Page 13 of 78 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: The ask Tin about audio thread

Heres a bargain. Pair of Advents for $20 that need to be refoamed. http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/ele/2932536927.html The replacement foams are usually $15 to $25 per pair.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Just sent an email, hope they're still available!

Heres the foams youll need. http://www.wooferrepair.com/advent.html Very easy job, but a bit tedious.

1) Use your fingers to break away and tear off as much as the old foam as possible.
    2) Take some acetone to the woofer baskets and remove the old glue. I use a popsicle stick to get the glue removal started, then you can roll it with your thumb.
    3) Lightly sand the cone to remove old foam and glue residue. It doesnt need to be perfect, but the more you remove, the merrier.
    4) Apply a bead of glue around the edge of the cone and attach new foam. Let sit for ~1 hour.
    5) Apply a bead of glue to the woofer frame and attach foam.
    6) Lightly exercise the cone back and forth, make sure you press in from around the dustcap. This centers the voice coil in the magnet. Repeat this process every 10 minutes a couple of times.
    7) Enjoy your new speakers. The woofer foams may take a few weeks to break in. When they do, the bass will dig deeper, as the foam has stretched to match the excursion of the woofer.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Thanks! I hope they haven't already sold and the guy lets me put a deposit on them since I can't get out there until tomorrow at the soonest. I've been looking for a reasonably priced set of these for a while now since you recommended them for me earlier in this thread. If I can get a great set of garage speakers out of these for under $50 I'll be a happy camper.

Theyll be worth more than $50 too. Those cabinets look to be in exceptional shape. Refoamed, theyd be worth somewhere between $100 and $200. I know its a big spread on the value, but the condition of the cabinets is the determining factor. Definitely hit the cabinets with a few coats of Howards Restor A Finish. http://www.homedepot.com/buy/paint/i...rer-55136.html After that, hit them with Howards Feed 'n Wax. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051 I use those things on any speakers I get, as well as antique furniture, gives em a nice deep shine and colors in any scratches there may be.
    Last edited by Tin; 03-31-2012 at 03:42 PM.
    '16 Fiesta ST

After the Howard's Restor-a-Finish, could I use any carnauba wax on this finish? I have some rather nice waxes that I'd love to try out on my Klipsch's
    AutoLavish Fine Automobile Care
    www.autolavish.com

Read our Professional Detailing Articles Here

Like / Follow us on Facebook!

Got a Detailing or car care question? Ask us here!

Use the Feed n Wax, as it has oils in it specifically to keep the veneer from drying out. I wouldnt think pure carnuba would cause any harm, as its also in the Howards.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    Use the Feed n Wax, as it has oils in it specifically to keep the veneer from drying out. I wouldnt think pure carnuba would cause any harm, as its also in the Howards.
    Gotcha. Feed N Wax, then whatever I want after.
    AutoLavish Fine Automobile Care
    www.autolavish.com

Read our Professional Detailing Articles Here

Like / Follow us on Facebook!

Got a Detailing or car care question? Ask us here!

Geez, you're making me feel guilty about using them in the garage now. Any ideas for something to cover the cabinets with that'll protect them so they hold their value? They shouldn't get banged around but my garage isn't one of those that is as clean as my living room...

Well, I managed to score them. And they're pretty nice. Really wish they weren't fated to the garage.

Thread Information