Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask AutoLavish! Answers to your car care questions...

What do you use to keep rag/vinyl tops from drying out? I recently picked up a 92 Stinkin' Lincoln Town Car that the top is in beautiful condition but I anticipate once the sun hits it then it's going to dry up and crack like the old man that used to drive it. I ran out of the proprietary stuff that ASC used (still does?) to use. Marine/boat stuff seems like it might be a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post
    What do you use to keep rag/vinyl tops from drying out? I recently picked up a 92 Stinkin' Lincoln Town Car that the top is in beautiful condition but I anticipate once the sun hits it then it's going to dry up and crack like the old man that used to drive it. I ran out of the proprietary stuff that ASC used (still does?) to use. Marine/boat stuff seems like it might be a bad idea.
    Good question!
    The top is no doubt vinyl which needs to be treated correctly. Sun damage will dry it out and have it cracking if not maintained. Look into products like 303 Aerospace Protectant and other rubber/vinyl care products. The key isn't spending a lot of time every now and then to maintain the top; the key is spending very small amounts of time frequently.

Once a month put a super thin coat of protectant on the top after she gets washed. Thick layers will attract dirt and dust causing premature wear. A very thin layer will add enough additional UV ray protect without you having to worry about the top feeling oily.
    Of course only apply on a clean top that is cool and in the shade.
    AutoLavish Fine Automobile Care
    www.autolavish.com

Read our Professional Detailing Articles Here

Like / Follow us on Facebook!

Got a Detailing or car care question? Ask us here!

Forum Member

APC for wheel wells? Anything to use to dress them that wont attract a ton of dirt? I've used Fantastik on them for forever and a brush, seems to do a good job, but not sure of what to use to dress them.

Quote Originally Posted by erk2581 View Post
    APC for wheel wells? Anything to use to dress them that wont attract a ton of dirt? I've used Fantastik on them for forever and a brush, seems to do a good job, but not sure of what to use to dress them.
    One of the key's isn't just in what you use, but how you use it.

Use a water-based dressing and let it completely air dry and it shouldn't attract anything. You can also use a tire shine product sprayed and allowed to air dry - just be careful with getting any slippery product all over your tire tread.
    www.autolavish.com

Maaaaaaaarc! Best wax for a new vehicle.

Keep in mind its a Sierra extended cab 4x4 and theres a lot of real estate to cover.
    1955 Chevy Bel Air, 327, 4 speed
    2020 CCSB Silverado RST

Quote Originally Posted by Marc@AutoLavish View Post
    Go to your local store and purchase a bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax (yellow Nissan GT-R on the front of the black bottle). It's a synthetic product (sealant) with decent durability (won't be an issue to something that won't have sun hitting it), and is quite slick. Mist and wipe around and you'll be good. Once done, you can use it after your normal washes to improve gloss, slickness, and protection as well.
    Never mind I'll just buy this. Sounds perfect for a big truck
    1955 Chevy Bel Air, 327, 4 speed
    2020 CCSB Silverado RST

Forum Member

i have upper and lower powdercoated in mirror black intakes and valve covers that are alittle dusty what do you recommend to clean them with ?

Quote Originally Posted by jsxtreme View Post
    Never mind I'll just buy this. Sounds perfect for a big truck
    And it is - let me know how you end up liking it.

Quote Originally Posted by hsean1 View Post
    i have upper and lower powdercoated in mirror black intakes and valve covers that are alittle dusty what do you recommend to clean them with ?
    Just about anything. A light cleaning shouldn't be hard. Use an ultra soft brush or microfiber towel to assist in your cleaning efforts along with diluted all purpose cleaner. Rinse / flush with water, use a leaf blower or compressed air to blow off any standing water afterwards, and you should be good to go. Afterwards, follow up with a quick detailer or spray wax to help even out the finish so that it's spot free. Usually this wouldn't be needed, but with gloss black, it's worth the extra 5 minutes of work.
    www.autolavish.com

Awesome thread!! I originally was looking for the video you posted a while back about washing you're vehicle in the winter and ran across this thread. I just bought a 12 VW Jetta TDI and I'm about to get myself a slew of car care products and this thread answered every question I had. Thanks for all the info Marc!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr00p View Post
    Awesome thread!! I originally was looking for the video you posted a while back about washing you're vehicle in the winter and ran across this thread. I just bought a 12 VW Jetta TDI and I'm about to get myself a slew of car care products and this thread answered every question I had. Thanks for all the info Marc!
    thanks a lot man - really made my day
    www.autolavish.com

Thread Information