Page 5 of 78 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: The ask Tin about audio thread

Which speakers are those? Are those the Insignia coaxials that were popular a few years back, or actual KEFs or something similar?

Yep, theyre the Insignias...very nice speaker for the money. Best Buy no longer carries them anymore, but when they did, they were easily the best speaker out for $100...and then some.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Yeah, I tried a pair out at the time but returned them. Sounded really good but seemed to be finicky about placement for bass response. Perfect for a desktop application though!

I wish they still sold them, Id have no trouble recommending them to people for something thats good and cheap. The way it stands now with the stuff thats out there, its really hard finding something decent unless one wants to spend the money. If you get something good that you really enjoy, itll be a one time purchase, and youll get many years of use out of em.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Awwww shit, looks like Heathkit is getting back in the audio biz. Alot of their older stuff is highly sought after these days. You know whos gonna get one once they become available . Their kits were usually much lower in price, and often better sounding than pre-built components from competing manufacturers at the time. This would be a good chance for some people to get into vacuum tubes. Their manuals are very well laid out, and make the assembly a snap.

http://www.heathkit.com/index.php?op...124&Itemid=243
    '16 Fiesta ST

I always wonder if these would make sweet cheap computer speakers, with a powered sub or course.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/ele/2759049315.html

or an NHT superzero pair.
    Last edited by 347convert; 12-21-2011 at 07:13 PM.

Id take the NHTs over the KLHs any day of the week. Those KLHs are nice, but not really vintage, theyre only about 10 years old. Lots of people like them, at $35 for the pair, its a risk well worth taking. Worst case scenario, you sell them and make your money back.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    Awwww shit, looks like Heathkit is getting back in the audio biz. Alot of their older stuff is highly sought after these days. You know whos gonna get one once they become available . Their kits were usually much lower in price, and often better sounding than pre-built components from competing manufacturers at the time. This would be a good chance for some people to get into vacuum tubes. Their manuals are very well laid out, and make the assembly a snap.

http://www.heathkit.com/index.php?op...124&Itemid=243
    Been wanting one of these for years. Hopefully they re-release the kit:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/62

Looks like theyre doing amateur radio kits again too, your wish may come true. Theyre open to suggestions, put one in the box and see what happens
    '16 Fiesta ST

I think its time for an update on my new digital to analog converter, the Benchmark DAC1. I normally dont like to post impressions on things when I first get them, as I like to let the wow factor wear off first. Me, as well as others, have been had by the initial wow factor of something, then find a few weeks down the road it isnt all it was cracked up to be. I'll say, this new DAC is awesome. The sound is so rich and clear, its as if you could reach out and touch it with your fingers. Its nice when you listen to something and hear nuances that you didnt know where there before. It has perfect synergy with my amp, really pushing the envelope as far as having a live band in your living room. The best part about it, Im down to one component in my system that isnt American made. My Electro Voice drivers were made right here in Buchanan, MI, the cabinets in Marina del Ray, CA, amp built by me of course, and the DAC was built in New York. That leaves my Squeezebox Duet as the only piece of Chinese in the whole rig. Its a great mix of old and new. 1930's vacuum tube technology with efficient horn speakers, being fed by a new state of the art DAC. Doesnt get much better than that folks. Ive listened to stereo systems costing upwards of $50,000, and this will hang right with em, and then some.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Thread Information