Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask AutoLavish! Answers to your car care questions...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4v Shane View Post
    What is the secret of removing specks of road tar? I have tried dang near everything and have had no prevail ?
    Quote Originally Posted by 4 cam tbird View Post
    I go to the quarter car washes and start with the low pressure soap on the bug covered areas and wheels (I use really dusty brake pads). Then flip to high pressure, wash the rest of the car while the low pressure soap soaks. Then I blast the bugs with the high pressure. Usually works pretty good, especially right after waxing and if it hasn't sat out in the sun.

Right on. The sooner you wash the better the bugs will come off, and the less chancefor the acid from their guts etchng your paint. Wax or sealants make it much easier as the bugs cannot stick on as easily, and the wax gets consumed by the acids nstead of the paint. But beware of the soap used in most car washes, coin op or automatic. The soaps are quite harsh, will strip wax amd sealants, and most also have beading agents to cause the impression your wax is still there. I like to take my own bucket and shampoo. Some places frown upon this, but I try to go when it is slow, and have never had anyone say anything about using my own stuff.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4v Shane View Post
    What is the secret of removing specks of road tar? I have tried dang near everything and have had no prevail ?
    Oh man how I hate road tar! It is a PITA to remove, and involves much rubbing. First, the least agreasive method, clay. This should remove most of it. If clay is not enough, you will need a solvent. 3M wax and adhesive remover sprayed on a soft and clean MF towel, rub over the tar spec to moisten, let sit for a few seconds, then wipe off (always use low pressure when wiping anything). We also use Meg's body solvent, or FK1 #1119 (thats the actual name!). In a pinch i have used straight up gasoline on a cotton towel (WE DO NOT RECOMEND THIS TO ANYONE!) on a vehicle that had an abundance of rubber and tar behind the rear wheels . You could also try rubbing alcohol. But any method will require elbow grease.

Banned

Thanks! I was a little nervous about trying the gasoline trick but i will defn try out that solution you listed !!

^ let us know how it goes!
    AutoLavish Fine Automobile Care
    www.autolavish.com

Read our Professional Detailing Articles Here

Like / Follow us on Facebook!

Got a Detailing or car care question? Ask us here!

Banned

I defn will I would try it tonight but we have some tornados roaming around in the area

Official Motown Events Director Hugger Z's Avatar

Alright fella's, I was previously a Zaino nut. I used nothing but Zaino on my car for the last 10 years. It has kept my car looking great and it definitely good in the longevity area. Well I am finally running out of supplies and looking to restock my polishing items. I do not use a power buffer, I do it all by hand. So my question is what product(s) would you recommend to use for a DIY kind of person? My car has been professionally detailed by Detail Express for last year's Autorama so it has been done with the machines.

I previously used the following:
    Z2 - Polish
    Z5 - swirl remover
    Z6 - Detail Spray
    Z7 - Carwash
    Z9 - Leather Cleaner
    Z10 - Leather Treatment
    Z16 - Tire Gloss

I used the 100% cotton towels like they originally called for. I also used either the as seen on TV or Meguiars claybar with a mix of Z7 & H20 as a lubricant.

I have seen stuff recently about the Meguairs NXT and other stuff and was just wondering what kind of 'basics' you guys would recommend someone to use. I see Zaino has many newer products now as it has been a while since I ordered anything. Thus the reason for my question. I did pick up some microfiber towels to start using when I detail the car.

Thanks in advance for any input here guys!
    My Toys: Hugger Orange 1999 Z28 6-Spd Twin Turbo
    1937 Chevy Pick Up Extended Cab (1 of 1)
    Future Toy: Orange Ultima GTR or SLC...

Quote Originally Posted by Hugger Z View Post
    Alright fella's, I was previously a Zaino nut. I used nothing but Zaino on my car for the last 10 years. It has kept my car looking great and it definitely good in the longevity area. Well I am finally running out of supplies and looking to restock my polishing items. I do not use a power buffer, I do it all by hand. So my question is what product(s) would you recommend to use for a DIY kind of person? My car has been professionally detailed by Detail Express for last year's Autorama so it has been done with the machines.
    I previously used the following:
    Z2 - Polish
    Z5 - swirl remover
    Z6 - Detail Spray
    Z7 - Carwash
    Z9 - Leather Cleaner
    Z10 - Leather Treatment
    Z16 - Tire Gloss
    I used the 100% cotton towels like they originally called for. I also used either the as seen on TV or Meguiars claybar with a mix of Z7 & H20 as a lubricant.
    I have seen stuff recently about the Meguairs NXT and other stuff and was just wondering what kind of 'basics' you guys would recommend someone to use. I see Zaino has many newer products now as it has been a while since I ordered anything. Thus the reason for my question. I did pick up some microfiber towels to start using when I detail the car.
    Thanks in advance for any input here guys!
    Aaahhh, a Zaino fan
    Zaino is great stuff first and foremost. One of their benefits is offering pro-style products to the enthusiast market with proper instructions on how to use their products - and PEOPLE LISTEN! That's the main key - people using professional grade products in a professional manner.
    That being said - don't get me wrong; there's nothing wrong with over the counter products. OTC products are made for the majority of the population. That's the reason most "waxes" offered have abrasives or cleaning agents in them: because most people don't have a clayed car, nor do they have a polished out car, so when they use those OTC waxes, they're doing more to improve their finish than most of the products we use.
    Here's the highlights of Zaino products, and why they work well:
    Clay: they have users clay their paint to remove contamination - as everyone should prior to using a professional style sealant.
    Sealants: they call them "polish" but thats just marketing. They don't have abrasive agents or cleaning agents which means you can layer them... just as the type of products I use on my own car, or on client's cars. Additionally, they tell you that you should use the sealant as thin a possible... just like ALL sealants/waxes!
    Additional products from a brand you now trust: now that you've been converted to Zaino - you trust them. They make good products that work if you follow the directions, so you venture out to purchasing other Zaino products like car wash shampoo, leather care products, etc.

Truth be told, I believe there are a lot better products than what Zaino offers - to include sealants. They FINALLY started to approve the use of microfiber towels (now that they sell them) - the only thing I'd recommend touching your finish. What I'd recommend in the place of Zaino will depend on where you want to buy, and how much you're willing to spend. If you're happy with what you have - then no use in switching.
    Meguiar's NXT2.0 "Tech Wax" (really a sealant) has slight cleaning agents, which means it doesn't really layer. It does look outstanding, but will only give you 2-3 months of durability, so even though it's available locally, most guys would rather spend more to get a longer lasting product.
    www.autolavish.com

Official Motown Events Director Hugger Z's Avatar

Yeah that is what I liked about the Zaino. All of the products build on each other for additional layers of protection. And the longevity is definitely better than 2-3 months. Hell, I think I went almost 2 years without a full detail once. Just the carwash & detailer spray for cleanings. But I remember reading that those helped add a little protection with each use. And the car sure looked nice & clean no matter what. Hell, it still does. There is a layer of dust on it in the garage since it's still under construction but you can still see the shine under there. And it looks awesome when I dust it off.

I will stick with the Zaino then. Unless you can recommend another product with comparable or better longevity. I used to use waxes & such back in college but those never lasted more than a few months and the car was dull again. I definitely have no complaints with the Zaino keeping the car shiny. Hell, I even did it to my winter beater and I still get comments with how nice it looks. It does look like Zaino has some new products to try as well. What do you guys recommend for interiors? I won't touch Armor All since it breaks down plastic and causes brittleness. I think I used to use the tireshine on my plastic but can't remember as it's been a while. Thanks for the input guys.
    My Toys: Hugger Orange 1999 Z28 6-Spd Twin Turbo
    1937 Chevy Pick Up Extended Cab (1 of 1)
    Future Toy: Orange Ultima GTR or SLC...

Quote Originally Posted by Hugger Z View Post
    Yeah that is what I liked about the Zaino. All of the products build on each other for additional layers of protection. And the longevity is definitely better than 2-3 months. Hell, I think I went almost 2 years without a full detail once. Just the carwash & detailer spray for cleanings. But I remember reading that those helped add a little protection with each use. And the car sure looked nice & clean no matter what. Hell, it still does. There is a layer of dust on it in the garage since it's still under construction but you can still see the shine under there. And it looks awesome when I dust it off.

I will stick with the Zaino then. Unless you can recommend another product with comparable or better longevity. I used to use waxes & such back in college but those never lasted more than a few months and the car was dull again. I definitely have no complaints with the Zaino keeping the car shiny. Hell, I even did it to my winter beater and I still get comments with how nice it looks. It does look like Zaino has some new products to try as well. What do you guys recommend for interiors? I won't touch Armor All since it breaks down plastic and causes brittleness. I think I used to use the tireshine on my plastic but can't remember as it's been a while. Thanks for the input guys.
    Well the good news is that the reasons you like Zaino (layer-able, spray sealant / quick detailer adds protection, good durability, etc) are pretty much universal with all the good products out there. Sealants like Solfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0, Menzerna FMJ, Menzerna Powerlock, Blackfire Wet Diamond, etc can all be layered for additional durability. While Zaino has some of the best durability on the market, products like the Menzernas mentioned and Blackfire trade a small hint of durability for a huge increase in slickness (especially when applied by machine).

Quick waxes / Spray sealants / Quick detailers - there's lots to choose from. An absolutely AWESOME OTC product is Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax. Wash your car, dry it, then apply a thin layer of this stuff and you'll increase your protection while adding A LOT of slickness. Other products available to purchase online are Dodo Juice Red Mist Tropical (my favorite quick detailer / spray sealant), FK#425 (quick detailer), Opti-Seal (Zaino actually came out with a version called Z-CS) - both are spray and wipe sealants - no wiping off, and a lot of good products from Jeff Werkstat.

Car wash soap... A LOT are good and get the job done. My new favorite is Dodo Juice Supernatural Shampoo. Lots of stuff went into making it, and my research lead me to believe it should be good. I gave it a try and have been amazed since. Most car wash shampoos dilute 128:1 (a gallon of water per ounce of shampoo product). Supernatural Shampoo dilutes 1500:1, so you need very very little (of course it's not sold in large bottles).
    I've used lots and lots of different types, and many are good and would be fine to use. OTC I like Meguiar's NXT - it's purple and in a 64oz bottle. I believe it's a lot like Gold Class, but has added slickness.

For interiors, our favorite product by far has been 1Z Cockpit Premium (I think we're nearly half done with a 10liter jug). OTC, Meguiar's Ultimate Interior Detailer is nice, as is Meguiar's #40.
    www.autolavish.com

Forum Member

Hugger,

I am also a huge Zaino fan. Z6 is still my favorite all around quick detailer, and a must for soft black paint (like my old Berlina Black S2k) for sealant removal. It streaks the least. But Z8 really ups the shine factor, but still less than Red Mist Tropical. But I called Zaino to order some stuff in larger quantities and they denied and showed no interest. So for now we use other products, and have a small stash of Z6 and Z8 for special occasions

Zaino Z7 (Car Wash) works great in both 2-bucket method and foam gun. But its cost vs effectiveness is higher than other shampoos. If you are going to buy Zaino stuff anyways, stock up on Z7. But I wouldn't make a special purchase just for Z7. Supernatural Shampoo feels better and is actually more cost effective.

Zaino's glass polish is awesome, but needs to be used by machine. Diamondite Glass Reconditioning Polish is a close second.

Opti-Seal seems to get better reviews than the Zaino CS, which is more prone to leaving a haze, thus making it not-so-spray-and-walk-away.

Their "Custom Polish Applicators" are not worth the cost. They do not last a single washing, so I'd rather buy similar ones that are actually better and longer lasting. Never use an applicator that has caked on "polish" for risk of swirling.

But my favorite Zaino product has to be Z9 and Z10, their leather care. I love the smell, the feel, the look of Z10 for maintenance of good leather seats (like my M3). After either Leatherique or Leather Master's for once a year deep cleaning, Z9 and Z10 is a nice treat.
    Last edited by Jacob@AutoLavish; 06-10-2010 at 08:35 PM.

Thread Information