Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask AutoLavish! Answers to your car care questions...

Quote Originally Posted by YLWFVR View Post
    303 Rocks. I use it on my interior as well. Although hard to find, I did find some at the marine store on 14 Mile & Dequindre.
    Thanks for chiming in to help. Always good to hear from multiple guys who have experience with a product rather than just one source.
    It sure can be tough to find - I think most people just order it online. A little goes a long way and a bottle should last A LONG time.
    I'm not crazy about using it on my interior because I don't like the finish as much as some other products I have - but it's a very good product regardless and I'd highly recommend it.
    AutoLavish Fine Automobile Care
    www.autolavish.com

Read our Professional Detailing Articles Here

Like / Follow us on Facebook!

Got a Detailing or car care question? Ask us here!

Here's one that might be a bit of a curveball....

What should I use on cloth (say headliner or sunvisor) to remove adhesive left behind when you peel those gaudy warning labels off? It's on black cloth.

I have not tried goof-off or goo-gone or any of the standard adhesive removers for fear of leaving behind adhesive or discoloring the fabric.

Thanks!
    Ryan

+1 on using 303. I've been using it for a while and have nothing but good things to say about it. Also seems like there are more uses for it than I originally though. Never a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc@AutoLavish View Post
    Thanks for chiming in to help. Always good to hear from multiple guys who have experience with a product rather than just one source.
    It sure can be tough to find - I think most people just order it online. A little goes a long way and a bottle should last A LONG time.
    I'm not crazy about using it on my interior because I don't like the finish as much as some other products I have - but it's a very good product regardless and I'd highly recommend it.
    What I like about it is the non shiny finish. As you said, a little goes a long way. I've also noticed that it does not attract as much dust as other interior products.

Quote Originally Posted by CLC85TA View Post
    Here's one that might be a bit of a curveball....

What should I use on cloth (say headliner or sunvisor) to remove adhesive left behind when you peel those gaudy warning labels off? It's on black cloth.

I have not tried goof-off or goo-gone or any of the standard adhesive removers for fear of leaving behind adhesive or discoloring the fabric.

Thanks!
    Ryan
    Crap...that's why I never took mine off
    I wouldn't want to use any type of liquid as it'll likely be absorbed into the fabric more than an aerosol spray would. I guess you should try something like a wax and adhesive remover in a can. Keep in mind you'll be better off with multiple light applications and scrubbing than to use one heavy dose and risk damage / discoloration.
    www.autolavish.com

Ok, how bout this. 2000 Jeep GC Laredo with the plastic body cladding on the lower 1/2 of the truck (plus the bumpers). The plastic was a dark grey when new, but has faded to an ash gray. I used armor all on them and they look great until it rains or gets washed. To compound the problem, some goo gone ran down the plastic when the badges were removed, and now there are bright white streaks on it when the armor all wears off. Is there another product I could use to get the plastic back in decent shape that doesnt wear off quickly?

Forum Member

Ah, the fluke multi-meter looking plastic mega moulding. If the companies would not have painted the body underneath the moulding as a cost savings it would make more sense...

Of course these plastics get bombarded by sun, temperature, and all the harsh cleaning chemicals for many years. Nothing will make it look new again, but there are a few things that can help make it look better. First step is the thoroughly clean it. Get some wax remover or solvent and try to clean the plastics' surface as good as possible. Next, try something to "condition" the plastic. There is a product called Black Wow that works wonders. A few applications of this over a week or so should drastically improve its appearance. You can also try peanut butter (creamy please as the nuts will cause scratching). Apply, let sit a little, then wipe off. The oils help darken and equalize the plastics' appearance. Back to Black is another product, similar to shoe shine polish, that some people like. You could also just try shoe polish (kiwi brand?).

Once this is done, regular upkeep should only require typical armor all or other trim detailer. Let us know how it works!
    Last edited by Jacob@AutoLavish; 06-03-2010 at 01:16 PM.

Thanks for the advice, I will give those a shot!

Thanks for the advice. I tried finding information on cleaning interior surfaces but didn't see anything. What sort of things would work best for cleaning armrests/seats on foxbodies? I usually just use a bit of dish soap and water. Also, are there any good interior surface protectants that leave a matte finish? I really dislike the look of armor-all and hate how it attracts dust.

Quote Originally Posted by 89five.o View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I tried finding information on cleaning interior surfaces but didn't see anything. What sort of things would work best for cleaning armrests/seats on foxbodies? I usually just use a bit of dish soap and water. Also, are there any good interior surface protectants that leave a matte finish? I really dislike the look of armor-all and hate how it attracts dust.
    I take it the question is about cleaning hard interior surfaces. First off - keep away from dish soap. Using harsh disinfectants isn't needed on your car - no need to sanitize the finish in order to safely eat off the surface.
    In place, try using a light dilution of Woolite (10:1 or if its the Woolite for H.E. washers, try it 15:1) and a soft bristle brush to work away the build-up and wipe fresh with a soft towel (cotton is fine). For dressing / protecting, our favorite product is 1Z Cockpit Premium as it has light cleaning ability, a very light neutral lemon scent, and the PERFECT matte finish. Another good product is something like Meguiar's #40 as it has UV ray protection and a satin finish.
    An additional tip for dressings is to wait 2-5 minutes and wipe the residue to leave less shine. This works for everything from interior products to tires.
    www.autolavish.com

Thread Information