Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1986 Mustang Torque Box Reinforcement

Default 1986 Mustang Torque Box Reinforcement

My question is how much reinforcement is enough. My car spent most of it's life as a race car in Virginia. The car had the frame tied, but nothing else, so needless to say, it had all the spot welds pulled out of the torque boxes and the floor is cracked in a variety of places.

Since, I have completly redone the car. It now has a 8 point rollbar and battle boxes in it and all the brackets and hangers under the car are welded. How much more reinforcement do I need to do? I need to keep the rear seat in the car for the kids. I see where they have added struts from the upper arm surface to the main hoop, but is that necessary for a drag radial car with under 500hp? I guess I need to know where to stop here.

Thanks

1986 Mustang GT 412W
    2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat

If Ya Ain't First, Your Last! "Ricky Bobby"

bump

1986 Mustang GT 412W

WOW! So 90 people have been on the tread, but nobody has any insight? Someone must have some ides of how to handle the reinforcement.

1986 Mustang GT 412W

Forum Member
    I think I have a Prius stuck in my intake.

Ive wondered this too. At what point do you need to go beyond just welding around the whole box, and add plate to strengthen them?

I have Wild Rides Battle Boxes in the car, but they tell you for added strength to run a bar from the reinforcement plate to the main hoop of the roll bar. But the question is when do you have to do that? What HP level is thet required? I guess it would be nice to see what others did to their's as well. I need to keep the rear seat in the car for my kids.

1986 Mustang GT 412W

Look in the project section. There are many cars in there to look and see how it is done.

I am not sure at what point or HP level it is needed. But when I ripped mine out I added the wild rides S-Box to mine. I had bars ran to it to strenghten it up. The Box is very thick compared to the factory material.

if your gonna take your time welding around the whole box just do torq boxes anyway i just fabed peices of metal that fix on the inside of the box's and on the floorpan of the car there simple and easy to make u dnt gotta spend money on the kid if u kno how to cut metal but ill rec doing this on any car with a sticky tire!

I don't know at what HP levels either but from the sounds of it I think your all set. I have just the stock boxes all welded up along with the rollbar supports and I'm in the single digits in the 1/4 without issues
    Mike
    86 Buick GN
    1988 Mustang 347 EFI
    Ice Nine Customs
    Grafik Intentions

Ooooo Back to school back to school I'm so cool

Overkill with torque boxes doesn't exist in my mind. I'd weld them all the way around while your in there, they make some bottom plates you can weld on that tie them into the sub frame alil better plus battle boxes. I'd fully weld it all, the plates the boxes and the battle boxes. I even welded the bolts to the plates and the nuts after i tightened in my old car then added upper bars as well just for the fuck of it. Then you don't have to worry about them ever.

I think where most of you have your problems with all of this, is the fact that you really don't fully understand the internal workings and dynamics of the common combustion engine. There is no magic tune up, and motors are stupid. The only time a motor will complain is when something is wrong.

Thread Information