Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask AutoLavish! Answers to your car care questions...

Is there a wheel well dressing that makes the plastic black but doesn't leave a slime that attracts dirt?

Subscribing to this thread... I am sure I will have some questions...

+1 rep

A mysterious figure named Darko DarkoStoj's Avatar

i drove about 500 miles yesterday, whats the best way to get rid of bugs/tar on the front bumper

Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post
    Is there a wheel well dressing that makes the plastic black but doesn't leave a slime that attracts dirt?
    Most dressings won't actually attract dust... if you allow them to fully dry. The problem is once our cars are clean... we want to go driving
    I'd recommend to stay away from some of the aerosol spray dressings - many can be a little tacky / sticky if not fully dried. In place, find a good water based dressing or oil based dressing that works for you.
    Our favorite is probably Meguiar's All Season Dressing: an oil based product. Because it's so light, it sprays very easily to coat wheel wells / under-carriages. Because it's oil based, it won't mix with water AKA water won't wash it away leaving a streaky mess. The down side is that it's oil based AKA takes FOREVER to fully dry (think days), so that is something to think about.
    Another popular product is Meguiar's Hyper Dressing. Its water based which is part of its genius: you dilute it to your liking which changes the look it gives. Natural (10:1), sheen (7:1), silky (5:1), wet (3:1) or straight up for high shine.

Whatever type of product you choose, try to give it adequate time to dry to avoid that nasty slimy look / feel and you should be good.
    AutoLavish Fine Automobile Care
    www.autolavish.com

Read our Professional Detailing Articles Here

Like / Follow us on Facebook!

Got a Detailing or car care question? Ask us here!

Quote Originally Posted by sidewayscoupe View Post
    Subscribing to this thread... I am sure I will have some questions...

+1 rep
    Thanks
    www.autolavish.com

Quote Originally Posted by DarkoStoj View Post
    i drove about 500 miles yesterday, whats the best way to get rid of bugs/tar on the front bumper
    We've all been there before either from long road trips, or driving in the boony's at night. The first step is to make sure you have an adequate layer of your favorite wax/sealant on your car as a sacrificial barrier.
    The real problem with bugs isn't so much their tough exoskeleton, but their acidic nature that can etch your paint. If you get to them soon enough, you should be able to wash them off. If they've really dried and gotten baked on (99% of the time is the case), lightly spray a bug & tar remover product (body solvent, goo-gone, gasoline, alcohol, etc can also work) either directly on to the guts, or onto a spare microfiber towel and gentle wipe away, or flush away with a stream of water from the hose or pressure washer. I'd always recommend using the lightest product first - so if you can wash them off without using chemicals: that's preferred. A bottle of bug and tar remover can easily be found at your local auto parts store and is worth the few dollar investment for something that works extremely quickly and efficiently.
    Make sure to re-wax the affected area as the acid nature of bugs will strip wax, as will any chemical strong enough to remove them.
    Hope this helps and happy driving
    www.autolavish.com

I'd just like to add that Marc has been nothing but professional and willing to help with all of my questions, from new car prep to preventative maint. for our cars that we all care about. I'm glad we've got a thread like this to get more feedback on.

On that note, Marc, regarding windshield care, what do you recommend? Anything specific for polishing the glass?

Do you sell products to the public? Just the basics, such as carwash, wheel cleaner, bug removal, products of that nature. I try to keep my DD as clean as possible, and it would be nice to have a professional let me know what works good.

Quote Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
    I'd just like to add that Marc has been nothing but professional and willing to help with all of my questions, from new car prep to preventative maint. for our cars that we all care about. I'm glad we've got a thread like this to get more feedback on.

On that note, Marc, regarding windshield care, what do you recommend? Anything specific for polishing the glass?
    Thanks a lot Steve. I'm always a car enthusiast first and foremost and it's just nice to be in a position in which I get paid to help fellow car enthusiasts meet their goals.
    As for the windshield question - are there any problems with it? Does it have scratches / lines from the wipers in the glass or does it just need a good cleaning?
    For clarity, I'd recommend the hardest compound and the hardest pad (105 on yellow if you have it, if not orange). Glass can only be polished out so much - its not soft like a clear-coat / single-stage is.
    I always have Aquapel on my windshield, and when a client brings a daily driver to us - we always put it on their windshield as well. The difference in driving in rain/snow is shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by 502SS View Post
    Do you sell products to the public? Just the basics, such as carwash, wheel cleaner, bug removal, products of that nature. I try to keep my DD as clean as possible, and it would be nice to have a professional let me know what works good.
    Sorry but I don't. You're free to ask questions here though!
    We have an affiliation with DetailedImage.com, and they carry a lot of top-notch products. There are some things they don't currently carry that are some of my favorites, but they're working on bringing more products on board all the time.
    The nice thing about ordering online is there are a lot of great great products that you can purchase that you'd normally never see in a store. The problem with ordering online is the selection is so huge and every product labels itself as "the best" that choosing something can be rather difficult.
    Product choice is the smallest issue - the biggest thing is the right technique and the right equipment. Products can make a difference in how quickly or easily something is done, but many top quality pros can get good results using nearly anything if they had to. Here's a quick list of things I'd HIGHLY recommend you to have, or to get ASAP:
    1. Two 5 gallon buckets strictly used for car washing.
    2. Two Grit-Guard bucket inserts for above listed buckets.
    3. Car wash soap - dilute properly as listed on the bottle. Most are 128:1 AKA one once to every gallon of water in the bucket. A great over the counter soap is Meguiar's NXT (purple color sold in 64oz jugs) or even Meguiar's Gold Class (though I personally prefer NXT because it seems just a little slicker).
    4. Quality wash mitts. If its something you don't wash after each car wash - you need new ones. I prefer the microfiber / chenille "dred-lock" style ones, though I think the lambs wool ones are best (but lack durability and cost more).
    5. Quality drying towels. Microfiber drying towels can be pricey (ours are around 13-20 dollars a piece) and you'll need at least two for each time you need to dry your car.
    6. A decent quick detailer / spray wax. Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax is AWESOME stuff over the counter. Sold in a black bottle, it isn't made to have any cleaning power / drying aids like Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer has. It's made to be used after a thorough washing and drying and will add a lot of slickness and shine to your car. Expect to get around a month of protection from this alone.
    7. Tire dressing. The gel type products have the best durability, but are nasty to work with and take too much time IMO. Grab something quick and easy like NoTouch tire shine. After applying, wait awhile and once the foam is about gone, use an old rag to wipe the tire's sidewall - this will give a nice uniform finish and will prevent residue from "slinging" up onto your car.

Those are the must-have categories. Optional, but highly recommended stuff includes a safe but effective wheel cleaner, wheel cleaning brushes, metal polish, trim dressing, bug & tar remover, etc.

If you have a question on any particular type of product, I'll try to recommend several options to include an over-the-counter one (if possible), and something that can be purchased online.
    www.autolavish.com

Man awesome thread and your awesome at answering questions, I wish I could get a Auto lavish coupon (lol) my Yukon is in NEED of a detail in and out! You guys are the best at what you do and everytime I talk to someone about detailing I refer them to you keep up the great work and communication!
    www.facebook.com/PaysoProductions Like US!!
    You Have Never Seen Racing Like This...
    Thanks to my sponsors
    TeamZ Motorsports
    Varsity Ford
    Fullthrottlespeed
    Motown Muscle
    Diamond Pistons
    Diamond Fabrication

Thread Information