Page 75 of 78 FirstFirst ... 25657172737475767778 LastLast

Thread: The ask Tin about audio thread

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    Ended up ordering an Oppo, too, BTW. It turns out Oppo is the ONLY Player to include decoded pre-outs for 7.1 surround sound, as well as balanced out for 2-channel. Plus it has a crap ton of cool stuff built in. That saves me from putting a separate decoder in the system, and will plug directly into the 6-Channel Rotel amp I bought from salvation army for $20 to run surround speakers. I thought the Oppo was steep when you first suggested it, now I think it is a deal. Thank you for the tip!

-Geoff
    Which one did you get? I've got a 105D and a 205. I was quite happy with the 105D and actually prefer the menu's etc... but the DAC and 4K capability of the 205 is well worth it...

Quote Originally Posted by yonson View Post
    Which one did you get? I've got a 105D and a 205. I was quite happy with the 105D and actually prefer the menu's etc... but the DAC and 4K capability of the 205 is well worth it...
    I got the 205 (well, I ordered it at least). I liked the DAC with with digital coax and optical input, and I liked that it had 2 channel balanced XLR audio out which will be useful if I switch from a receiver which I have now to an analog pre-amp for 2 channel. If I end up wanting more power for the maggies having a receiver is pretty pointless anyways. all my digital can run through here including a bluetooth adapter. Plus I can run multiple outputs of this unit into my receiver depending on if I am watching a movie or listening to music, plus keep the surround channels separate. It seemed like a pretty complete package.

They must be pretty good if you have both! Are you just running multiple setups with them?

-Geoff
    Last edited by WhiteHawk; 01-21-2018 at 12:16 AM.
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    I got the 205 (well, I ordered it at least). I liked the DAC with with digital coax and optical input, and I liked that it had 2 channel balanced XLR audio out which will be useful if I switch from a receiver which I have now to an analog pre-amp for 2 channel. If I end up wanting more power for the maggies having a receiver is pretty pointless anyways. all my digital can run through here including a bluetooth adapter. Plus I can run multiple outputs of this unit into my receiver depending on if I am watching a movie or listening to music, plus keep the surround channels separate. It seemed like a pretty complete package.

They must be pretty good if you have both! Are you just running multiple setups with them?

-Geoff
    I bought the 105D a couple years ago because I needed a good source with balanced out, I mostly use it for 2 channel stereo, but occasionally for watching movies, I have a separate PRE/PRO that is balanced in/out going to the amps. I have a 4K TV so once the 205 was announced I got in on the pre-order for it so that I could actually watch 4K content and was quite happy with the updated DAC in the 205. The 105D will be the source for the system in my shop once I get time to finish setting it up...

I think there is something wrong with me. I saw this ad on Craigslist. I absolutely, 100%, do NOT need this amp. But I still want to buy it. Does anyone ever experience this? Maybe we can get a support group or something.

-Geoff

amp.jpg

Hmm I should list my XPA5 Gen 2 since it's just collecting dust...

So Oppo is shutting down. Their home page says they are going to be supporting for a while, but no new products. Better get them before they are gone! I love my 205, doing the surround sound straight out of the DVD to a 3 channel amp. It is pretty awesome.

-Geoff

I am looking to build a home theater subwoofer. My Velodyne ULD-12 amp finally died and I thought to replace the amp but Velodyne doesn't have a way to repair and nobody local will touch it.

So here is what I am looking, I got a 500w plate subwoofer amplifier, it is 500 at 4ohm but is 2ohm stable. I found a prefabricated dual 8" 4ohm dvc vented loaded enclosure that is rated 700rms but prewired to 1ohm. I will rewire to 4ohms but should I find the subs in a 2ohm dvc and run more power to them? For the amp, subs and box I will be at $400. Is there a better option for the price?

The reason I am looking at dual 8s is just the low profile box. Should I go with a single larger sub instead? It will be for movies, music and gaming.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by H.O. Driver View Post
    I am looking to build a home theater subwoofer. My Velodyne ULD-12 amp finally died and I thought to replace the amp but Velodyne doesn't have a way to repair and nobody local will touch it.

So here is what I am looking, I got a 500w plate subwoofer amplifier, it is 500 at 4ohm but is 2ohm stable. I found a prefabricated dual 8" 4ohm dvc vented loaded enclosure that is rated 700rms but prewired to 1ohm. I will rewire to 4ohms but should I find the subs in a 2ohm dvc and run more power to them? For the amp, subs and box I will be at $400. Is there a better option for the price?

The reason I am looking at dual 8s is just the low profile box. Should I go with a single larger sub instead? It will be for movies, music and gaming.

Seems like you are in the range of something that is already put together for $400.

- This REL is $699 but goes on sale all the time for $599 (this is what I paid and run, sounds awesome with movies or music). https://rel.net/shop/powered-subwoof...ie-ht/ht-1205/
    - Klipsch has their SPL subs on sale too. https://www.klipsch.com/spl-subwoofers

-Geoff

Since you said "build" look at GR-Research:
    https://www.gr-research.com/diy-subwooofer-kits.html

Also two is always better than one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblestrip View Post
    Since you said "build" look at GR-Research:
    https://www.gr-research.com/diy-subwooofer-kits.html

Also two is always better than one.
    That was my logic, 16" of woofer in a 11" tall box .. I have read building is cheaper and gets a better result. The Velodyne rep said they would take $500 off a new sub for me since I was a loyal customer. However I would be in the $1000 range for a single 12".

Thread Information