Page 2 of 78 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: The ask Tin about audio thread

Heres a bargain for anybody looking. http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/ele/2714861090.html

Here they are, brand new right at the Klipsch website. http://www.klipsch.com/la-scala-ii-f...anding-speaker

Hmmm...would you rather drop $550 or $7000?
    '16 Fiesta ST

Dear jesus that's a steal!

Definitely a bargain. Those arent the La Scala II like I showed on the Klipsch website, they are the original La Scala, which was sold in raw birch ply or painted black. The original was discontinued in 2005, but they were still $7000/pair new at that time. That speaker was relatively unchanged since its debut in 1963. Theyre very efficient...105dB 1W/m. So, sitting one meter away with 1W of input power, the sound pressure level will be 105dB....about twice as loud as a jackhammer .
    '16 Fiesta ST

We had talked before awhile back about a set of floor speakers and you sent me a few CL ads. I don't rember what they were however, I actually have some disposable money now to pick up some new speakers. Setup right now is a Harmon-Kardon 5.1 500watt reciever with 2 mtx thunder pro 2's. I want to move the MTX's are going to get moved out into the garage and would like to find something with a little more power and low end for in the house. What do you reccomend? And do you think the mtx's would be a good speaker for a garage application with very little to absorb any sound from them?
    '00 Stage 2 Roush Mustang 2v Swap...
    '04 YFZ450- Turbo Stock Bore
    '04 Sierra 2500- CCSB LB7
    '01 Blazer- 5.3 Project/Garage decor

Twister Racing 2k13

Thoughts on a soundbar setup for a space-consious room? Any suggestions?

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    Heres a bargain for anybody looking. http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/ele/2714861090.html

Here they are, brand new right at the Klipsch website. http://www.klipsch.com/la-scala-ii-f...anding-speaker

Hmmm...would you rather drop $550 or $7000?
    Damn....that blows my deal on the Klipsch Chorus I's out of the water!
    -Joe
    2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LTZ
    1961 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

Official Motown Events Director Hugger Z's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
    Thoughts on a soundbar setup for a space-consious room? Any suggestions?
    I just picked up a Definitive Technology Mythos SSA-42 refurbished from Amazon and am amazed by how well it sounds. I have the full surround set-up in my man cave but couldn't fit something similar upstairs and this really fit the bill. The speaker still has 5 inputs on the back so your receiver is still working in full surround mode and it does a great job of creating the surround effect.

I paired the soundbar with a Definitive Technology Supercube II subwoofer and always get that stupid grin on my face when watching a movie and you can totally feel the fill it creates. I have the same sub downstairs and loved it. I got lucky and found both as demo's so saved a ton of $$ on them.

I use the soundbar & sub in an open living room, dining room, kitchen area of the house. When sitting on the couch watching movies it sounds great and has fooled me a few times into thinking I had the full set-up like I do downstairs. As with anything I recommend listening to what you are considering. I sampled so many subwoofers when I first settled on the Supercube II with my main set-up. So when another recently became available at a Best Buy Magnolia center I jumped on it and nabbed the soundbar from Amazon for my upstairs living room. I probably have 1/4 of the MSRP's invested in the system. So shop around and hopfully you can find some deals.
    My Toys: Hugger Orange 1999 Z28 6-Spd Twin Turbo
    1937 Chevy Pick Up Extended Cab (1 of 1)
    Future Toy: Orange Ultima GTR or SLC...

What old-school speakers would you recommend for garage use that can be found cheap at garage sales/craigslist? Something warm, not too critical, good amount of low-end, basically speakers that anything sounds good on. I've heard a lot of people speak about old Cerwin Vegas and Jensens for this purpose. Any brands/models you'd recommend? Preferably something with a 8-10" woofer as a 12-15" might be too big for the space I have to put them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugger Z View Post
    I just picked up a Definitive Technology Mythos SSA-42 refurbished from Amazon and am amazed by how well it sounds. I have the full surround set-up in my man cave but couldn't fit something similar upstairs and this really fit the bill. The speaker still has 5 inputs on the back so your receiver is still working in full surround mode and it does a great job of creating the surround effect.

I paired the soundbar with a Definitive Technology Supercube II subwoofer and always get that stupid grin on my face when watching a movie and you can totally feel the fill it creates. I have the same sub downstairs and loved it. I got lucky and found both as demo's so saved a ton of $$ on them.

I use the soundbar & sub in an open living room, dining room, kitchen area of the house. When sitting on the couch watching movies it sounds great and has fooled me a few times into thinking I had the full set-up like I do downstairs. As with anything I recommend listening to what you are considering. I sampled so many subwoofers when I first settled on the Supercube II with my main set-up. So when another recently became available at a Best Buy Magnolia center I jumped on it and nabbed the soundbar from Amazon for my upstairs living room. I probably have 1/4 of the MSRP's invested in the system. So shop around and hopfully you can find some deals.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I was looking at the Panasonic systems because of cost and matching the TV, allowing me to use the Viera Link on it (for now). This is more of a temporary setup until I have a place to install a full 5.1 system. Any place local that has the DT bar and I could listen to it?

Official Motown Events Director Hugger Z's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I was looking at the Panasonic systems because of cost and matching the TV, allowing me to use the Viera Link on it (for now). This is more of a temporary setup until I have a place to install a full 5.1 system. Any place local that has the DT bar and I could listen to it?
    Best Buy sells it and some of the Magnolia centers had the bigger soundbar in them. I would call around and see if they still have it in their studio so you could check it out. I had just missed out on the bigger soundbar at the BB I got the subwoofer at. But I am VERY happy with the smaller one I ended up getting. It is more than enough for the room. The bigger one may have overpowered it too easily.

If you are looking at the Panasonic systems, just make sure you can listen to them or they have a good return policy if you do not like how it sounds once you get it home and test it out. Your ears will tell you what you like and what you don't. My ears are picky and don't like distortion so I pick up on that stuff more than others.
    Last edited by Hugger Z; 11-28-2011 at 01:21 PM.
    My Toys: Hugger Orange 1999 Z28 6-Spd Twin Turbo
    1937 Chevy Pick Up Extended Cab (1 of 1)
    Future Toy: Orange Ultima GTR or SLC...

Thread Information