Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask AutoLavish! Answers to your car care questions...

Do you have general guidelines or tips for using and caring for touch up paint for small scratched and dings?

Quote Originally Posted by Kryp2nitE View Post
    Do you have general guidelines or tips for using and caring for touch up paint for small scratched and dings?
    The key to touch up is to build up the paint in very fine layers. Multiple thin layers will layer down much nicer than a blob of paint. Additionally, a blob of paint will attract attention to the defect rather than minimalizing the attention of that area. Prior to using, make sure to thoroughly prep the area with a cleaner for a better bond.
    Last, keep in mind that most touch-up is lacquer based, so if anything goes wrong or you feel you can do better, use a little lacquer thinner to remove and start again.
    AutoLavish Fine Automobile Care
    www.autolavish.com

Read our Professional Detailing Articles Here

Like / Follow us on Facebook!

Got a Detailing or car care question? Ask us here!

best way to make clearcoated oem aluminum wheels on a traiblazer ss, shine up the best?
    15 Wrangler
    15 RAM v6

Fiat Mopars!

Quote Originally Posted by dline View Post
    best way to make clearcoated oem aluminum wheels on a traiblazer ss, shine up the best?
    Because they're clear-coated, you're safe to use acid based cleaners. Those will be the most effective one's, but you'll need to make sure you don't use them on the wheels if they're hot (or even warm), make sure to use wheel cleaner in the shade, and don't allow it to sit too long. You also might want to look into a tar/wax/adhesive remover to help with those stubborn specs.
    www.autolavish.com

what cleaner do you recommend?
    15 Wrangler
    15 RAM v6

Fiat Mopars!

Quote Originally Posted by dline View Post
    what cleaner do you recommend?
    Meguiar's Wheel Brightener is what I'd use.
    www.autolavish.com

I removed my teeth on purpose....if you catch my drift Stalker's Avatar

Marc, I have an 06 Charger that I try to take good care of. it's driven daily, but gets consistent washes, waxes etc... I currently have pictures I need to post up of the most recent cleaning it took. My question is this. There's areas of the car that have a "white" hazing to the paint at all times. The car has metallic black paint, so it stands out. The areas are the front bumper, and the lower corner of the side of the car near the wheel wells. It's not white white, but it's like it's hazed over. I've tried using rubbing compound on it, tried buffing it out, but nothing seems to work. Most people won't notice it, but I do, and it pisses me off to no end. Is there anything i can do to get that out?
    '13 Dodge Charger R/T
    '14 Druango R/T Blacktop Edition

Quote Originally Posted by stalked_R/T View Post
    Marc, I have an 06 Charger that I try to take good care of. it's driven daily, but gets consistent washes, waxes etc... I currently have pictures I need to post up of the most recent cleaning it took. My question is this. There's areas of the car that have a "white" hazing to the paint at all times. The car has metallic black paint, so it stands out. The areas are the front bumper, and the lower corner of the side of the car near the wheel wells. It's not white white, but it's like it's hazed over. I've tried using rubbing compound on it, tried buffing it out, but nothing seems to work. Most people won't notice it, but I do, and it pisses me off to no end. Is there anything i can do to get that out?
    Sounds like maybe some type of chemical etching? Hard to say without seeing it. Post up a pic and hopefully it'll help to brain-storm a solution
    www.autolavish.com

I have two questions. My Shelby is just a weekend fun car and is stored in my garage. What is the best method of taking the dust from a drive off the car and not adding swirls to the finish? California dust mop? QD spray and a micro fiber? Or just let her get dirty and give it a bath once a month?

Second question is my water is well water. It will leave nasty water spots and seems to have a high salt content as my rotors will have a layer of rust after a wash. Would a water filter help this and what type? Can you recommend one?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by 81z28 View Post
    I have two questions. My Shelby is just a weekend fun car and is stored in my garage. What is the best method of taking the dust from a drive off the car and not adding swirls to the finish? California dust mop? QD spray and a micro fiber? Or just let her get dirty and give it a bath once a month?

Second question is my water is well water. It will leave nasty water spots and seems to have a high salt content as my rotors will have a layer of rust after a wash. Would a water filter help this and what type? Can you recommend one?

Thanks,
    First off, I saw (and commented) on your post in the photo section showing your new Shelby - congrat's: that's a bbbbaaaadddd machine.

Weekend/pleasure cars can create problems for owners as they want them to always look show room clean. A daily will be driven enough so that "clean-enough" is acceptable, but a car strictly for fun has different standards. Everyone has their own method and ideas of whats a good way to get rid of dust / light dirt, but IMHO, there's no better way than a traditional two-bucket wash (with grit-guard inserts). I don't like the idea of dusters (though the California duster is quite popular of course) as they more often get loaded up with dirt and dust particals and are never cleaned out. Additionally, I believe that if you want the safest method possible, you'll want/need a liquid to suspend the dirt particals in so they may be gently removed from the surface on your car. Quick detail and microfiber's can help, but you'll need a good amount of shag-style microfibers (look up the Eurow brand shag microfiber towels), and can go through quick detailer pretty easily. Just as with washing, only wipe in straight lines to help avoid swirl marks, and try to be as gentle as possible.

I've heard of two main systems for water purifiers with the most popular being the CR spotless system: http://www.detailedimage.com/CRSpotless-M30/

Because they leave the water without an contaminates, you don't have to dry off your car if you choose in theory. I still would want to gently dry myself, but maybe because it just seem so unnatural :P
    As for your rotors - don't worry as that happens to all rotors (unless you get some extremely pricey carbon-ceramics) and goes away with your first braking. If it really bugs you, drive the car around the block once you wash it - it'll force the water out of places where it hides to later drip (like the mirrors, trunk, door sills, etc) and it'll give you a chance to get the thin layer of oxidation off your rotors.

This missing link here will be using a quality wax or sealant to give your car plenty of protection. While waxes/synthetic sealants are sacrificial barriers against bird-bombs, fall-out, pollution, etc, the best thing about them is the make it harder for dirt to stick, and make it that much easier to wash your car resulting in a lowered chance of unsightly swirls. So keep your car well protected and it should surely help out.
    www.autolavish.com

Thread Information