Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: air compressor recommendations

Default air compressor recommendations

i need an air compressor. want it to be around $300 or less (more if worth it/need to). want to be able to run air hammers, decent impact, die grinders, etc. maybe even an average spray gun. prefer 110v. what does everyone recommend and from where? i would like it to be quite too if possible, my dads craftsmen is annoyingly loud (and doesnt work good at all for that matter).
    Jeff- MM Banner Guy
    http://makecarfast.com
    Play Supreme Deer Hunting
    2013 Hyundai Elantra - Black - short ram air
    2001 Silverado Z71 ext cab - 5.3l v8 4x4 Silver - vforce muffler, airaid intake

Quote Originally Posted by hourang View Post
    i need an air compressor. want it to be around $300 or less (more if worth it/need to). want to be able to run air hammers, decent impact, die grinders, etc. maybe even an average spray gun. prefer 110v. what does everyone recommend and from where? i would like it to be quite too if possible, my dads craftsmen is annoyingly loud (and doesnt work good at all for that matter).
    I doubt you will find a compressor meeting your requirements for less than $300. Spend a little more and get a good one and be happy with it.

Your dads is probably an oil-free 30 gallon unit. It is a basic model and will not keep up with tools. Do not get oil-free if you want quiet. I can have a conversation next to mine.

--Joe

Forum Member

Agree, but I will say that I have a Craftsman Professional (black) 30 Gallon upright, 2-stage and it's great. Much better than the entry level (red) Craftsman's and much quieter. I've run all the tools you've mentioned + framing nailers and oil/enamel spayer w/o issue. That said, if running HPLV is your main use, the smaller compressors aren't going to cut it.

What other things do you look for in a compressors? Looking to do the same stuff as the OP - no paint though.

Quote Originally Posted by soap View Post
    I doubt you will find a compressor meeting your requirements for less than $300. Spend a little more and get a good one and be happy with it.

Your dads is probably an oil-free 30 gallon unit. It is a basic model and will not keep up with tools. Do not get oil-free if you want quiet. I can have a conversation next to mine.

--Joe
    got a unit you recommend?
    Jeff- MM Banner Guy

Jeff- MM Banner Guy

Quote Originally Posted by hourang View Post
    A 15 gallon unit will not work for full time use items (like die grinders, DA's etc), you will constantly be stopping to let the compressor catch back up. Going back to your original post, $300 is a cheap unit, especially for a brand name like DeWalt. $700 is a joke for a 15 gallon unit.....you are just paying for the name.

If you go to Sears they have a chart that recommends the appropriate size and pressure compressor based on the tools you plan to use. I would start there first to figure out what size you need, then start pricing them.

here you go took 5 seconds to find on craigs

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/tls/2117753184.html

lapeer, yes the dragstrip sucks but its all we got

Quote Originally Posted by derbydad276 View Post
    here you go took 5 seconds to find on craigs

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/tls/2117753184.html
    i doubt that it runs on 110

Thread Information