Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask AutoLavish! Answers to your car care questions...

Marc,

What do you recommend for marine vinly? Somehting that will endure the sun and keep it soft and plyable without deteriating the thread. It's older vinly but still in exelent shape as it was always stored indoors when not in use. Also a nice cleaner, there are some light stains on the white, and if i could would love to brighten it back up, and help protect it for the years to come i will have it. I've always been a fan of the 303 protectants but can't seem to source them locally. ANy suggestions, preferrably locally sourced? I live downriver, and work in troy.
    90 Red Fox Notch factory short block on 175Sold
    02 GMC Sierra 2500 ECLB Passsing everything but a gas station
    98 Cavalier 2.2 rusty but trusty
    www.SKUNKRACING.net

Quote Originally Posted by 99slverZ View Post
    I will do actual slave labor for $25/hr. Literally I will wear a loin cloth and you can whip me for that kind of money.

Have you tried picking up 303 at an RV place, like Camping World? I've found it there a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
    Have you tried picking up 303 at an RV place, like Camping World? I've found it there a few times.
    I have, but they only have the big botttle massively overpriced. Murrays always caried the smaller botle for 12. I may just have to break down and buy the jug that will last me damn near a lifetime...lol.
    www.SKUNKRACING.net

I will do actual slave labor for $25/hr. Literally I will wear a loin cloth and you can whip me for that kind of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Billydroveit View Post
    I have, but they only have the big botttle massively overpriced. Murrays always caried the smaller botle for 12. I may just have to break down and buy the jug that will last me damn near a lifetime...lol.
    Sorry for the delay, and know that a bigger bottle will surely last a LONG time. There are a lot of good products out there, but I don't know how much you'll find locally other than 303. Online merchants like DetailedImage.com have a wide range of products in the event you want to order online.
    AutoLavish Fine Automobile Care
    www.autolavish.com

Read our Professional Detailing Articles Here

Like / Follow us on Facebook!

Got a Detailing or car care question? Ask us here!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc@AutoLavish View Post
    Sorry for the delay, and know that a bigger bottle will surely last a LONG time. There are a lot of good products out there, but I don't know how much you'll find locally other than 303. Online merchants like DetailedImage.com have a wide range of products in the event you want to order online.
    THanks Marc, I don't mind ordering if there's a superoir product to teh 303. But i don't know anything other than 303 is the best you can walk into a store and buy. I just don't want to take the risk of one of the cheaper products deteriorating the thread? Any reccomendations above the 303?
    www.SKUNKRACING.net

marc, I just picked up used OEM carpet for the wifes truck the carpet has 9k miles on it, I want to clean it while its laying flat on the3 basement floor, would you recommend woolite? if so at what ratio and hot or cold water, and what method Just wanna get it real clean before its installed
    To me, it's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, "Hey, can you give me a hand?" You can say, "Sorry, got these sacks."

Quote Originally Posted by Billydroveit View Post
    THanks Marc, I don't mind ordering if there's a superoir product to teh 303. But i don't know anything other than 303 is the best you can walk into a store and buy. I just don't want to take the risk of one of the cheaper products deteriorating the thread? Any reccomendations above the 303?
    No problem. I have to be honest: I'm not a marine-vehicle expert by any means, but certain aspects of care are universal. One is that a dedicated vinyl product is going to be your best bet. I know Meguiar's has an entire line of products dedicated to Marine-care, but I don't have a lot of knowledge about any of them specifically.
    Keep in mind that as you're able and willing to put a little work into this, you're way ahead of most people that just keep an "out-of-sight / out-of-mind" mentality to their expensive toys. Look into the Meguiar's Marine line, and keep an eye out for dedicated cleaners. All Purpose Cleaner can be used on vinyl with outstanding results with a little physical agitation, as could a dedicated vinyl cleaning product.
    Brands I'm familiar with and trust: Meguiar's, 303, 1Z, Optimum.
    www.autolavish.com

Quote Originally Posted by moneypit View Post
    marc, I just picked up used OEM carpet for the wifes truck the carpet has 9k miles on it, I want to clean it while its laying flat on the3 basement floor, would you recommend woolite? if so at what ratio and hot or cold water, and what method Just wanna get it real clean before its installed
    Great question, and it's smart to be proactive about things like thing BEFORE it's installed and put away.
    Woolite can likely work well: use it at 10:1 or even 15:1 with a little agitation. Any other specific fabric or carpet cleaning products can likely work as well. Always use hot water if available as it helps to break things down easier.
    One important step that's surely worth the extra time: once you allow the carpet to completely dry, use a carpet protectant like 3M ScotchGard in two thin layers (multiple thin layers are MUCH better than one thick layer). While it won't last forever, it'll help to keep the carpet looking outstanding and will be easier to clean down the road.
    www.autolavish.com

Club Member

Question for you; I'll be storing my Mustang this winter in my garage (non-heated, single car detached garage with a brand new door on it), and am planning on buying a cover for the car to keep it clean while it sits. I'm looking at two on Ford's accessory site (although, if you have a better recommendation, that's cool too). Here's the two covers they offer:

http://accessories.ford.com/full-veh...for-v6-gt.html

http://accessories.ford.com/full-veh...l-special.html

Any other suggestions for storage would be welcome as well. This will be the first time I've stored a car over winter. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by J1000 View Post
    Question for you; I'll be storing my Mustang this winter in my garage (non-heated, single car detached garage with a brand new door on it), and am planning on buying a cover for the car to keep it clean while it sits. I'm looking at two on Ford's accessory site (although, if you have a better recommendation, that's cool too). Here's the two covers they offer:

http://accessories.ford.com/full-veh...for-v6-gt.html

http://accessories.ford.com/full-veh...l-special.html

Any other suggestions for storage would be welcome as well. This will be the first time I've stored a car over winter. Thanks!
    I don't see a reason to choose the more expensive cover. You could always buy the cheaper one and use $15 in 3M ScotchGard and likely get the same result. Careful with the cover though: you have something sitting directly next to your clear coat, so any dirt or even light dust will be trapped against the surface; any rubbing will result in micro-marring / swirls. Make sure it's only used when the car is super clean as it's hard to clean a giant car cover.
    www.autolavish.com

Thread Information