Page 26 of 78 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast

Thread: The ask Tin about audio thread

Forum Member

Funny you mention SETs, because when I say I'm putting together a 2 channel system, I mean I'm planning to DIY a 2 channel system, at least in the amp and speaker department. I don't have a specific set of speakers I'm trying to build because I want to assemble and experiment with different designs, and initially I'll start with some inexpensive Tube amp designs. I just want to put together a starting point as far as speakers without breaking the bank, so right now I'm looking at full ranger driver type designs for practicality and a starting point.

My goal is to put together a few initial components that actually work together or don't end up being a waste of time -- I'd rather be listening and adjusting than trying to figure out why I'm getting no sound, which is the basis for my question.

I'm familiar with electronics and have a small workshop, and I repair vintage synthesizers for myself and others from time to time, and I'm on and off working on my own modular synthesizer modules for common formats, but all my work has been before the amp and speaker, so this is new to me.

Depending on the type of music you listen to, you might not take a liking to single full range drivers. They can sound spectacular, but theyre best suited to less complex music, that was my experience anyway. There is a way around this though, you can always do MJK Open Baffles and go with an active crossover, that way the driver wont beam its upper mids/highs because the cone isnt trying to make bass at the same time. The open baffles can be done rather cheap, should run you less than $500 in parts. The best part of an open baffle is the di-pole radiation, the room has less of an influence on the final sound than a box design. Another good high efficiency candidate is the Econowave, there are many variations, and the crossover boards and and other parts are readily available. The Econowave is modeled after the Altec Model 19...or A7 Voice Of The Theater, going by their retail name. As far as amps, there are many great designs out there. By far, the most popular ones would be the JE Labs Simple 2A3, or the JE Labs 300B Deluxe. Lots of options out there. The 2A3 is probably the easiest triode to work with...as many have said, there arent many bad sounding 2A3 amps out there.
    Last edited by Tin; 12-12-2012 at 04:52 PM.
    '16 Fiesta ST

As you can see, SET amps are pretty simple circuits...generally not much in the signalpath other than maybe a resistor or capacitor, sometimes an interstage transformer depending on the design. Some are even directly coupled.

JE Labs 2A3 (3WPC)

JE Labs 300B (8WPC)

Another very popular one is the Loftin White 2A3, its directly coupled....just a resistor in the signalpath. Thats about as pure of a signal as you can get.

In some solid state equipment, the signal will travel through countless resistors and capacitors before it finally reaches the speakers.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    Whats the AVR doing? Symptoms?
    nothing wrong with the AVR. The Sunfire Subwoofer volume knob from time to time acts up. The volume gets picky when set at a certain level not wanting to turn on all the time (fixing it takes just moving volume up/down) and it's good. I have thought of sending it straight to Sunfire they said a flat rate of ??? can't remember to fix it. Thanks

Polk Audio TSi500's... Can you use 2 for left and right front channel and 2 for rear right and left channel on 5.1?
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Quote Originally Posted by suggtt48116 View Post
    nothing wrong with the AVR. The Sunfire Subwoofer volume knob from time to time acts up. The volume gets picky when set at a certain level not wanting to turn on all the time (fixing it takes just moving volume up/down) and it's good. I have thought of sending it straight to Sunfire they said a flat rate of ??? can't remember to fix it. Thanks
    Get some DeOxit and spray out the potentiometer . Itll run you about $7.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by ReiKo View Post
    Polk Audio TSi500's... Can you use 2 for left and right front channel and 2 for rear right and left channel on 5.1?
    Absolutely. That would be better than the usual way of having stand mount speakers for the rears. Having floor standers all around means you get more bass and a better sense of realism If you can, try and run 2 subwoofers...since bass is omni-directional, Id put them at opposite corners of the room. Im looking at houses in your neighborhood...Ill know where to send the cops in the event of loud noise
    Last edited by Tin; 12-12-2012 at 08:52 PM.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    Absolutely. That would be better than the usual way of having stand mount speakers for the rears. Having floor standers all around means you get more bass and a better sense of realism If you can, try and run 2 subwoofers...since bass is omni-directional, Id put them at opposite corners of the room. Im looking at houses in your neighborhood...Ill know where to send the cops in the event of loud noise
    I conned my brother into buying abunch of the AV stuff for his house... Mine won't be done till I get the basement done... Then it's open season....
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Quote Originally Posted by ReiKo View Post
    I conned my brother into buying abunch of the AV stuff for his house... Mine won't be done till I get the basement done... Then it's open season....
    Let me know when youre ready. How big is the basement? If you have the room, I can track down some good Klipsch Heritage stuff.

3 Klipsch Heresys...for the center and rears

A pair of Klipsch Cornwalls for the fronts mains

You might not even need a sub with all of that...the Cornies will dig down into the high 20Hz range when room gain is taken into consideration
    '16 Fiesta ST

Ok tin got a problem got a 01 f350 diesel after market radio with 3 amps. I have the plug that u hook into the rca ins to run my ipod and satellite radio well when i plug either those in and the are hooked into cig lighter i get engine noise bad unhook from cig no engine noise what is causing this and how can i fix it?
    BADDOG MOTORSPORTS - "If you can't run with the BADDOG stay on the porch"

66 Chevelle
    CBR 1100
    68 Grand Prix - The cruiser

Thread Information