Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask AutoLavish! Answers to your car care questions...

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marc@AutoLavish View Post
    I don't see a reason to choose the more expensive cover. You could always buy the cheaper one and use $15 in 3M ScotchGard and likely get the same result. Careful with the cover though: you have something sitting directly next to your clear coat, so any dirt or even light dust will be trapped against the surface; any rubbing will result in micro-marring / swirls. Make sure it's only used when the car is super clean as it's hard to clean a giant car cover.
    Gotchya; thanks!

No prob and goodluck!
    AutoLavish Fine Automobile Care
    www.autolavish.com

Read our Professional Detailing Articles Here

Like / Follow us on Facebook!

Got a Detailing or car care question? Ask us here!

Hey Marc, thanks for being so open to the community!

I just had my car painted and am starting cut/buffing soon and want your opinion on pads and compounds. I have an orbital Makita right now that I plan to use for the heavy work, and am looking into a Porter Cable kit to finish it off (http://www.autogeek.net/hk7424.html) Which pads would you recommend I get? Also, I have used Megs compounds in the past and have access to them locally. Are they good products or would you recommend a different company? Thanks!

p.s. I can waste hours reading through your guys' articles
    Last edited by jetice91; 10-19-2011 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetice91 View Post
    Hey Marc, thanks for being so open to the community!

I just had my car painted and am starting cut/buffing soon and want your opinion on pads and compounds. I have an orbital Makita right now that I plan to use for the heavy work, and am looking into a Porter Cable kit to finish it off (http://www.autogeek.net/hk7424.html) Which pads would you recommend I get? Also, I have used Megs compounds in the past and have access to them locally. Are they good products or would you recommend a different company? Thanks!

p.s. I can waste hours reading through your guys' articles

Hey there!
    Sorry for the delay in my response to begin. I'm glad to hear you're trying to do your research to save money, time, and achieve better results.
    To keep things to the point and basic, here's my advice on your situation.

Polishes I'd recommend from the highest cut to the least cut: 3M Extra Cut Rubbing Compound, Meguiar's 105, Meguiar's 205, 3M Ultrafine Machine Polish.
    Pads needed: Wool, Surbuf, Orange, White, Black, Blue
    If you're in need of sanding disks, Abralon is hard to beat: http://www.buffdaddy.com/abralon/discs
    Chances are you'd be good with 3000, but might need as much as 1000, 2000, 3000, and maybe even 4000 depending on what you're doing.

Meguiar's has been making quality products for years, and now they're owned by 3M. Two brands combined that I could do an entire car with without an issue if I had to.
    Make sure to read thi thread if you haven't: http://www.motownmuscle.com/forums/s...y-Makita-9227C

I hope this helps and feel free to ask more questions if you have them
    www.autolavish.com

Thanks for the reply, I well definitely look into everything you mentioned
    Last edited by jetice91; 10-22-2011 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetice91 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I well definitely look into everything you mentioned
    For sure and good luck!
    www.autolavish.com

Marc,
    I just bought a new truck and want to give the paint some protection for the upcoming winter. What do you suggest I do to give it some protection and keep it shiny during the long Detroit winter?
    Matt

2005 Corvette Z51

Blackfire Wet Diamond. Hands down my favorite LSP out there right now. I know Marc is more versed on the stuff, but I'll throw in my vote right now.

Hey Marc -

My new used car has suede inserts in the seats (light colored), what's the best way to clean them? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter70 View Post
    Marc,
    I just bought a new truck and want to give the paint some protection for the upcoming winter. What do you suggest I do to give it some protection and keep it shiny during the long Detroit winter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
    Blackfire Wet Diamond. Hands down my favorite LSP out there right now. I know Marc is more versed on the stuff, but I'll throw in my vote right now.
    Good call Steve. The important thing is to break down exactly what Overboost recommended and why.

Synthetic products (sealants is the proper term) offer better long term durability, more slickness, and an easier application than traditional waxes. A product like Blackfire Wet Diamond would be highly recommended as it actually has a shot at lasting the Winter, while most waxes would likely wear off before Winter ended.
    In addition, a product like a quality sealant can be applied in multiple thin layers to increase its protective properties slightly. While you won't get double durability, you will have a more uniform layer of protection that will wear (degrade) more evenly.
    www.autolavish.com

Thread Information