Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding the coupe!

Quote Originally Posted by black88coupe View Post
    That’s awesome Joe. Where did you scale it?
    I got peoples

YES my shit is slow and NO you can't drive it!

Sweet

Did the wizard ever get back to you about that brain?????

Beautiful. Is this the car that would always wheelie at Milan in the radial class? Driver would carry the wheelie by feathering the WOT switch on the bottle??
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    10.85 @ 126mph

Thanks Denny. You may be thinking of Marty Merilatt's old blue car? It was fun to watch back in the day, but it got balled up real good finally.

That's the one...that dude was nuts!
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    10.85 @ 126mph

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP. View Post
    Yet to be determined, but it sure won't be light enough lol!
    SB NOS minimum weight for drag radial is now 2300 lbs w/driver, and there is NO WAY I'll be close to that. It weighed about 2815 lbs with me in it before, and I'm really not sure how much it weighs now. I didn't get nearly as serious as Johnny Quick did with his old coupe, but I'm hoping it sits around 2450-2500 lbs race ready. It has no carbon other than the new wing, and my SBF is chunky with the 200 lb Dart iron block, 30+ lb CHI cast intake, dry sump oiling, etc. I'm really just giving what I had a makeover.

Speaking of, HOLEY SEAT!
    I got carried away with the Greenlee knockout punch set and a 12 pack of Bud Light, but lost over 3.25 lbs from the Kirkey seat. It's still plenty solid when mounted in the cage. There's more in it, but I think I'll stop before I go too far. It will still have a cover snapped over it.

[IMG] 20180529_111436 by Joe Pinsoneault, on Flickr[url=[/IMG]
    Do you think this could be achieved with hole saws? I'm not sure what a Greenlee knockout punch is. Thanks.

I had the pleasure of hanging with Marty in his shop a few times. He was a riot to be around, good guy for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by camaromann View Post
    Do you think this could be achieved with hole saws? I'm not sure what a Greenlee knockout punch is. Thanks.
    Sure, holesaws would work but just need more time filing rough edges after the cut. The punches are 2 pieces tightened together with a threaded mandrel which punch a clean hole through the metal.
    Several of the smaller holes were drilled with a stepped uni-bit which also leaves cleaner edges.

Edit: after some thought, I bet the aluminum will load up in the teeth of a holesaw quickly, and you'll spend alot of time cleaning it out after every cut. This is some tough material, you may be better off finding a punch set to borrow.
    Last edited by JoeP.; 08-09-2018 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by red347lx View Post
    I had the pleasure of hanging with Marty in his shop a few times. He was a riot to be around, good guy for sure!
    Years ago Marty had a fully ported and polished super victor intake for sale on Milan's old board. I called him to verify what he had and that it was still available, then drove an hour down to his shop to buy it.
    When I got there he handed me a dirty super victor with only mild port matching done. I said that it's not what he described, and he says "oh, you want one like my buddy has" as he points to his friend there, who is tightening down a fully ported/polished intake on his engine with fresh silicone smeared all over... Hooked up his buddy before I got there, thanks alot.
    At least they offered me to help myself to a 12 pack of Bud Light they had sitting there, so I made sure I finished it off before leaving lol.

I found another 2.63 lbs by swapping out the 3" long rear wheel drive studs for 2", along with the 5/16" wheel spacers it took so the old lug nut spacers would tighten down on the thin wheel center.

[IMG]20180809_105215 by Joe Pinsoneault, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20180809_105233 by Joe Pinsoneault, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by JoeP.; 08-09-2018 at 10:11 AM.

Thread Information