Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask AutoLavish! Answers to your car care questions...

Quote Originally Posted by NVR2FST View Post
    Hey Marc -

My new used car has suede inserts in the seats (light colored), what's the best way to clean them? Thanks!
    I'd recommend using something like Leather Master Foam Cleaner (Leather Master Strong Cleaner in aerosol form, made to handle suede, nubuck, and the like): http://www.detailersdomain.com/Alcan...are_c_190.html

Follow the directions and keep in mind multiple thin and light cleanings are better than one heavy one. GL!
    AutoLavish Fine Automobile Care
    www.autolavish.com

Read our Professional Detailing Articles Here

Like / Follow us on Facebook!

Got a Detailing or car care question? Ask us here!

Thanks Marc!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc@AutoLavish View Post
    I'd recommend using something like Leather Master Foam Cleaner (Leather Master Strong Cleaner in aerosol form, made to handle suede, nubuck, and the like): http://www.detailersdomain.com/Alcan...are_c_190.html

Follow the directions and keep in mind multiple thin and light cleanings are better than one heavy one. GL!

No prob
    www.autolavish.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marc@AutoLavish View Post
    Good call Steve. The important thing is to break down exactly what Overboost recommended and why.

Synthetic products (sealants is the proper term) offer better long term durability, more slickness, and an easier application than traditional waxes. A product like Blackfire Wet Diamond would be highly recommended as it actually has a shot at lasting the Winter, while most waxes would likely wear off before Winter ended.
    In addition, a product like a quality sealant can be applied in multiple thin layers to increase its protective properties slightly. While you won't get double durability, you will have a more uniform layer of protection that will wear (degrade) more evenly.
    Sorry I didn't elaborate on why I liked it. Easy application and removal, great slickness, and it seems to hold up well, even through weekly washes. I've gotten good at applying it with my 7424, so you use very little and cover the car quickly. It's not terribly expensive either. $30 for a small bottle isn't bad compared to some of the "ultra high end" products you can buy.

Two coats of Blackfire Wet Diamond later, my Ecoboost looks fantastic. Thanks for the recommendation Marc and thanks Steve for letting me borrow your bottle. It went on and came off pretty easily by hand. I'll definitely be placing an order for a bottle of my own. I also did all of the trim with Aerospace 303 but by the time I was done it was dark so I couldn't get any pictures.

Matt

2005 Corvette Z51

Looks nice, Matt. Make sure you keep it out of tunnel washes as well as tough free car washes. They use heavy detergents to "clean" the paint since nothing touches the vehicle. Could strip that sealant right off of it. I recommend getting some Optimum No Rinse car wash.
    1999 Z28. A4. Magnaflow catback and a lid. 60k miles.

Forum Member

I need to polish my rims while storing my car for the winter, what takes off a little of whatever has acculated in the corners of the spokes?
    They are chrome Saleen wheels if that makes a difference and I have three of the four removed already so I can bring them in the house one at a time if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by mrvids View Post
    I need to polish my rims while storing my car for the winter, what takes off a little of whatever has acculated in the corners of the spokes?
    They are chrome Saleen wheels if that makes a difference and I have three of the four removed already so I can bring them in the house one at a time if needed.
    First and foremost, get a good wheel cleaner to use. I'd recommend Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner as it'll be safe for your wheels, and it should help greatly. At the end of the day, you might have to just use a lighter metal polish and some good 'ol elbow grease. Even once you get them looking right, it's worth the investment into a couple of good brushes and a good wheel cleaner. Keeping your wheels looking good is easier than trying to restore your wheels once or twice a year. In addition, heavy brake dust build up causes pitting of the wheel's surface, which causes dullness in the finish, flaking of the clear-coat or chrome, and makes your wheels harder to clean while accumulating brake dust easier.
    www.autolavish.com

marc any suggestions on what to clean factory under coat with? Trying to get It back to its original black
    To me, it's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, "Hey, can you give me a hand?" You can say, "Sorry, got these sacks."

Quote Originally Posted by moneypit View Post
    marc any suggestions on what to clean factory under coat with? Trying to get It back to its original black
    Underside of the vehicle? As long as you have her in the air, grab some all purpose cleaner, various brushes, and get to work. Start by pressure washing off anything you can, and then work sections at a time.

Take into account that depending on what your vehicle was coated with and where the vehicle has been driven, the underside can be chipped, nicked, stained, and discolored. Some things might just need to be touched up and refinished.
    www.autolavish.com

Thread Information