint I'm guessing, which means there's likely some oxidation built up on the exterior which would require polishing to remove.
    www.autolavish.com

Thread Information