Page 678 of 894 FirstFirst ... 178578628668674675676677678679680681682688728778 ... LastLast
Results 6,771 to 6,780 of 8931

Thread: Post a picture of your latest purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by kammi10 View Post
    scott buy another car... LOL no way

nice car buddy. looks good
    Ha. Thanks

Finally got around to building a new desktop. Kept me busy for a couple of hours, fired right up on the first try. OC'ed to 4.6GHz @ <70*C 100% load stress test for 96 hours. I actually stayed a lot further under my budget than I thought. Processor, memory and HDD prices keep falling...now if only GPU prices would fall.

Upgraded a few parts already lol. Specs as she sits:

Processor: Intel i7 6700K - overclocked to 4.6GHz
    Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero
    RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Elite 2666MHz
    Graphics: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 STRIX
    Capture: Avermedia Live Gamer HD 1080p
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 Gold Modular ATX
    CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Extreme Liquid CPU Cooler
    Case Cooling: 2 Corsair AF140 LED Fans - Purple, 2 Fractal stock 140mm fans
    Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed ATX
    HDD's: 1-Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (For OS), 2-WD Black 2TB, 2-Samsung 2TB
    Case Lighting: Logisys LED
    Windows 10 (this was a bad decision...should have stayed with Win7).
    Cold boot to logged in = 23 seconds

02 Mustang
    16 Charger

What's something like that cost? Is that like the best of the best right now?

It's not the best of the best...but its higher end. The graphics card is mid-range, I'm probably going to replace it with a GTX 1080 that comes out later this month. I chose it just as a filler for now.

The CPU is the latest from Intel. There are better ones, and Extreme editions, but they are like twice the cost, and I wasn't willing to dump that kind of money into a processor.

Basically I went with the best stuff for the price. There are probably people that will argue over that, but its like car parts, everyone thinks their shit is better. I built this for about $1800. I did have a few of the parts already though (couple of hard drives, CD, capture card). If you don't need high end graphics for gaming and 8.5TB of storage, you can build one for less. If you're not even gaming or processor heavy programs, I would probably go the i5 route.
    02 Mustang
    16 Charger

Forum Member

Did you mount the fan for your PSU facing down? I have the same one but the 750w version and I dont think the fan has ever come one in eco mode.

Yes, fan is mounted down. Mine is on a glass platform and the fan sucks in from the bottom and blows out the back. The rest is sealed.

02 Mustang
    16 Charger

Quote Originally Posted by 02GTVert View Post
    Yes, fan is mounted down. Mine is on a glass platform and the fan sucks in from the bottom and blows out the back. The rest is sealed.

Thanks for reminding me, I need to blow mine out with the air compressor. Anybody need some new gym socks? I'm planning on a new build later this year myself. Definitely going with a GTX 1080 and a 960GB+ SSD, probably 16GB of RAM. I will reuse my case and power supply (Corsair CX750M), as is tradition.
    Last edited by Tin; 05-11-2016 at 03:48 PM.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    Definitely going with a GTX 1080 and a 960GB+ SSD, probably 16GB of RAM. I will reuse my case and power supply (Corsair CX750M), as is tradition.
    I'm not completely convinced on the need for a 1TB SSD right now until they fall a bit more in price. Storing everything on a SSD kind of scares me a bit. Of course, if you backup regularly, it shouldn't really be a problem. I put the OS on a 500GB SSD, and use regular drives for storage. At least with a regular HDD, you usually get some warning before they bite the dust. Besides, with as low as the prices are right now for spinning HDD's, you're better off just going with those for storage.
    02 Mustang
    16 Charger

Quote Originally Posted by 02GTVert View Post
    I'm not completely convinced on the need for a 1TB SSD right now until they fall a bit more in price. Storing everything on a SSD kind of scares me a bit. Of course, if you backup regularly, it shouldn't really be a problem. I put the OS on a 500GB SSD, and use regular drives for storage. At least with a regular HDD, you usually get some warning before they bite the dust. Besides, with as low as the prices are right now for spinning HDD's, you're better off just going with those for storage.
    I have a NAS with 10 hard drives spinning away in the basement . I never keep anything on any of my systems. I'm using a 1TB hard drive for WIndows and a 128GB HyperX SSD for Debian as it is now. Prices have come down a great deal the last year or so.
    '16 Fiesta ST

1TB for Windows? Seems kind of overkill lol.
    02 Mustang
    16 Charger

Thread Information