Page 12 of 78 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: The ask Tin about audio thread

Looking for opinions on the Klipsch 5.5's from anyone that knows about them. Frequency response looks stellar and they seem solid, but they also seem to be a little less sought after than the 4's.

Also, what should I look out for in the event a cone in partially dented in. Does this seriously affect anything to the point a used pair of speakers should be avoided at all costs? Thanks!
    AutoLavish Fine Automobile Care
    www.autolavish.com

Read our Professional Detailing Articles Here

Like / Follow us on Facebook!

Got a Detailing or car care question? Ask us here!

Forum Member

I don't think you have anything to be afraid of. If they are original and in good shape for your requirement, I would snag them. The dustcap being pushed in should not have any effect on the sound. Usually you can pop it back out with a vacuum cleaner, although I have not done it, nor tried on mine and they sound fine. Make sure that there is no air leak from the driver, or by pushing the woofer try to feel for air around the dustcap. No leaks and it should be fine.

You can fix the dustcap with a shop vac, or you can carefully stick a safety pin in it, and gently pry the dent. Seal the hole with a small spot of silicone sealant. Personally, Id go the shop vac route, as the glue holding the dustcap on is quite strong, and itll maintain its clean look. Like was said above, the dented dustcap shouldnt affect the sound. Afterall, the dustcap in itself isnt a transducer. Its there to keep the voice coil free of debris. The cone is the only part that radiates sound. Ive never heard KG 5.5s, but I have no doubt theyre very nice speakers. The only larger Klipsch I dont care for is the Heresy, its way too light in the low end.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Default More EVs on the way.

One of the people on an audio forum I frequent got a smoking deal on a console stereo with all McIntosh components anda pair of Electro Voice 12TRX coaxial speakers. Right now, I have the 12TRXB, which is similar, but has a smaller ferrite magnet and a T350 horn tweeter. The 12TRX on the other hand, has a much larger and stronger alnico (aluminum/nickel/cobalt) magnet, as well as a T35 tweeter. The 12TRX is a very rare speaker, not many come up for sale, and when they do, they usually go for $200 to $400 each depending on the market. Not only does it have a better magnet and tweeter, but they also use an external crossover, which is good because I plan on grabbing 8HD mid-horns with T25A compression drivers. After all the parts are acquired, Im going to assemble brand new crossovers, and be off and running. I wasnt looking for another pair of drivers, but the guy gave me a price I couldnt refuse.

12TRX back

12TRX front

8HD diffraction horn w/ T25A compression driver
    '16 Fiesta ST

Here is a question for you, My and a buddy bought a 28' enclosed trailer that we are building living quarters in the first 12' of. Looking to put a good audio system in it on 12v power. Trailer will have tv, dish network, and an xbox so I need to set up something that will work good for all of this and still be able to get down when we got the jams on. Would also like to incorporate the ability to have 2 speakers that can either be hooked up outside or moved outside for when we are not in the trailer. AND GO! lol
    '00 Stage 2 Roush Mustang 2v Swap...
    '04 YFZ450- Turbo Stock Bore
    '04 Sierra 2500- CCSB LB7
    '01 Blazer- 5.3 Project/Garage decor

Twister Racing 2k13

Since you plan on running a few sources (Xbox, TV, etc), youre going to need an integrated amp, but they dont make any on the home side that could be modified to work with 12V without extensive modification. Your best bet would be a car head unit, but you may also have to run car speakers for that, since car stereos dont have terminals for bare speaker wire. Have a look over at mp3car.com, they should have something there for you. I wont lie, this is foreign territory to me.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Thats about the normal asking price for KG4s. For that money, Id rather have these http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/ele/2905729052.html
    '16 Fiesta ST

Forum Member

Those KG4's look to have seen better days... Especially for $250.

Quote Originally Posted by sofa king View Post
    Those KG4's look to have seen better days... Especially for $250.
    Yeah thats what I thought as well. Looks like the veneer is very dry. On the bright side, the cabs look easy to restore. I always used Restore-a-Finish and Feed 'n Wax on cabinets and furniture with dry wood...brings em right back to life.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Thread Information