Thread: Need input for a newb painter

Default Need input for a newb painter

I'm looking to learn to paint on my DD truck. I just got a new bed for it and it needs some body work and a new paint job. I have a Craftsman Professional 25 gal air compressor the puts out 7.2 SCFM @ 40psi and 5.8 SCFM @ 90psi.

What gun should I buy? I was looking at the Devilbiss Starting line double gun kit they sell.

What are some good paint brands?

How many coats of base and how many coats of clear are suggested?

What's the best psi the spray at?

What kind of oil and water seperators should I get? Do I need one of those pancake filters right at the gun?

I want to do a two tone paint job on my truck, do I shoot the top or the bottom color first?

What tape is best for taping off and seperating the two colors?

I have two huge vent fans at each end of my garage near the peak that pull air up and out, can I use those for ventillation or should I leave them off and vent out the bottom of the garage door with some fans.

Sorry for so many questions.

Quote Originally Posted by glh_turbo22 View Post
    I'm looking to learn to paint on my DD truck. I just got a new bed for it and it needs some body work and a new paint job. I have a Craftsman Professional 25 gal air compressor the puts out 7.2 SCFM @ 40psi and 5.8 SCFM @ 90psi.

What gun should I buy? I was looking at the Devilbiss Starting line double gun kit they sell. that compressor may not be able to keep up with a spray gun

What are some good paint brands? Most paint are comparable. My choices would be PPG, Sherwin Williams, Dupont

How many coats of base and how many coats of clear are suggested? Base is sprayed to cover only the amount of coats depend on the color and the type of paint, same with the Clear. all manufactures of paint have tech sheets for there products

What's the best psi the spray at?See above ^

What kind of oil and water seperators should I get? Do I need one of those pancake filters right at the gun? It does not hurt to use the inline filters at the gun and the best economic filter for home use it The TP roll type

I want to do a two tone paint job on my truck, do I shoot the top or the bottom color first? Again Depending on the color you would want to apply the lighter color first

What tape is best for taping off and seperating the two colors?Blue fine line tape

I have two huge vent fans at each end of my garage near the peak that pull air up and out, can I use those for ventillation or should I leave them off and vent out the bottom of the garage door with some fans. Use only one of the fans if they can move enough air

Sorry for so many questions.
    Hows that

Thread Information