Page 71 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2161676869707172737475 ... LastLast

Thread: The ask Tin about audio thread

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    How about this Mac system. Worth it? Or is it a project system. Seems to be a pretty good price.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/e...371947463.html

-Geoff
    It's nice and the MC2505 is pretty damn reliable. It's one of the first solid state amps made by McIntosh. I'm not too sure about the speakers though, as McIntosh weren't really well known for their speakers. If you're shopping 'stats, you'll want 200WPC or better. The MC2505 is 70WPC IIRC.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by 347convert View Post
    My friend actually does this... does installs, pa sytems all that jazz
    Can you provide company name/contact info? Thanks.
    I never wanted to get married, I got married. Never wanted kids, I have 2 of them. Why the hell am I here?

Quote Originally Posted by Krazybones View Post
    Geoff - there are these being sold locally asking $1100
    https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/e...318005382.html
    I am going to look at these tomorrow. Any suggestions? He says he will hook them up to a home theater receiver for me to hear. He was using them in a 5 channel surround setup and already sold the fancy center speaker. He also said he is the original owner and that he has owned them for seven years. Is the price fair? They were $2000 new, I was going to offer him $1000 since I always value used at half new. He said he has the super expensive cables too, so maybe $1100 with those.

Thank you.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

I am going to look at these tomorrow. Any suggestions? He says he will hook them up to a home theater receiver for me to hear. He was using them in a 5 channel surround setup and already sold the fancy center speaker. He also said he is the original owner and that he has owned them for seven years. Is the price fair? They were $2000 new, I was going to offer him $1000 since I always value used at half new. He said he has the super expensive cables too, so maybe $1100 with those.

Thank you.

-Geoff
    I have never heard these speakers personally so I cannot say much. Like Tin said you will need plenty of power to drive them.
    ****MATT*****

Quote Originally Posted by Krazybones View Post
    I have never heard these speakers personally so I cannot say much. Like Tin said you will need plenty of power to drive them.
    Yea, definitely shopping for Amps next. Not going to go easy on them.

-Geoff

Thank you.

-Geoff
    $1000 would be a good offer for those. You don't have to worry about speaker cables. As long as they're made of copper of sufficient thickness, you'll be good. I use the CL2 stuff in the PVC jacket from Monoprice, it's pretty good. Terminate the ends with your connector of choice, usually bananas or spades. You'll see a very large amount of cable debates out there, and it often pits the audiophiles against the engineers that design audio equipment. Some cables, like RCAs will make some difference, but it has more to do with shielding stopping unwanted interference than it does some magic conductor making the music sound better.
    '16 Fiesta ST

same speakers are all over ebay at 800 or less last set local was 539.00 and didnt sell , huge items like that that arent easy to ship really have a low resale value
    To me, it's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, "Hey, can you give me a hand?" You can say, "Sorry, got these sacks."

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    I love me some Dynacos, one of my all time favorites. You can get the correct replacement parts from Madisound. Seas still makes the woofer and tweeter 50 years later.
    I found one over there, but they said it wouldn't fit the A25's. On top of that I would still need to find someone to go through them to make sure they are in good shape. If you know of anyone let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by moneypit View Post
    same speakers are all over ebay at 800 or less last set local was 539.00 and didnt sell , huge items like that that arent easy to ship really have a low resale value
    Thanks for the tip. Maybe I can get them cheaper. I would be extra happy at $800. It is a bonus getting them from the original owner, though, since I am already nervous about getting used speakers.

-Geoff

Thanks for the tip. Maybe I can get them cheaper. I would be extra happy at $800. It is a bonus getting them from the original owner, though, since I am already nervous about getting used speakers.

-Geoff
    No worries with buying used speakers. Most of the ones I've bought over the years were used. As long as the owner doesn't have careless children that like to push on dust caps or play them with a clipping amplifier, all is well.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Thread Information