Page 14 of 78 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: The ask Tin about audio thread

Maybe you can make some room in the house for them. The Large Advent is a rather legendary speaker, something like 1.5 million of them were sold during their time on the market. Its one of the best selling speakers, ever. They have a nice laid back sound, very easy to listen to, and work well with damn near any music. Id give them some power, being only 85dB 1W/m, youre gonna need some juice. 100W or better would be ideal, as theyll need the headroom.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Problem is that I live in a condo and am very much volume limited. I wanted speakers for my shop (which isn't at the condo and thus no volume concerns) and these fit the bill perfect for what I want, hence why you recommended them in the first place. I would try to keep these for at home, but what other garage speakers could I find that have the same characteristics for less than $50? Or even $100? I'm certainly open to suggestions. I didn't expect to find a pair this nice. They're not 10/10, but I'd say they're definitely 8-9/10 especially considering their age, and I'm picky.
    Last edited by Birdie2000; 04-01-2012 at 08:26 PM.

Caught another one . This is a single-ended EL84 console pull built by Kegger, a very highly regarded local tube tech. People far and wide send him their stuff so he can work his magic, and magic it is. I couldnt pass it up, as it wouldve cost me more in parts for what he charged me for it. Its all of his own circuit design, the only things reused being the chassis and transformers. It puts out about 5W per channel, but its 5 glorious watts. I can easily use this as my daily driver, but itll probably make its way into the living room and drive my larger Klipsch bookshelves. Dont let its small size and puny transformers fool you, its a firebreather.

'16 Fiesta ST

I need to hear some nice speakers powered by a tube amp.

Tin, I noticed in your re-foam instructions above you don't mention replacing the dust cap and shimming, etc. Do I still need to do that or do you recommend leaving that alone? I'm trying to figure out which size dustcap I need to order as it's hard to measure accurately and none of their available sizes seem to be what is already on there.

The magnet and voice coil have a very loose tolerance, so shims generally arent needed. I havent had to remove the dustcap to refoam Advents. On drivers with a tighter voice coil/magnet tolerance, theyre necessary. What I posted above will center the voice coil.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Sweet, the dustcap removal and reinstallation is the only thing I was remotely worried about when doing this. Does the woofer need to be removed from the cabinet for this or can it be done still mounted?

Remove it from the cabinet, itll make it far easier. Besides, you dont want any of that crap to get in there. Another thing to do, since you will have the woofers out, is to replace the acoustic foam with fiberglass insulation. This is my go to stuff: http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Ma...&storeId=10051 Its dirt cheap, and works very well. The dampening properties of fiberglass are superior to that of foam. Pack it in there loosely, if its too tight the bass response will suffer. The fiberglass absorbs standing waves in the cabinet, making the it resonate less...cleans up the bass good.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Whats your thoughts on these? Might try to go pick them up this weekend if they are available?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/for/2926863462.html
    '00 Stage 2 Roush Mustang 2v Swap...
    '04 YFZ450- Turbo Stock Bore
    '04 Sierra 2500- CCSB LB7
    '01 Blazer- 5.3 Project/Garage decor

Twister Racing 2k13

Rega RP-1, Thoughts?

I just missed out on a pioneer pl-560 for $70. Thats kinda what I wanted to spend anyway, But if the rega is a whole nother world I'll spend the loot. I want to buy a nicer turntable for my girls bday as stated in another thread. Any suggestions on what table to keep an eye out for?

Thread Information