Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ford 8.8 Strength

Quote Originally Posted by mrvids View Post
    I have a '97 GT and want to find what rear ends are a bolt in replacement. Is it only the 94-98 models that will work or can I use a newer rear end? I'm looking to use the whole rear end, axles, etc.
    If you plan to reuse the whole thing then yes you need a 94-98, especially if you want to retain use of the ABS system.

--Joe

Forum Member

Thanks Joe. i found a good deal on a newer rear end but didn't want to alter a lot of things to make it work so I'll keep looking.

Ive been 8.20s for years at 3300 pnds with a built 8.8

For 1000hp the 8.8 will continue to perform all day lengthy. 33 spline axles and a reel is all you will need. A cover girdle would be awesome also.

For further information Call us: 61-414974062 Email And Address: info@sydneyelitelimo.com.au 28 Sunny Crescent, Punchbowl NSW 2196
    limousines for rent | limo rental sydney | sydney car rentals
    Last edited by Davidpatrick; 10-22-2015 at 05:37 AM.

Have fast have you guys gone with c clips?

I've always thought with disc brakes the bracket would stop the axle from coming out but then have been told it can bind up and basically act as a wheel stop and turn you whichever direction

Quote Originally Posted by 01snake View Post
    Have fast have you guys gone with c clips?
    I've been wondering the same thing. I know NHRA rules say anything faster than 10.99 needs C-clip eliminators, and disc brakes do not out as an axle retaining device, but every set up I keep finding is expensive. I'm looking to run in the mid-10's. Anyone run that fast with c-clips?

Quote Originally Posted by 5_Slow View Post
    I've been wondering the same thing. I know NHRA rules say anything faster than 10.99 needs C-clip eliminators, and disc brakes do not out as an axle retaining device, but every set up I keep finding is expensive. I'm looking to run in the mid-10's. Anyone run that fast with c-clips?
    I have run that fast with c-clip axles, and I know of others who have run a lot quicker.

--Joe

Quote Originally Posted by soap View Post
    I have run that fast with c-clip axles, and I know of others who have run a lot quicker.

--Joe
    Gotcha. Thanks for the advice. One more question.

How much power do you have to have before you need to worry about 31-spline axles? I just picked up an 8.8 today with 31-splines. I don't think I'll have a problem any time soon, but I'm just wondering to plan ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by 5_Slow View Post
    How much power do you have to have before you need to worry about 31-spline axles? I just picked up an 8.8 today with 31-splines.
    Power is mostly irrelevant, depends more on the type transmission, rear tire, how aggressive is the clutch (if manual) etc etc.

--Joe

I see what you mean. All different setups will cause different stresses. Any general guidelines on when to upgrade from 31's on an automatic car? My setup is going to be SBF, C4 (no brake) and probably ET Streets. Like I said, I think I'm fine for now, but I'd like an idea of when I'll need to start putting money into the axle. Any ideas?

Thread Information