Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask AutoLavish! Answers to your car care questions...

Hey guys, I bought a buncha detailing things over winter but i only have a random orbital 10" buffer. Would it even be worth it to try paint correction with a 10" buffer? What type of bonnets would I need to see any result? The products that I got are as follows:
    CG 721
    CG 778
    CG Nano Polish
    CG Pro Polish 3n
    Poorboys ssr1
    PB ssr2.5
    PB EX-P
    PB all in one polish and wax
    Meguirs NXT wax
    Thanks in advance guys!

Quote Originally Posted by moneypit View Post
    got any tricks for getting the gold hue out of a 304 stainless exhaust system?
    You'll want to use #0000 stainless steel and a good cleaner - All Purpose Cleaner or metal cleaner. Still might not come out 100%, but it should greatly improve!

Quote Originally Posted by Birdie2000 View Post
    So let's say I was getting a front bumper repainted, and naturally they'd want to blend into the surrounding panels. Should I have the bumper repainted before or after paint correction? Obviously the final buff/sealant would be after the bumper's been repainted.
    I think the biggest importance of having things done before would be to give the painter a better chance at getting the color better matched. Aside from that, the car will likely need a light claying and polishing after coming back from the painter depending on how they prep the vehicle.

Sorry for the delays guys!
    AutoLavish Fine Automobile Care
    www.autolavish.com

Read our Professional Detailing Articles Here

Like / Follow us on Facebook!

Got a Detailing or car care question? Ask us here!

"New Thread" & "Post Reply" button abuser Quick86's Avatar

Yup. We use #0000 steel wool on chrome all the time. GM chrome end caps that have surface rust from dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_Riot View Post
    Hey guys, I bought a buncha detailing things over winter but i only have a random orbital 10" buffer. Would it even be worth it to try paint correction with a 10" buffer? What type of bonnets would I need to see any result? The products that I got are as follows:
    CG 721
    CG 778
    CG Nano Polish
    CG Pro Polish 3n
    Poorboys ssr1
    PB ssr2.5
    PB EX-P
    PB all in one polish and wax
    Meguirs NXT wax
    Thanks in advance guys!
    Hey there- looks like you've collected quite a few items that you can put to use. A R.O. isn't going to give you the correction power of a Dual Action Polisher like the Porter Cable 7424XP, Griot's Pro DA, or Meguiar's G110v2. If you want to really try clearing up your paint, it's worth purchasing a DA for the $130-150 price tag that's asked for them. They're very effective but still pretty safe - especially compared to a rotary buffer.
    www.autolavish.com

Just won this: Spray-On Detailer/Wash from Griot's Garage in a contest.

Ever used it?

Quote Originally Posted by Quick86 View Post
    Just won this: Spray-On Detailer/Wash from Griot's Garage in a contest.

Ever used it?
    I haven't used it, and I don't trust "waterless wash" products. That being said... Griot's is a smart company; they take other popular products / ideas and re-brand them / create something similar. Your chances of getting something bad from them are slim, unless it's just something like my case; I don't like a whole category of products.
    Even if you don't end up liking it to wash wish, it'll likely make an awesome quick detailer for bird-bombs (keep it in the trunk with a good microfiber), for gently removing light dust (I'd still rather wash), etc. Getting something for free is always nice!
    www.autolavish.com

Yeah - I was going to keep her in the trunk with a nice microfiber for when I get to a car show or something along those lines for a "touch up" job.

Good idea for sure. Give it a nice and honest try - you never know what product might impress you.
    www.autolavish.com

Marc,

I need some suggestions on wheels. I've got 24's on my truck and with this SHITTY weather lately I can't seem to keep them clean. What can I use after cleaning them to help make clean up easier next time? I've heard wax, but is there something that combats brake dust better? Oh and where did you guy buy that wand foam adapter for your power sprayer?

Thanks!
    If I had money like Henry Ford, Lord I’d have me a woman on every road, But someday baby,You ain’t worry my life anymore

People say he's a nice, but they also said that about Ted Bundy

<----Jesus loves you, but I think you're a cunt

Quote Originally Posted by 91trunk View Post
    Marc,

I need some suggestions on wheels. I've got 24's on my truck and with this SHITTY weather lately I can't seem to keep them clean. What can I use after cleaning them to help make clean up easier next time? I've heard wax, but is there something that combats brake dust better? Oh and where did you guy buy that wand foam adapter for your power sprayer?

Thanks!
    Hey there Matt,
    The new truck looks crazy, but those big chrome wheels can surely be a handful to care for without the right tools and products. First and foremost I'd recommend investing in dedicated brushes to use on your wheels along with a good wheel cleaner. Brake dust is the enemy, and if allowed to build up or sit for too long the etching that it does is permanent. No wax or sealant alone can stand a chance: we're talking about metal shards that stick into the finish.

Luckily for you, detailedimage.com currently has a sale going on for all wheel care products: http://www.detailedimage.com/Sales/S...Products-SP36/

The things to purchase are:
    o P21S Wheel Cleaner Gel in the 500ml size along with the full refill jug of P21S Wheel Cleaner Gel (5L). This will be your go-to wheel cleaner that is very effective and very safe.
    o DI Accessories E-Z Detail Brush (full size)
    o Wheel Wax

Basically you'll be looking at $120 AKA less than 1/10th the value of your wheels to keep them "like-new." In addition, you'll want a soft feeling brush sourced from a local auto parts store to use for the faces / calipers. Total cost you'll spend might end up to $150, but once again, that's a small fraction of the money you'll save from having to have just one wheel re-finished because of damage / pitting / peeling. The thing I love about large wheels is how easy it is to clean the inside of them: the E-Z Detail brush means you can get behind the spokes, inside the barrels of the wheels, and between the spokes without a problem. In addition, it'll be easy to wax them ever time or every other time you give them a thorough cleaning. While this won't prevent all brake dust, you'll notice a big difference in how easily the dust comes off the finish. Wheel wax isn't a repellent; it's a sacrificial barrier.

Care for those bad-boys properly and they'll look outstanding for years.

Let me know how things turn out for your wheels!

The foam cannon was sourced from autogeek.net, but is just a relabeled one from an Italian manufacturer. You'll need to make sure to order the correct fitting for your brand of pressure washer and then you'll be all good to go!
    www.autolavish.com

Thread Information