Page 11 of 78 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: The ask Tin about audio thread

Quote Originally Posted by suggtt48116 View Post
    hey Tin any experience with B&W speakers? I have a pair of DM 602's that I've had for about 15 years and really like them.
    Keep em, theyre pretty damn good. Are they the floorstanders or the larger bookshelf speakers? Either way, nice speakers.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    Keep em, theyre pretty damn good. Are they the floorstanders or the larger bookshelf speakers? Either way, nice speakers.
    they are the large bookshelf one's. Thanks for your opinion.

hey Tin any experience with B&W speakers? I have a pair of DM 602's that I've had for about 15 years and really like them.
    Ignore Tin, Those things blow! I'll buy um right now, what do you have to get for um.... $100? $200? LOL

I love B&Ws. They have a nice rich sound. One of my favorites is Zeppelin's "All My Love".

Somebody please tell me they grabbed a pair of these
    http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/ele/2848451002.html

This is the Altec Lansing I know, the rest of you know them as making cute computer speakers. Those appear to be Model 19s. Ive seen them go for far over $1000 per pair.

Heres some on eBay.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALTEC-LANSIN...ht_1790wt_1398
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Altec-Model-...#ht_500wt_1413
    Last edited by Tin; 02-14-2012 at 04:40 AM.
    '16 Fiesta ST

So I went and picked it up, the cabinent itself is in great shape, but the electronics and speakers have got to go!

What kinda guts are in that console? Dont be so quick to discard the drivers...some of em are pretty good.
    '16 Fiesta ST

What is the difference between watts from an amp, and watts from a reciever? I've been doing a lot testing and for some reason anything with a legit amp sounds like the real deal. I also noticed in a car the 50x4 head unit is a joke compaired to a 50x4 external amp..... what's the deal?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 347convert View Post
    What is the difference between watts from an amp, and watts from a reciever? I've been doing a lot testing and for some reason anything with a legit amp sounds like the real deal. I also noticed in a car the 50x4 head unit is a joke compaired to a 50x4 external amp..... what's the deal?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    Watts is watts, but the circuit topology and components in it ultimately decide how the amp will sound. Usually, separates have more grunt than integrated amps/receivers because they have less components and better power supplies. Your typical mid/high end amp will be a more discreet circuit, with minimal ICs (chips aka integrated circuits) and a shorter signal path. On top of that, the power supply only has to regulate a minimal number of components, so the power available to the transistors or tubes will be cleaner with less ripple. When you add other things in the same chassis, such as a preamp (for an integrated amp) and/or tuner (for a receiver), more components draw from the power supply which inherently introduces distortion to the final signal. This is one reason why so many like vintage receivers, the power supplies in them are way overbuilt. They dont introduce any crap because of shoddy power supplies. Fast forward to a modern Denon, Pioneer, Sony, or Onkyo...the power supply causes excess noise because of everything utilizing it. This will somewhat correlate with the THD rating. If you notice, most of the garbage I just mentioned have their THD ratings measured at 1W. Back before the 1980s, THD was generally measured at full rated output. Today, the GOOD manufacturers still rate their stuff at full output. Marantz, Bryson, Rega, Musical Fidelity, McIntosh, NAD, Cambridge, etc all rate their components at its full output. Sure, that shiny new $1000 Denon may be 0.001% THD at 1W, but a new Marantz is rated that at 100x the output power. Thus, the end result will be a cleaner, more refined sound.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Thread Information