Page 76 of 78 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778 LastLast

Thread: The ask Tin about audio thread

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    Seems like you are in the range of something that is already put together for $400.

- This REL is $699 but goes on sale all the time for $599 (this is what I paid and run, sounds awesome with movies or music). https://rel.net/shop/powered-subwoof...ie-ht/ht-1205/
    - Klipsch has their SPL subs on sale too. https://www.klipsch.com/spl-subwoofers

-Geoff
    Those look tempting, I will have to see if I can find one local to listen to.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Forum Member

Last edited by Killjoy; 12-29-2020 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post
    If this is for your LR and home theater duty, yes, I would go with a larger diameter woofer. But you're talking to someone with an 18" in his LR disguised as an end table.
    I would love to do that but already have two end tables. I would love to go with a 15 or larger but that's why the two 8s caught my eyes, smaller box but able to compete with a 15 for sound. My wife complained the 12 was too big, so I am trying to compromise.

Forum Member

If this is for your Living Room and Home Theater duties, I'd favor stepping up to a larger driver. But this is coming from someone with an 18" disguised as an end table in his LR.

(2) 8" drivers have the cone area (surface area) of less than a single 12". A single 18" has 10x the surface area of an 8" driver. Dual 8's is equivalent to a single ~11". Not only would a larger driver move more air, but also likely offers a lower FR. Obviously size and cost some into play.

Tin! Where have you been?
    SAL

Quote Originally Posted by Wizeguy View Post
    Tin! Where have you been?
    Married now...
    ****MATT*****

Quote Originally Posted by Krazybones View Post
    Married now...
    Ah... THATS why I don't hear from him anymore
    SAL

Klipsch has some insane deals on entry level subwoofers right now - $199 for a 12" with 400 watts peak amp (~200 RMS). Not in the same class as Rel, IMO, but pretty good value. Around 18" cube size wise.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
    Klipsch has some insane deals on entry level subwoofers right now - $199 for a 12" with 400 watts peak amp (~200 RMS). Not in the same class as Rel, IMO, but pretty good value. Around 18" cube size wise.

-Geoff
    Good to know, I got a buddy who thinks he can fix the amp on my Velodyne. So he is doing that, might pick up a klipsch for that price and run dual 12s for now

Quote Originally Posted by H.O. Driver View Post
    I am looking to build a home theater subwoofer. My Velodyne ULD-12 amp finally died and I thought to replace the amp but Velodyne doesn't have a way to repair and nobody local will touch it.

So here is what I am looking, I got a 500w plate subwoofer amplifier, it is 500 at 4ohm but is 2ohm stable. I found a prefabricated dual 8" 4ohm dvc vented loaded enclosure that is rated 700rms but prewired to 1ohm. I will rewire to 4ohms but should I find the subs in a 2ohm dvc and run more power to them? For the amp, subs and box I will be at $400. Is there a better option for the price?

The reason I am looking at dual 8s is just the low profile box. Should I go with a single larger sub instead? It will be for movies, music and gaming.

I had my Velodyne fixed by Parlophone in Bloomfield Hills.
    I cant find it anymore. When did they close ?
    https://renegaderacefuel.com/

Thread Information