Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question regarding Rotary Cutting/Polishing Paint Correction

Default Question regarding Rotary Cutting/Polishing Paint Correction

Just recently picked up a Makita Rotary Polisher/Buffer and am wanting to learn how to properly use it and what products you would recommend for it IE: Polishes/Compounds and Pads. I used one before with a foam polishing pad to do some minor polishing or atleast attempt it, but whether I was doing it right I have no clue And as far as what products to use with them I'm only familiar with the 3M stuff. Any tips/recommendations and where to buy the stuff would be greatly appreciated!

Smokin' cigarettes and watchin' Captain Kangaroo

I'm no pro, but I like the 3M perfect-it line. If you're just polishing use the gray egg crate 3M foam pad and the 06064 polish. If it's a dark color you might have to go over it again with the light blue pad and the next step in compound. (I can't remember the number) If you wet sanded it or it's really bad, you might have to hit it with a wool pad, or the white egg crate foam pad and some 06085 rubbing compound. There's a lot of other products out there, I used some Norton liquid ice compound and liked it, and a buddy of mine uses Mirka. Most body supply shops have the stuff you need. Just stay away from the edges & corners.
    I used to be 'with it'. Then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm 'with' isn't 'it', and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me.......

1948 Dodge B1 pickup

My personal favorite combo right now is Meguiars 105 compound on a cutting pad followed by Wizards finish cut on a polish pad, Currently using some Vesco pads I got from our supplier at work they are pretty decent. They say you should always stick with one product brand for your compounds but this seems to be a killer combonation esp. on fresh paint. The 105 cuts quick and leaves a much better finish than the Wizards turbo cut, And the finish cut leaves a very deep shine that last much longer than any other compound I have used and its just about impossible to leave any wheel marks with it it seems opposed to the meg's 205.
    '00 Stage 2 Roush Mustang 2v Swap...
    '04 YFZ450- Turbo Stock Bore
    '04 Sierra 2500- CCSB LB7
    '01 Blazer- 5.3 Project/Garage decor

Twister Racing 2k13

Quote Originally Posted by slideways View Post
    My personal favorite combo right now is Meguiars 105 compound on a cutting pad followed by Wizards finish cut on a polish pad, Currently using some Vesco pads I got from our supplier at work they are pretty decent. They say you should always stick with one product brand for your compounds but this seems to be a killer combonation esp. on fresh paint. The 105 cuts quick and leaves a much better finish than the Wizards turbo cut, And the finish cut leaves a very deep shine that last much longer than any other compound I have used and its just about impossible to leave any wheel marks with it it seems opposed to the meg's 205.
    Do you use a wool pad to cut with or a foam pad?

Definitly stick with foam pad's. Wool pads are much more than you will ever need on todays paints. Unless you wanna swing by and help me buff my boat, Then definitly pick up a wool pad on your way

Twister Racing 2k13

fuckkk that! Thanks for the info though. I'm gonna have to try that setup

I like the wool pads, more forgiving in the tight corners. Atleast thats what I have expierenced. I tried a foam pad for compounding once. Maybe I need to try it again.

I use the 3m perfect it. Although I have been wanting to try the 105. Maybe I will next time around.

Quote Originally Posted by orangejuiced86 View Post
    I like the wool pads, more forgiving in the tight corners. Atleast thats what I have expierenced. I tried a foam pad for compounding once. Maybe I need to try it again.

I use the 3m perfect it. Although I have been wanting to try the 105. Maybe I will next time around.

I perferr the foam pads that had the beveled edge that overhangs the backing (9" pad on a 7" backer) That gives you some of the same effect. To me the wool pads just create more work than they are worth. Definitly give the 105 a shot, I can pretty much guarentee you will not want to go back to 3m. Other than maybe the price difference lol.

Twister Racing 2k13

Wool with heavy cutting compounds (think 3M extra cut) are still very useful when it comes to DA sanding marks or ultra-hard paints that have severe defects.

If you're looking at using your 9227 for more "typical" paint correction, I'd highly recommend sticking with foam pads and even investing in some (harder to find) 6.5'' or 5.5'' pads that'll give you better results as they're a lot easier to manage.

Meguiar's 105, 205, 3M Ultrafine Machine Polish, Menzerna Power Gloss, 203, Super Intensive Polish, Intensive Polish, 106fa, and 87 are all great polishes that work well. All have their highs and lows, and in the end it's how you use them and how many steps you're willing to do in order to get the right results. GL!
    AutoLavish Fine Automobile Care
    www.autolavish.com

Read our Professional Detailing Articles Here

Like / Follow us on Facebook!

Got a Detailing or car care question? Ask us here!

Yeah that is one thing I get spoiled with is I am working witht he exact same thing every time, Clear coat that is 1-2 days old buffing from 2000 grit wetsanding so I am up against the same thing every time, When you are working with older paint that has varing scratches and hardness of the clear coat then that changes alot.

Twister Racing 2k13

Thread Information