Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ford 8.8 Strength

Club Sponsor

The down side of the 8.8 is the lack of pro gears, the housing can be made to hold allot of power the R&P are the week link! Tuten had an 8.8 in his car when it went 7.02 @202, but he has a 9 inch in now, he couldn't 60' hard with the 8.8 or it would break or spin axle tubes, finaly the gear broke doing major damage to the car and sending the drive shaft through the floor and almost sticking him, Chris has a 9'' in it now and his slowest 60 foot has been a 1.17. if you have a heavy hard hooking car think 9 inch!
    "You didn't Build it" LMFAO isn't that what Oboma said too?

Sorry to dig up this thread, but just a few questions about the 8.8. Fastest I plan on going ever is mid 10's, 500 hp and I already have the case/clutches that are used on the 2013 GT500 and 31 spline axles running a M/T street tire....

-Is a girdle cover really needed or just a stocker?
    -Weld the tubes up or not?
    -C-Clip eliminators really needed for that power?

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by 89-LX View Post
    Sorry to dig up this thread, but just a few questions about the 8.8. Fastest I plan on going ever is mid 10's, 500 hp and I already have the case/clutches that are used on the 2013 GT500 and 31 spline axles running a M/T street tire....

-Is a girdle cover really needed or just a stocker? It's cheap insurance to take some stress off the caps......so why not.
    -Weld the tubes up or not? Yes
    -C-Clip eliminators really needed for that power? IMO, they they are not needed, but if you plan to race they are required.

Thanks guys.

--Joe

I debate WHY c-clip eliminators are needed. If you have a disc brake setup, I'd argue that's as effective as any eliminator, and stock bearings are more streetable. I'd be nice in NHRA made some sort of distiction for production disc brake cars..

As for girdle covers, there are low 11/ hi 10 second Impala SS's (4000+#) cars running without them reliably with 1.5-1.6 60'... If a 8.5 10-bolt is holding up, I'd think a 8.8 with bigger caps would be fine..

Is a full perimeter tube weld required, or will a few 2-3" stitches do it.. thinking about warpage..
    Mike
    99 Ultra Classic, 89 Softail, 67 Kaw 250

i'd have the tubes welded and some 9" ends welded on. c-clip eliminators are a pita....imo...

^what he said
    01 EXCURSION
    11 RUBICON black ops
    82 MUSTANG GT
    75 Porsche 914

Quote Originally Posted by Fryguy302 View Post
    For 1000hp the 8.8 will work all day long. 33 spline axles and a spool is all you will need. A cover/girdle would be nice also.
    agreed... that is my combo with the tubes welded by team z. 408 with spray 1000 hp. i killed a auburn pro and just put in a a spool. should of done that in the first place.

I won't be anywhere near that thought. At MOST, 500 HP.

Went low 10's on an 8.8 with 31 spline for years. I put C clip elims for sense piece of mind, but not necisarry. My c clips elims were never a pain in the ass, never leaked, but you do have to be more aware when taking a corner. You can't just Mario Andrette it! I had no welded tubes, not braces, no girdle cover and a FMS gear i set up in the garage myself. Mid to low 10's is nothing for a decently prepped 8.8. But like stated, look into the future. If you know you're going to be goin faster in the future, and are spending money, do it once, and do it right.
    90 Red Fox Notch factory short block on 175Sold
    02 GMC Sierra 2500 ECLB Passsing everything but a gas station
    98 Cavalier 2.2 rusty but trusty
    www.SKUNKRACING.net

Quote Originally Posted by 99slverZ View Post
    I will do actual slave labor for $25/hr. Literally I will wear a loin cloth and you can whip me for that kind of money.

Forum Member

I have a '97 GT and want to find what rear ends are a bolt in replacement. Is it only the 94-98 models that will work or can I use a newer rear end? I'm looking to use the whole rear end, axles, etc.

Thread Information