Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: air compressor recommendations

or this one
    http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/tls/2111634744.html

you are not going to run a air hamer long on anything smaller

Smokin' cigarettes and watchin' Captain Kangaroo

Quote Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post
    Agree, but I will say that I have a Craftsman Professional (black) 30 Gallon upright, 2-stage and it's great. Much better than the entry level (red) Craftsman's and much quieter. I've run all the tools you've mentioned + framing nailers and oil/enamel spayer w/o issue. That said, if running HPLV is your main use, the smaller compressors aren't going to cut it.
    x2 on that. My buddy has one and it does a pretty good job keeping up with whatever he's doing. He doesn't paint though. If you ran that one with an auxiliary tank (junk 30+ gal compressor tank) it might keep up......
    I used to be 'with it'. Then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm 'with' isn't 'it', and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me.......

1948 Dodge B1 pickup

Ive got an extra 80gal tank if anyone is looking to add on with a res tank. I'll let her go cheap, lol.

id you need 110v like i did the lowes Kobalt 30 gallon is an awesome unit.. for around 430 though

looks like my parents bought me a 33 gallon craftsman for xmas. does 5.1 scfm at 90psi. should work fine, cant really complain since its free
    Jeff- MM Banner Guy
    http://makecarfast.com
    Play Supreme Deer Hunting
    2013 Hyundai Elantra - Black - short ram air
    2001 Silverado Z71 ext cab - 5.3l v8 4x4 Silver - vforce muffler, airaid intake

Official Motown Events Director Hugger Z's Avatar

I was always told the more cfm the compressor is rated for the better. Especially those air hammers, etc that use a lot of air to run. For example my 80 gal is 16.9 cfm @ 100psi. That should run anything. Yours may work for the tools you mentioned but it will probably be running a lot to keep up. That is all. Can't complain since it was a gift. Best of luck to ya Jeff! Merry Christmas!
    My Toys: Hugger Orange 1999 Z28 6-Spd Twin Turbo
    1937 Chevy Pick Up Extended Cab (1 of 1)
    Future Toy: Orange Ultima GTR or SLC...

Quote Originally Posted by Hugger Z View Post
    I was always told the more cfm the compressor is rated for the better. Especially those air hammers, etc that use a lot of air to run. For example my 80 gal is 16.9 cfm @ 100psi. That should run anything. Yours may work for the tools you mentioned but it will probably be running a lot to keep up. That is all. Can't complain since it was a gift. Best of luck to ya Jeff! Merry Christmas!
    thanks!
    Jeff- MM Banner Guy

now i just need room in my garage for it.... lol
    Jeff- MM Banner Guy

Forum Member

It'll be fine. Mine is rated 5.9 @ 90psi... does everything I mentioned above. I considered an 80 gallon before buying my smaller one... same concern, I just didn't want to give up the floor space in the garage. It's one thing if you're using it for work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week..... whole different thing for an occasional Saturday once per month. If it runs a little more keeping up, no big deal IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post
    It'll be fine. Mine is rated 5.9 @ 90psi... does everything I mentioned above. I considered an 80 gallon before buying my smaller one... same concern, I just didn't want to give up the floor space in the garage. It's one thing if you're using it for work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week..... whole different thing for an occasional Saturday once per month. If it runs a little more keeping up, no big deal IMO.
    yup! anymore im lucky to get time to work on my vehicles once a month.
    Jeff- MM Banner Guy

Thread Information